Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:12 PM

371 posts, read 798,757 times

Advertisements

I'll tell you a little secret:

The Ohio Valley is poised to become the best place to live in Allegheny County.

The Ohio River Valley includes Route 51 on the South shore and Route 65 on the North shore (yes, the river runs mostly West out of Pittsburgh). Along this stretch of communities are opportunities for gentrification and economic development.

The steel towns here have gone through their share of problems, but are on a resurgence. If the President gets his way, and if clean coal proponents are successful, and if our idiots in DC finally recognize the importance of the Inland Waterways and the railroads to economic competitiveness, the Ohio Valley will be in a position to take advantage of it. It has the (now idle) power plants to power manufacturing and the rivers and railroads to ship raw materials and product.

But even as it is, this part of the County is beautiful. The river on which Ambridge sits was carved out by glaciers and there are steep hills (little mountains), on either side. Sunsets on the Ohio River can make you forget that you are in Pittsburgh where the rest of the city is separated from the water by ill-conceived roadways. At least Boston figured out how to get the taxpayers to pay to bury these roads whereas in Pittsburgh, we argue about how to lower the safety barriers so that people driving through the city for a brief three minutes have a spectacular view.

Go up to the Monongahela incline and you'll see pictures of when the city stretched, unimpeded, to the river. Boats would pull ashore and cars would park along the banks and bathers would bask in the sun.

But I'm getting too far afield.

Ambridge has good access to a number of areas. The Beaver Valley Mall in Monaca is close, and the area includes movie theatres, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target and all the rest. Rochester has a Giant Eagle (supermarket) in the old Kaufmann's (department store) and there is a Giant Eagle in the Quaker Village shopping center about two miles down the road from the city, itself.

Cranberry is not that far away; about 15-20 minutes by road, but the roads are tortuous and not always easy to travel in winter. But it isn't a bad trip and it is fun to travel up Route 65 and see signs that say "To Freedom" (the path to Cranberry is Freedom Road).

A little farther away is Robinson and the Pointe which has much of the same things as Cranberry. You cross the river (I'd recommend the Ambridge Bridge), and head down 51 until you get to University Drive, up the hill, turn left, and you are there; about 30 minutes or less.

The towns surrounding Ambridge are stable. They've learned to survive since the mills disappeared and they haven't all been overrun with Dollar General stores. As I said, I think that in this area you stand to buy low and sell high if you are in it for the long haul.

Bridgewater is a tiny little community which starts where the Beaver River meets the Ohio. It is about 15 minutes from Ambridge town center and in the summer a riverfront bar, Kellys, brings in sand and palm trees to create a South Pacific type outdoor dining experience. The food is so-so and if you are into premium vodkas (the real ones, not the pretenders), forget it and the broadleaf trees across the river belie the experience but you can forget all that and bury your naked feet in the sand.

Bottom line, in Ambridge (and the surrounding communities), you are far enough away from anything to be seriously concerned but close enough to what you need to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,661,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLeaphorn View Post
I'll tell you a little secret:

The Ohio Valley is poised to become the best place to live in Allegheny County.

The Ohio River Valley includes Route 51 on the South shore and Route 65 on the North shore (yes, the river runs mostly West out of Pittsburgh). Along this stretch of communities are opportunities for gentrification and economic development.

The steel towns here have gone through their share of problems, but are on a resurgence. If the President gets his way, and if clean coal proponents are successful, and if our idiots in DC finally recognize the importance of the Inland Waterways and the railroads to economic competitiveness, the Ohio Valley will be in a position to take advantage of it. It has the (now idle) power plants to power manufacturing and the rivers and railroads to ship raw materials and product.

But even as it is, this part of the County is beautiful. The river on which Ambridge sits was carved out by glaciers and there are steep hills (little mountains), on either side. Sunsets on the Ohio River can make you forget that you are in Pittsburgh where the rest of the city is separated from the water by ill-conceived roadways. At least Boston figured out how to get the taxpayers to pay to bury these roads whereas in Pittsburgh, we argue about how to lower the safety barriers so that people driving through the city for a brief three minutes have a spectacular view.

Go up to the Monongahela incline and you'll see pictures of when the city stretched, unimpeded, to the river. Boats would pull ashore and cars would park along the banks and bathers would bask in the sun.

But I'm getting too far afield.

Ambridge has good access to a number of areas. The Beaver Valley Mall in Monaca is close, and the area includes movie theatres, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target and all the rest. Rochester has a Giant Eagle (supermarket) in the old Kaufmann's (department store) and there is a Giant Eagle in the Quaker Village shopping center about two miles down the road from the city, itself.

Cranberry is not that far away; about 15-20 minutes by road, but the roads are tortuous and not always easy to travel in winter. But it isn't a bad trip and it is fun to travel up Route 65 and see signs that say "To Freedom" (the path to Cranberry is Freedom Road).

A little farther away is Robinson and the Pointe which has much of the same things as Cranberry. You cross the river (I'd recommend the Ambridge Bridge), and head down 51 until you get to University Drive, up the hill, turn left, and you are there; about 30 minutes or less.

The towns surrounding Ambridge are stable. They've learned to survive since the mills disappeared and they haven't all been overrun with Dollar General stores. As I said, I think that in this area you stand to buy low and sell high if you are in it for the long haul.

Bridgewater is a tiny little community which starts where the Beaver River meets the Ohio. It is about 15 minutes from Ambridge town center and in the summer a riverfront bar, Kellys, brings in sand and palm trees to create a South Pacific type outdoor dining experience. The food is so-so and if you are into premium vodkas (the real ones, not the pretenders), forget it and the broadleaf trees across the river belie the experience but you can forget all that and bury your naked feet in the sand.

Bottom line, in Ambridge (and the surrounding communities), you are far enough away from anything to be seriously concerned but close enough to what you need to get it.

You have just made me home sick to the max! I was born and raised in the Ohio Valley... That I know. It's Pa I dont know, and that is where the job is. I think the position of the job, in Ambridge, it is not far from home.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:15 PM

Do you think the Ohio River could flood?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
You had me just right. I do want rural surburban with close enough to get where I need to get!
I have a dad like your mom. It's good they are able to drive still.
How close is Cranberry to Economy?
Real close about 10-15 minutes. Yeah -- my mom's a stitch. She recently told me her Aunt Grace just got a walker..... just for when she goes out to dinner and errands.

Aunt Grace is 100, and still works in her garden daily.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Real close about 10-15 minutes. Yeah -- my mom's a stitch. She recently told me her Aunt Grace just got a walker..... just for when she goes out to dinner and errands.

Aunt Grace is 100, and still works in her garden daily.

That's awesome. I hope we're like that someday too.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
When I was a kid, my dad used to talk about the St. Patrick's Day flood of 1936 (before my time, sorry to inform some of you who think I'm 80 yrs old myself). The Ohio flooded severely. My dad used to especially mention the pews floating in the sanctuary of the Lutheran church in Freedom, no longer there. I think after that wake-up call, flood control measures were built, and I think any flooding since has been somewhat minor.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:47 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
It appears it does -- there's a wikipedia entry about the Ohio River Flood of 1937, but it also looks like the flooding impacts down in Ohio and west.

As an offshoot -- I do know in the Beaver Cemetery there are two females found dead in the Beaver River, one a child of about four and another a woman in her 20's -- both of them were buried as victims of the Johnstown Flood (1889).

Hubby's from Beaver -- we used to ride bikes in the cemetery. I love cemeteries. I've got list to hit when I come in October... to get pictures for the family genealogy....

Old 02-27-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When I was a kid, my dad used to talk about the St. Patrick's Day flood of 1936 (before my time, sorry to inform some of you who think I'm 80 yrs old myself). The Ohio flooded severely. My dad used to especially mention the pews floating in the sanctuary of the Lutheran church in Freedom, no longer there. I think after that wake-up call, flood control measures were built, and I think any flooding since has been somewhat minor.
See, I grew up next to the Ohio River on the Ohio side. Then I moved here and got flooded. Now thinking of moving back only this time on the Pa side of the ohio River, you can see why I am cautious now. I see water different now. I would hate to come up there and get flooded again. I would hate for anyone to get flooded.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It appears it does -- there's a wikipedia entry about the Ohio River Flood of 1937, but it also looks like the flooding impacts down in Ohio and west.

As an offshoot -- I do know in the Beaver Cemetery there are two females found dead in the Beaver River, one a child of about four and another a woman in her 20's -- both of them were buried as victims of the Johnstown Flood (1889).

Hubby's from Beaver -- we used to ride bikes in the cemetery. I love cemeteries. I've got list to hit when I come in October... to get pictures for the family genealogy....

I sure hope it doesnt flood again.

Love cemeterys? Hummm I heard of that before but I dont think I share that feeling with you.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Off-topic but, I love them, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh