U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:15 PM

30,735 posts, read 68,429,422 times

Advertisements

What a week it has been! As if learning today that I had landed a lucrative career opportunity with the Federal government in NoVA wasn't enough, it was coming off of the euphoria of being fortunate enough to have been able to visit Pittsburgh for the first time since 1998 on a spontaneous overnight trip with a good friend of mine! We stayed at an old monastery built in 1888 that has been converted into a boutique hotel known as The Priory. While our neighborhood in the Near North Side wasn't conducive for strolling, we most certainly were very convenient to just about everywhere in the city we wanted to access---with the help of our trusty Garmin, of course! LOL!

We ate at Primanti Brothers (The Strip), Church Brew Works (Lawrenceville), and Harris Grill (Shadyside). We also strolled the streets of Squirrel Hill, admired Bloomfield, which is Pittsburgh's "Little Italy," scoped out "Dahntahn", and thoroughly enjoyed Mt. Washington---not only Grandview Avenue, but also that hairpin street that takes you down the steep hillside back to the Station Square area. While in The Strip we made sure to explore all of the local merchants, many of whom we patronized (the chocolate place, the popcorn place, and the wine place were amongst my favorites). The South Side was alive at night with all sorts of nightlife.

I don't quite see why there's so much WHINING on this forum? Your city is amazing. My biggest complaint were the people themselves. So many of you "yinzers" are your own worst enemies. We had no less than FOUR people nearly faint when they found out we were tourists, including a shopkeeper, waitress, and innkeeper! Your city is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Scranton, and yet you all bastardize your city with self-deprecating bliss. Why?

Without further adieu, please enjoy my photos!

I decided to get the token "Scranton tourist takes Mt. Washington" pics out of the way first so as not to bore you at the end!

Downtown Squirrel Hill

Squirrel Hill, my favorite residential Pittsburgh neighborhood!

The views of Mt. Washington MOST tourists don't really appreciate (but I do!)

The view of the city skyline from our hotel parking lot.

Pittsburgh's hip and trendy "Strip District."

The Priory, our gorgeous boutique hotel near the "Gine Iggle" supermarket along Pressley Street.

Ahhhh...the joys of receiving a complimentary upgrade to a King-size room from a standard room just for being cool!

The view of Downtown from the parking lot of the history museum, with the convention center in the foreground.

The awesome history museum we enjoyed!

Pittsburgh's beautiful downtown.

These statues downtown were just too cool to pass up!

Boy meets dinosaur...

...dinosaur gets a bit too "friendly!"

How did Katiana manage to sneak her way into my photo tour?!

Huh? I think we have MUCH better taste than that!

Yes, I DID vote for the husband of Theresa Heinz-Kerry in 2004. Bite me!

Oh my! This just looks so wrong on so many levels!

Gotta love the pickle!

Who knew Rush Limbaugh picked up a second part-time job? Man, this recession is getting tough!

The best lunch spot in Lawrenceville!

Well stated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:03 AM

923 posts, read 2,804,129 times
I have been in Pittsburgh many times and I love the city !! Your pictures are great ! How 'bout the incline, did you take the ride ??

Old 03-07-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
I have been in Pittsburgh many times and I love the city !! Your pictures are great ! How 'bout the incline, did you take the ride ??
Hello there from one NEPA yokel to another (even though this one will soon be moving away...sniffle, sniffle). We decided to go to Pittsburgh on a whim because I hadn't been there since 1998, and this forum in particular had inspired me to see how much the city had changed since then. As such we left Wednesday morning for the city and returned home last night. We didn't have nearly enough time to take in all that we had wanted. I still wanted to see Point State Park, the zoo, the incline, and more of Shadyside, along with the Mexican War Streets. I was bummed also that the Penguins weren't in town, as I'm a HUGE fan!

Old 03-07-2009, 01:44 AM

213 posts, read 568,158 times
I've been here in SoCal for almost 3 years now, and seeing your fresh pictures of my hometown makes me want to come home that much more! Hopefully in June or July it will happen.
Thanks for the pics!!

Old 03-07-2009, 02:57 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,661,409 times
Great pics of our great city Scran Barre! I don't know why so many Pittsburghers are so down on this city. It is one of the best. Some people just do not get out and about enough to see all that Pittsburgh has to offer.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 AM

297 posts, read 403,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Hello there from one NEPA yokel to another (even though this one will soon be moving away...sniffle, sniffle). We decided to go to Pittsburgh on a whim because I hadn't been there since 1998, and this forum in particular had inspired me to see how much the city had changed since then. As such we left Wednesday morning for the city and returned home last night. We didn't have nearly enough time to take in all that we had wanted. I still wanted to see Point State Park, the zoo, the incline, and more of Shadyside, along with the Mexican War Streets. I was bummed also that the Penguins weren't in town, as I'm a HUGE fan!
Aside from the unnecessary MSNBC talking points, nice post with nice pictures. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
Aside from the unnecessary MSNBC talking points, nice post with nice pictures. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.
Thanks. Care to elaborate though on those "unnecessary MSNBC talking points?" I stand firmly by my comments. One thing I'd HATE about settling in Pittsburgh would be having to hear a barrage of "Why did you move HERE?" or "Why would anyone want to vacation HERE?" comments. Pittsburghers REALLY need to work on their self-esteem issues. At one of the wine stores in The Strip, the owner asked if we were from Pittsburgh, and when we told her where we were from and how much we were enjoying our visit, she looked like she was going to keel over in disbelief. The innkeeper just assumed I was staying there to consider a medical residency (although it was a big ego boost to know I gave off the persona of a DOCTOR!) You have a crown jewel of a city that is obviously one of America's best-kept secrets. The mass self-deprecation just makes it somewhat unattractive though. It's the same here in Scranton. People here en masse whine "Woe is us! We're stuck living in this horrid place! Yada, yada, yada!" yet when many people come to visit they leave pleasantly surprised.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:34 AM

1,442 posts, read 3,311,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Thanks. Care to elaborate though on those "unnecessary MSNBC talking points?" I stand firmly by my comments. One thing I'd HATE about settling in Pittsburgh would be having to hear a barrage of "Why did you move HERE?" or "Why would anyone want to vacation HERE?" comments. Pittsburghers REALLY need to work on their self-esteem issues. At one of the wine stores in The Strip, the owner asked if we were from Pittsburgh, and when we told her where we were from and how much we were enjoying our visit, she looked like she was going to keel over in disbelief. The innkeeper just assumed I was staying there to consider a medical residency (although it was a big ego boost to know I gave off the persona of a DOCTOR!) You have a crown jewel of a city that is obviously one of America's best-kept secrets. The mass self-deprecation just makes it somewhat unattractive though. It's the same here in Scranton. People here en masse whine "Woe is us! We're stuck living in this horrid place! Yada, yada, yada!" yet when many people come to visit they leave pleasantly surprised.
Excellent post! I've been up here over 2 years now, and all the negativity from the locals gets really, really, really old. Anytime I meet someone new it's the same old song and dance. "You left Florida to move HERE?" or "oh, so you moved BACK to Pittsburgh." Then I tell them I never lived here before and chose to move here on my own, and I am always met with a blank stare, deer-in-the-headlights look. They simply do not know how to respond to someone just choosing to move here.

Many Pittsburghers are such sheltered people and really have no understanding of what a unique and interesting city this is. I don't know why so many of them enjoy being so negative about EVERYTHING. Pittsburgh is known as a tough town, but I have no idea how it got that reputation, it's really a city of whiners.

Great pictures, by the way!

Old 03-07-2009, 10:35 AM

11,548 posts, read 14,558,254 times
You probably saw more and did more in one weekend than most Pittsburghers do in a year. Glad you had a good time.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:21 AM

88,588 posts, read 104,937,607 times
Great pix! What's with that steer head? Did you take a side trip to Denver or Cheyenne? LOL. Thanks for thinking of me, too. Congrats on the job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or