Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 PM

178 posts, read 399,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
That everyone would put their location in the upper right hand corner where their join date and other info is, and everyone would please use spell check. I understand typo's but when someone repeatedly misspells words,it makes them look dumber than a box of rocks,thank you.
I think this is interesting coming from someone who uses terrible sentence structure and fails to use spaces with commas.

If you're going to start a thread to criticise spelling on a message board your post better damn well be immaculate in every way.

Or you could just accept the fact that not everyone cares about spelling as much as you do, and not let something so trivial bother you. Lets be honest, we're not writing formal legal documents on this forum.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:15 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBall View Post
I think this is interesting coming from someone who uses terrible sentence structure and fails to use spaces with commas.

If you're going to start a thread to criticise spelling on a message board your post better damn well be immaculate in every way.

Or you could just accept the fact that not everyone cares about spelling as much as you do, and not let something so trivial bother you. Lets be honest, we're not writing formal legal documents on this forum.
He didn't say anything about sentence structure or spaces with commas, he said something about spelling, a lot of which is abysmal around here. I think a quick read-through of a post can't hurt. After all, we're trying to communicate with words here. There's nothing wrong with doing it right.

I'm wondering about the people who feel the need to stop by and protest the existence of this thread.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:15 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
and everyone would please use spell check. I understand typo's but when someone repeatedly misspells words,it makes them look dumber than a box of rocks,thank you.
Then let that person continually look dumb. If you can't stand it, don't read what the person has to say.

It's unbelievable what people let bother them.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:37 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
There is nothing worse than an Internet spell patrol. People type on forums, and write fast. They don't spell check like it's some English 402 final. Chill out. Why would somebody create a thread like this?

I agree wholeheartedly. Everybody has a different level of writing/spelling/grammar skills. This forum is about voicing opinions from people from all walks of life. It is not about showing that you had an advanced composition course in college and that your skill level is a "bit superior".. as church lady would say.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:39 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Fynding (sometymez intenshunally) mizspeld wordz online doesn't make me feel smart, it makez me lament the lozz of standardz whin it comz to English vis a vis the innernetz. Somebody from "Real America" should understand that.
Hooked on phonics worked for me

Old 02-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
To sum it up: it would be REALLY nice if everyone used a spell checker. We, as a community, would really appreciate it.
Having said that as long as the post, even if poorly constructed and spelled, conveys the message - focus on it, rather than focusing on "grammer". This is not an English class you know.
Yac.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:30 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBall View Post

Chill bro, I wasn't criticize any one, just making a suggestion that's all. I have read posts where the spelling was so bad or there were so many abbreviations, I could barely understand what was said.We are not texting, so I would also suggest using a little less abbreviating also.BTW:You misspelled criticize

Old 02-17-2009, 06:55 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
Quote:
I wasn't criticize any one
This makes no sense. BAN THIS GUY!

Old 02-17-2009, 07:01 AM

Sorry my bad, goes to show even the immaculate make mistakes.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
To sum it up: it would be REALLY nice if everyone used a spell checker. We, as a community, would really appreciate it.
Having said that as long as the post, even if poorly constructed and spelled, conveys the message - focus on it, rather than focusing on "grammar". This is not an English class you know.
Yac.
I agree and was only making a suggestion, sorry some took it so personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh