U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,439,195 times

Advertisements

With the North Shore Connector boring machine completing it's duty this week, I feel this an appropriate time to post this website. Yes, I do agree the money would have been better spent elsewhere. Having said that, let's look at the positives this will bring. It will be nice to go from Station Square to Heinz Field in ten minutes or less without battling the elements or traffic. It will open up the North Shore to Downtown and all of what I consider to be Downtown...i.e..the Golden Triangle, Station Square, and The North Shore, will now be connected via light rail. Since it will open in two years, let's not lament the "waste of taxpayer money." It is here to stay. Let's see a silver lining and the benefits it will have.
The Bore to the Shore - The North Shore Connector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 AM

2,197 posts, read 3,955,567 times
It really wasn't a waste, despite what many think, including Governor Eddie. It was use or lose money. So, we used it. Why Eddie made the comments he did last week is beyond ANYONE. He knew, and has approved, what this project has been about from virtually the beginning. I think he was just crying/disappointed that Philly didn't get the money for a major project like this in the first place. I'm actually glad to see that some of the Pittsburgh politicians are sticking to their guns and standing up to Governor Eddie on his comments from last week.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 AM

8,893 posts, read 7,816,066 times
Rendell is a strange one sometiems, he also said the PA convention center in Philly was a waste, despite supporting the project. when's the tunnel to oakland starting?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 AM

372 posts, read 519,279 times
There won't be a tunnel to Oakland. It would be too expensive.

Of course, when they were doing all of the repairs to Boulevard of the Allies they could have anticipated LRT and built, accordingly. But Allegheny County's Planning Commission was wrapped into the Economic Development Agency and that was a mistake. Regional planning is about making choices that benefit the entire region. Most "economic development" in Allegheny County in the last decade has been big-box retailers stealing business from existing communities.

Good regional planning would say "We don't need another Walmart, here, we need better infrastructure to get people to and from the Walmart!". Economic development types say "Sure, give us the money and we'll build it and worry about the empty storefronts later."

The Waterfront cannibalized Sq. Hill and Station Square and the South Side works pounded the nail into the coffin.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
when's the tunnel to oakland starting?
Sarcasm?

Either way, I'll answer. There will be no tunnel to Oakland. If the project ever gets off the ground it will be street level light rail.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:25 PM

8,893 posts, read 7,816,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Sarcasm?

Either way, I'll answer. There will be no tunnel to Oakland. If the project ever gets off the ground it will be street level light rail.
I thought I saw they submitted the plan for consideration for funds from the stimulus bill (allocation for transit). something like a $5 bn project with a tunnel and street running network. maybe I was dreaming.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I thought I saw they submitted the plan for consideration for funds from the stimulus bill (allocation for transit). something like a $5 bn project with a tunnel and street running network. maybe I was dreaming.
It's possible, but that's news to me.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:21 AM

372 posts, read 519,279 times
Quote:
I doubt it. The region's long term transportation plan has been included in the overall economic plan of the Southwestern Pennsylvania Regional Planning Commission whose members are, drum roll, politicians!

Welcome To Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission!

If you look, they have identified almost $7 billion in bridge and roadway repairs and improvements, ALONE. Their view of innovation is to build more Park and Rides. Their consultants, Michael Baker, tossed out LRT to many places as being not cost justified compared to busses. They never considered heavy rail (why would anyone want to build low speed LRT to Cranberry?) and they never considered the numerous economic studies which show that the value and use of property increases in proximity to rail much more than it does for roads.

Part of the problem with our home grown system of politicians is that most have never lived anywhere else. Those of us who knew Washington DC before they put the Metro in (and those who owned property in Silver Spring, Gathersburg, Shady Grove, Germantown and elsewhere), have seen what an impact heavy rail had on these communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh