U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 03:17 PM

659 posts, read 954,064 times
;( good god...what an image that brings up for me! Lol!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,635 times
I grew up around Irish mobsters and saw some things, they were particularly influential in the homestead/munhall area

Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 PM

11,355 posts, read 6,783,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jap124 View Post
The last poster is correct. Youngstown was controlled by the Pittsburgh mafia and had guys like Lenny Strollo and Charles Porter there (if my memory is correct). Eventually Porter flipped and Pittsburgh mafia operations in Ohio and WV virtually came to a stop. Cleveland always had dealings in Youngstown but I do not think there was ever a dispute between the Cleveland and Pittsburgh families (mainly cause both of the families were relatively weak for a number of years).

*Here is some information on the mafia in Youngstown (I think its the 13th post down) does anyone keep up on real life La Cosa Nostra? - IGN Boards
I'm adding a link to what's usually recalled as one of the most brazen acts of violence in Youngstown, back in the early Sixties.

Toledo Blade - Google News Archive Search

The reference to New Kensington's Volpe brothers in Post #8 leads me to speculate whether they might have been related to Santo Volpe, who is sometimes cited as one of the founders of organized crime in Northeasten Pennsylvania. It would apppear from this discussion that the Smoky City. like the Anthracite region, saw a good deal of organized low-level criminal activity, but very little violence among the participants, at least locally.

http://www.onewal.com/w-volpe.html

Santo Volpe died in 1958, appparently of natural caises, but by that time, contol of Mafia activity in Northeastern Pennsylvania had passed to Joseph Barbrera, who owned the vaction home in Apalachin. New York which figured prominently in the notorious "Gangland Convention" police raid of 1957.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-18-2012 at 12:21 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 02:37 PM

43 posts, read 134,405 times
There is mafia in Pittsburgh. Anthony Marasco is guilty of hit and run. Sure he wasn't connected, with an Italian surname. Sounds like a mob hit was called in to me.

Last edited by Cosa Nostra CO1821; 12-18-2012 at 03:02 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 21,945 times
Hello, I stumbled on this site because I was searching for answers. I was remembering my times at the Holiday House. I Google searched it. Some how I was led to this site and the many posts with names that are familiar in my life and my search for answers. I'm the daughter who's dad was in the middle of the Massage Parlor wars back in the 70's. I won't say who. My Grandfather was at the Appalachian mountains gathering, there are pics. Not sure if he was at any level.

That whole massage parlor thing left a lasting impression on my siblings too. I have answers to a lot of questions surrounding my father death. I blocked out a lot of things and they have been coming back for many years!

Anybody have any input on the subject?

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM

7,542 posts, read 8,078,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsicily View Post
That whole massage parlor thing left a lasting impression on my siblings too. I have answers to a lot of questions surrounding my father death. I blocked out a lot of things and they have been coming back for many years!

Anybody have any input on the subject?

Thanks!

The "massage parlor war" of the 1970's wasn't a war at all. Although it was certainly publicized as such back when it was going down.

An ex-con by the name of Richard Henkel used a bomb to take out the Gemini rub joint which is where Morton's is now on Liberty Ave, because he had taken a large life insurance policy on one of masseuses.

Source: "Serial Killing for Profit" by Paul Maryniak, published in Pittsburgh Characters told by Pittsburgh Characters, The Iconoclast Press, 1991.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:18 AM

It was a war. When a guy named George Lee who owned the Parlors was murdered, the fight over who would take over started with that bomb. I was able to piece together all that I remember by searching the Google archives. I'm not sure there was a connection to the mob but, I was able to search the achieves with the names I remember.

During that time I was taken out of school along with my siblings and put in hiding for what felt like an eternity. I remember taking a drive with my dad in a van and had to get on the floor while he dodged bullets. Driving crazy all through the neighborhood to get away. We were just going to Isley's deli.

Names in my memory that I would like to just forget are Nick Delucia and his creepy drug addict son.
They killed my dad. I heard the name chucky Porter a lot when my dad would talk around family. I remember Jo Jo Pecora from going to his family's house on holidays (related by marriage).

I wanted to see if there was a connection to any organized crime. I read lots of articles and the speculation was, that it was. With the names I heard during the short time I had with my dad and the stuff us children had to deal with, it was something. Maybe Nick Delucia was a wannabe! maybe those parlors were insignificant to the mob at the time. They generated a lot of money still to fight over. I spent three months out of school stuck at Nick Delucias house. I heard a lot and saw a lot. I blocked it out after we left Pittsburgh in 1979, I was 14. I have a chip on my shoulder now, I had it for a long time. I guess its to late to do anything about it.

I lost my dad over it! And it wasn't natural causes!

Thanks for your reply!
dsicily

Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 AM
gg

16,929 posts, read 17,174,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsicily View Post
I wanted to see if there was a connection to any organized crime..... I guess its to late to do anything about it.

I lost my dad over it! And it wasn't natural causes!

Thanks for your reply!
dsicily

Sorry to hear about your father, but...

What do you mean "if there was a connection"? Porter was in court and in the news and that whole thing was pretty public. This wasn't some small time deal here. I am not sure what you are looking for here? Are you trying to blame someone? I don't think you are going to get an answer you are going to want to hear, but good luck.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:28 AM

Yeah...I know. I was just trying to piece together what it all was about. When myself and my sibling get together we talk about it and we get so pissed off!, and want to say something about what we know, nobody bothered to ask the children anything at the time. We were left stunned by the whole thing. Beating a dead horse, I guess.

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 AM

43 posts, read 134,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jap124 View Post
Uptown---I think you may be viewing the mafia in the wrong light. They are not notorious for shooting it out toe-to-toe in back streets. In fact, the mafia believes that more murder brings more heat and would try at all costs to avoid public confrontations. Instead, they work in a much more sophisticated manner. La Cosa Nostra controls politicians, judicial figures, and especially the police. Chances are that the mafia would take action through those resources rather than through straight murder---not that there wouldn't be a fair share of that also.

One other advantage that the mob has is that their members are not often (or at least not supposed to be) clearly noticed. Gangs, on the other hand, are boisterous and easily found. I would not be surprised to see the mafia create an elaborate plan to wipe out a whole gang set---which would undoubtedly send a message. Mafia hits are not like gang hits where they just drive up and start firing. Instead, they are masked and planned out in a way that makes it extremely difficult to see it coming (i.e. watch almost any mafia movie. Many of the murder plots are realistic or even based upon true stories).

As far as outright conflict though, the mafia and gangs do sometimes work together. Murder for hire is an especially profitable act for gangs. The mob doesn't want to be indicated, so they contract it out to gangs. Also, the mafia can use gangs as drug distributions networks. Just because they are in the same region does not mean that they couldn't work together. The movie American Gangster illustrates this. Even though some of it is not accurate, the basic concept is that the mafia and drug dealers worked together to make money off narcotics. (in reality Frank Lucas was supplied with mafia drugs for much of his tenure as a dealer. He didn't control the mob in any way.)

These are really the only cross-over areas of the mafia and gangs. The mob makes a majority of their money from extortion, racketeering, construction, loansharking, gambling, and union infiltration along with heists, fraud, illegal stock play, and other schemes.

As far as the Penn Hills crew, I would say that there is no way they are connected with the mafia. First, they are too young---many mafia members don't become fully involved until mid to late 20's. Almost all mafia members are made after their 30th and, in many cases, their 40th birthdays. Second, I haven't heard of any known mafia members being involved with this crew. Thirdly, I don't believe the Pittsburgh mafia would be involved in such high-risk ventures. La Cosa Nostra has much better, safer, and smarter means of making money. And, lastly, these kids call themselves the 'Penn Hills Family'. The mafia is all about respect. They would never be able to call themselves anything but the 'LaRocca Family' (which is the official name of the Pittsburgh mafia family). Since none of them would be made yet either, they would actually not even be allowed to refer to themselves as part of the 'LaRocca Family'. Even if they were made, mafia memebers are not allowed to acknowledge that the mob exists. So referring to themselves as any family would show a lack of respect.

H-Curtis---The Pagans are very organized and dangerous. They have, however, dwindled in size over the past 20 years. Indictments and convictions have almost crippled them. After a while, there was a resurgence and they are by no means as down as the mafia. Even though they have taken plenty of hits, they are still considered one of the biggest 5 outlaw motorcycle clubs in the country---and any group in the top 10 is absurdly powerful/dangerous.

One thing working against them is the recent string of presidents arrested. Over the past couple of years the Pagans National presidents have lost 2 presidents. The first one is WV and then just over the summer the new national president was arrested here in Pittsburgh (actually in Arona, Hempfield which is just down the road from me). The organization is still so large that they were able to battle the Hell's Angels toe-to-toe a couple of years ago. There are about 400 members in 44 chapters in 8 states. The Pagans clubhouse in Washington County was recognized as the national clubhouse for the entire organization a few years ago. I believe it still is, but I am not positive.

Just about hits the nail on the head. Especially with police etc. Plead guilty to small crimes to pay off law enforcement. Today Andrew Marasco does errands from east Ohio to Pittsburgh. Mobile connections which the older folks do not use much of. He recently was arrested for obstruction of justice. He speaks Italian and knows others that do also. Andrew Marasco is "made", committed arson to a closed Budget Lodge motel that has recently been demolished. Andrew Marasco also delt drugs trading by using pill identifier. He knows how to buy items off Ebay with Paypal while using "Tamper Data" to change the amount payable to a false amount [rarely done the government will track you down if you don't cover your tracks; e-mail, shipping address, etc.] Geno Chiarelli, Anthony Durish, Charles Porter, Louis Raucci, etc. of the First Seneca Bank heist. Mike Genovese was their padrino. Yes there still is Mafioso along with biker gangs. Low-key. Not as much as eastern PA, where there are more Mafioso. http://onewal.com/ Omerta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh