Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:08 PM

156 posts, read 296,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I think I would pick the Cork Factory in the Strip over the Waterfront. Frankly, the Waterfront is no different than malls in countless other cities. Your boyfriend doesn't understand the strip. It is neat place to shop for food and grab a cup of coffee. On Saturday morning the place is packed with people. The strip is a lot closer to town and to Shadyside. I would look for corporate housing in Shadyside or in the South Side Works. I would think that you would like these places better and wouldn't feel so isolated.
I second the suggestion to check out corporate housing in Shadyside or South Side Works. Also, Mt Washington.

I wouldn't want to live at the Waterfront. It is not a real neighborhood, as other people mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,250 times
Default Want to rent a great place on eighth street in homestead

RELOCATING FROM MICHIGAN-PROFESSIONAL COUPLE AND ARE THINKING ABOUT LEASING A SECOND AND THIRD FLOOR UNIT FROM THE COOKING STORE FOLKS.

IS HOMESTEAD REALLY THAT BAD OR DOES IT REPUTATION PRECEDE IT. SEEMS TO BE AN AREA THAT IS READY FOR GENTRIFICATION. iS IT SAFE TO GO OUT A NIGHT? i LIKE THE THOUGHT OF HAVING EVERYTHING SO ACCESSABLE.

AM I CRAZY TO LIVE THERE?

Old 04-18-2010, 08:20 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Homestead while you would be right in the Waterfront's back door is not an up and coming area just yet...Still very much Ghetto and rundown...

If you want to be close to the waterfront 3 options to look at

-you could live on the Waterfront...the train tracks really separate the Waterfront from the rest of Homestead and you have easy access to the Highlevel or Rankin Bridges.

- Greenfield much better choice and is very close

- Somerset - very close to Waterfront but very Suburban in the city feel

- Swissvale - very middle class nothing trendy but would still be close to waterfront.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,076 times
The waterfront is basically a pretty nice outdoor shopping mall surrounded by a strip mall with a supermarket and some other stores. Just depends whether living across the street from that sort of thing is appealing or not.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:51 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
with the Housing down on the Waterfront....I'm thinking of the Waterfront more as a Lifestyle Center rather that just an Big Box Mall....

Threater
Banks
Grocery Store
Big Box
Resturants (Fast and Casual)
Boutiques
Comedy Club

Has everything a resident of the Waterfront would need, only time I would need to leave is to go to work and come home.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 386 times
Homestead has trains, (lots of trains AKA loud) crime and it's a great place to shop (in the day light hours) but not after dusk. Very shady, no pun intended. Upon moving to Pitt, I sublet both places and Cork is the way to go. I may know someone interested in subletting as well. The strip is great, lively, great community, vibrant millennials & diversity of professional people, a close walk to Cultural dist, even the stadium & fields. The area feels safe, is quiet, right on the river and you won't be afraid of walking on the river here as in Homestead. Cheers and enjoy your relocation!

Cork is where it's at for sure. Homestead is, unfortunately, crime laden & very frequent/ loud train traffic as well if the sublet is near the shopping area. The shopping doesn't outweigh the safety & noise. Cork is in the strip which is quiet, friendly, lots of food, drink, entertainment nearby. Short walk to Cultural Dist & can walk to PNC & Heinz Field/ concert venues & walking along the river is actually safe there, in Homestead doesn't feel so much unless you're with someone for safety. May know someone with a sublet if you choose Cork.

Last edited by Yac; 03-23-2017 at 03:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh