Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:26 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,525,310 times

Advertisements

Just having a job doesn't make someone happy. I think most people in the Burgh feel that they only have an okay job and not a great one. My guess is that in the other cities people are more satisfied with their careers. Not too mention the fact that it is rarely sunny here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
The black cloud doesn't just hang over Pittsburgh. Western PA, Eastern Ohio, and most of the Northeast is cloudy especially compared to the sunbelt. Everyone has to measure places according to their own pros and cons. I think our summers are awfully hot and humid but they're better to living where you have to be in with the air conditioning all season.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:12 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I think our summers are awfully hot and humid but they're better to living where you have to be in with the air conditioning all season.
I never understood this complaint about Pittsburgh. Hot and humid as opposed to where? The West Coast? Ok, but what other major cities in the east or midwest have less hot and humid summers? I think the summers up here are wonderful.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
I think the poster was referring to the fact that a big, red F plastered on a test paper that used to scare the hell out of students is no longer issued. Teachers now use a purple marker with a less offensive E.
We got red "E"s back in my day in Beaver Falls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I never understood this complaint about Pittsburgh. Hot and humid as opposed to where? The West Coast? Ok, but what other major cities in the east or midwest have less hot and humid summers? I think the summers up here are wonderful.
The averages in Minneapolis and Pittsburgh are almost identical, but Mpls is less humid. Chicago is a little warmer (not much), also less humid. There are probably others.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:00 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
I think that the culture in S.W. Pa. and Pittsburgh is complacent and routine which leads to boredom thus
unhappiness...If they feel they are in a routine ok job..as opposed if you don't like being in a routine and ok job do something about it...

Or it could be people are less civil and mannered now days and walk around looking evil..

Old 03-13-2009, 11:00 AM

66 posts, read 194,658 times
There's not a whole lot that most people can do about being in a crappy job these days. Those with jobs, despite how lousy, should be lucky to have them, seeing as how the rest of us are being laid off and let go left and right.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:46 PM

487 posts, read 1,379,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousPosterIsSerious View Post
Those with jobs, despite how lousy, should be lucky to have them, seeing as how the rest of us are being laid off and let go left and right.
You know, funny you mention this. People tell me this often, and I hesitate to agree. I mean, when things are bad, as they are now that the unemployment rate has exceeded 8%, then 92% of people seeking work are employed. Bear in mind that a certain percentage of people are unemployed at all times, as the unemployment rate never reaches 100% ... even during times of economic expansion.

So, should a sharp guy with a masters degree who consistently outperforms average colleagues feel lucky to be employed when 92% of job seekers are employed?

Feel free to tell me if you think I'm crazy.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:20 PM

32 posts, read 110,505 times
You don't know what miserable is until you've been to Sacramento. It is suppose to be a happier place than Pittsburgh according to that list. I live directly between Sac and San Francisco and haven't met a friendly person in either city. I've had jobs in Pittsburgh that I thought weren't good until I worked here. There wasn't a day in the last year that I didn't have insults or objects hurled at me by the boss. I searched constantly for another job but was told by several coworkers that they had similar bosses before this and that's just the way it was. Thank God I've been laid off now and am headed back to Pittsburgh where the skies might be cloudier but the grass is greener!

Old 03-13-2009, 06:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
You know, funny you mention this. People tell me this often, and I hesitate to agree. I mean, when things are bad, as they are now that the unemployment rate has exceeded 8%, then 92% of people seeking work are employed. Bear in mind that a certain percentage of people are unemployed at all times, as the unemployment rate never reaches 100% ... even during times of economic expansion.

So, should a sharp guy with a masters degree who consistently outperforms average colleagues feel lucky to be employed when 92% of job seekers are employed?

Feel free to tell me if you think I'm crazy.
Yes. I have two neighbors with a master's in physics who are currently unemployed.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:15 PM

91 posts, read 138,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I agree, I think the summers here are splendid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: