U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:17 AM

13,238 posts, read 10,896,925 times

Advertisements

Until recently most grocery stores circulars became effective on Sunday, so people would go shopping on Sunday to get the deals. And lots of people also get the coupons from the Sunday paper and go shopping with them immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 07:08 PM

925 posts, read 2,086,803 times
When I was a little girl everything shut down on Sunday. Very few restaurants were opened even both on Mothers and Fathers Days. Back then you celebrated those holidays with a big home cooked family dinner. Now today not only supermarkets are packed on Sundays but restaurants get very crowded especially after the churches let out. Sometimes the wait to be seated can be up to an hour especially at places like Kings and Eat n Park.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:43 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,078,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
Sometimes the wait to be seated can be up to an hour especially at places like Kings and Eat n Park.
What is the fascination with Kings and Eat n Park? I tried each one once and they were terrible. There are so many better places to eat in this area, but Pittsburghers line up for these two crapholes like they are the only restaurants in town.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:23 AM

2,163 posts, read 2,690,830 times
Market District and Whole Foods in Shadyside are ALWAYS crowded. I usually go on Saturday or Sunday morning at around 8:00 to avoid the lines. Forget about weekends there after 10:00 - it's a mess.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:13 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,363,998 times
Lots of folks stop at the market on their way home from church to pick a couple of things up. If you know what time services let out at churches near the store you can probably predict the busier times on Sundays.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:31 PM

871 posts, read 1,377,485 times
Once again, it never ceases to amaze how people don't value their off days and chose to stand in as many lines and sit in as much traffic as they do on a work day.

I guess I don't understand the question...when are people supposed to get groceries? On weeknights only?

I generally grocery shop on weekends because it's convenient for me, and Sunday is half of the weekend. So there's a 50/50 shot on any given weekend I might grocery shop on a Sunday, I suppose. It's not a choice I make, to go "stand in a line". Then again, maybe my experience is very different. I don't live in the suburbs, I live in Oakland, and I don't seem to need to fight any traffic to get to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Right By Nature, or any of the several Giant Eagles near here. I especially like the Giant Eagle in Squirrel Hill because it's never closed...you can even stop in late at night after going out to a movie or something and grab a few things.

Having moved up here from a southern city, I have to say, grocery shopping here is a dream, and just as easy on Sunday as any other day, thank goodness.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 PM

3,191 posts, read 3,977,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
Once again, it never ceases to amaze how people don't value their off days and chose to stand in as many lines and sit in as much traffic as they do on a work day.

I guess I don't understand the question...when are people supposed to get groceries? On weeknights only?
It wasn't a question, it was a statement.

I've lived in Pittsburgh now for 2 and a half years, and I'm just convincing myself that not only in Pittsburgh, but probably any city it's size or larger, people just don't value their time off. From the traffic I see at a complete standstill Monday through Sunday, to the 2 hour waits for dinner at all the popular "have to be" areas (Robinson, Waterfront, etc) I just see so much time wasted.

Probably the greatest blessing in my life has been marrying my wife, because she shares my common sense and practicality. If we have a Saturday night together, we go somewhere where we know the rest of the city won't be. We help each other with chores during the week and go out and shop during off times (or at least times we would think would be off times). If we go out we utilize things like call ahead seating and enjoy watching people get bent out of shape because they weren't intelligent enough to do the same.

Our life together is precious to us, and it's hard existing in a world where quite a few others don't feel the same.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:55 AM

2,424 posts, read 900,621 times
I remember when hardly any stores were open on Sunday.Sunday was family day and it was nice. That's when mom's stayed home and took care of the kids and only dad worked.I am sorry things have changed for the worse (IMO).Things seemed more laid back then and parents had more time for their kids, rather than everyone working and shopping all the time.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:07 PM

7,617 posts, read 10,669,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
It wasn't a question, it was a statement.

I've lived in Pittsburgh now for 2 and a half years, and I'm just convincing myself that not only in Pittsburgh, but probably any city it's size or larger, people just don't value their time off. From the traffic I see at a complete standstill Monday through Sunday, to the 2 hour waits for dinner at all the popular "have to be" areas (Robinson, Waterfront, etc) I just see so much time wasted.

Probably the greatest blessing in my life has been marrying my wife, because she shares my common sense and practicality. If we have a Saturday night together, we go somewhere where we know the rest of the city won't be. We help each other with chores during the week and go out and shop during off times (or at least times we would think would be off times). If we go out we utilize things like call ahead seating and enjoy watching people get bent out of shape because they weren't intelligent enough to do the same.

Our life together is precious to us, and it's hard existing in a world where quite a few others don't feel the same.
As I read your post, Dana Carvey as the Church Lady came into my head with the line "My, isn't that special?"

I get what you're getting at. But I don't think you're looking at the reality of a lot of people's lives today. We're a long way from when Poppa went to the office at 8 and was home on the dot at 5:30 and Momma stayed home. Both people work and workers are working longer hours at jobs that are demanding more than 40 hours. Add the commute, and people are putting in 10-11 hour days.

Add kids to that mix and you have to run them to games and school activities, to the library for school work. And each kid will his or her own activities and you have to find a way to be there for ALL. Add pets to the mix and you get vet appointments, pet store runs.

Then there's the "we" time -- when you and your spouse get to be friends and lovers again. Important to keep a marriage together.

And where you see time wasted, maybe that's where some quality talking and relating is going on.

But then again -- maybe you are omnipotent, and you just 'know"....

Old 03-04-2009, 12:20 PM

925 posts, read 2,086,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
What is the fascination with Kings and Eat n Park? I tried each one once and they were terrible. There are so many better places to eat in this area, but Pittsburghers line up for these two crapholes like they are the only restaurants in town.
I don't go there that often but alot of folks do ,especially families with kids and church folks. They probably flock to those places for the breakfasts. IMO the food is so-so. As for as family chains go I prefer Cracker Barrel or Bob Evans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh