Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 14,563 times

Advertisements

Hello
I am getting bids on a deck and Today's Decks (a division of Ryan Homes) so far has given me a very good price. However, Deckmasters gave me an excellent pitch - they seem to have lots of awards and a "do it right" approach to things. But Today's Decks is asking for essentially half the price. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about Ryan Homes.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had something built by either of these companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 08:56 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
Look them both up at BBB online. You can read about complaints and see how they were handled.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:37 PM

91 posts, read 139,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakc View Post
Hello
I am getting bids on a deck and Today's Decks (a division of Ryan Homes) so far has given me a very good price. However, Deckmasters gave me an excellent pitch - they seem to have lots of awards and a "do it right" approach to things. But Today's Decks is asking for essentially half the price. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about Ryan Homes.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had something built by either of these companies?
Nope, but we had stairs built in our back yard going down to the bottom portion of our yard and Deck's By Don did ours. IT LOOKS LIKE SH*T. We have had a dispute with him for a while now using BBB's go between. I'll go take a picture of it and up load what it looks like. He charged us 12 THOUSAND for these things. It's embarrassing, and we thought he was our friend because he is a neighbor and we've socialized with him. Our neighbors are appalled too. And we paid him half in cash so he could save on paying taxes. He never even checked on the two guys to took two half days to built these! AND the steps are a foot and a half too short, no railings as promised that were supposed to be put in at a later date and no landings as promised!!
Don't go near this company!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 12:21 AM

80 posts, read 278,191 times
I live in the S. P. area too & I'd love to see those pix.......

Old 03-24-2009, 09:21 AM

91 posts, read 139,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongohateswinter View Post
I live in the S. P. area too & I'd love to see those pix.......
Hopefully this works: -

Yup - Twelve THOUSAND buckaroos for these babies.
Can you say, "New to the neighborhood??"
Seems we're not the only ones to complain to the BBB about them.
Wonder how long before they change their name?
That's how people like this stay in business right?

Last edited by rubybelle; 03-24-2009 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: picture added

Old 04-03-2009, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 6,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubybelle View Post

Bet you feel like a fool. Are you sure you paid that much money for that mess? 12K is a LOT of dough for a few pieces of wood nailed together! We used a private contractor and got stairs, decks and landings for 6K.

I've never heard of Decks By Don; are they a local company? I'd get a lawyer if I were you. Even if it costs you more in the long run, you'll be able to assist others from being taken advantage of by an obvious fly-by-night company. Good luck to you!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:19 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakc View Post
Hello

I don't know to much about Ryan homes, but I had a friend who worked for them(back in the 80's) and told me he would never buy one, he said they take to many short cuts.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubybelle View Post

If your insurance company ever inspects your property (which they do randomly on occassion), they're going to require you to install railings on those steps. It's amazing how a hillside is considered safer than steps. You don't need a railing for a hillside, but as soon as you put in steps, you need a railing.

I'm not going to beat you up about the price you paid. I'm sure you've already learned to get multiple quotes from different contractors in teh future.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:03 PM

80 posts, read 278,191 times
You have to be kiddin'... That's not even a deck - it looks like an ordinary set of steps - was it at least built out of the new composite material ( trex ? ) instead of wolmanized ??? Did they install posts in concrete footers at least 3 ft. deep ???
Did you approve drawings, etc.??? Was it approved by the building inspector ??? Was a permit issued ??? There's your recourse if a permit wasn't issued...In your defense: If You didn't get the stairs built as described on the drawing that you approved, just go to the magistrate & file a complaint about it being unfinished & built without a permit. In their defense: If they aquired a legal permit & it's built according to the plans & price that you approved - you really don't have a complaint........
Good luck

Old 04-11-2009, 10:40 AM

17 posts, read 124,591 times
Default Any Recommendations?

I'm also in the market for a new deck, any recommendations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh