U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-15-2009, 04:17 PM

94 posts, read 269,649 times

Advertisements

What is the history like in these areas?

Good before, Bad now? Bad before, but good now? Always been good? Always been bad?

I am thinking about buying a house that lies almost right in the middle of carrick and mt oliver as a rental investment.

How does the crime rates there compare to the rest of Pittsburgh? For the location being so close to the city, and the price being decent with the current market, I'm considering buying.

Maybe even living there myself through summer. Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 11:46 PM

2,528 posts, read 4,901,901 times
There is a thread already on Mt Oliver mostly quite negative- lots of personal crime stories- a few more positive posts.

There is an old church for sale near 1800 Arlington and a funny looking building at 300 Brownsville Road which may be Knoxville- anyone know those areas?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:43 AM

4 posts, read 21,681 times
It's not somewhere you would want to move to. It's ashame because it's a great location. Mt. Washington and North Baldwin are close and much safer.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:08 PM

925 posts, read 2,083,006 times
I hope Mount Oliver will eventually see revitalization and improvements. Even though at the current time the area is pretty sketchy, it does have potential. However ,Section 8 tenants ( and not the decent types who have fallen on hard times and need the program temporarily) has been a major part of it's downfall.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:09 PM

925 posts, read 2,083,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsay412 View Post
It's not somewhere you would want to move to. It's ashame because it's a great location. Mt. Washington and North Baldwin are close and much safer.
Where is North Baldwin?

Old 03-19-2010, 05:30 PM

176 posts, read 530,096 times
Carrick is a very descent area of the city, alot of City Employees call it home....Low cost housing, convienent to downtown, south side, south hills...Very low crime rate, excellent public transportation in that area...Carrick High school is certainly one of the better city schools... For an Urban Neighborhood, Carrick is a winner and not to mention you can achieve a tremendous bang for your housing buck...

Mt. Oliver really gets a bad rap, that area is not nearly as bad as people say---Suburbanites drive through it and say, look at this ghetto...Mt. O is full of good affordable housing and with being right at the top of the south side slopes...What an excellent location...As the south side continues it's over priced housing costs, better tenants and homeowners will push up the S. 18th st corridor into Mt. Oliver, maybe alittle renaming and that area could really be the next Lawrenceville...Just my opinion, but what do I know

Old 03-20-2010, 12:30 AM

78 posts, read 146,669 times
I have family in Carrick and visit there often enough. It's much cheaper than most of Pittsburgh but it is a dumpy and dusty little neighborhood (but not quite as bad as Mt Oliver which is right next to it). You have a lot of retired people there but you also have a lot of low income (aka trashy) people there. Some areas far off the main road are decent but the town, over all is drug and crime infested. Just look at people who go in the stores. It is hotter than hell in the summer but very pleasant in the evenings and winters are freezing. There really isn't much going on in Carrick though. It's really sleepy due to the older poplulation. The trashy people will really get under your skin after a while. It's not uncommon to see people driving while smoking with babies in the back seat. Disgusting. If I were you, I would try looking into Mt Washington. A lot more is going on over there.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:59 AM

1,016 posts, read 466,345 times
Carrick is a very nice safe area with affordable homes fact it has less crime then southside Slopes..believe it or not.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:56 AM

913 posts, read 1,574,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
Where is North Baldwin?
north baldwin is on the other side of becks run. it is much nicer, but much more $$$. average houses in n. baldwin are 80k to 120k where as carrick / mt. o houses are anywhere between 10$ to 50k
carrick and mt. oliver used to be nice 20 years ago when i was a kid.all kinds of little shops and nice streets with good poeple.
now it is all trash and drugs and abandoned housess.
there is a few nice parts of carrick left but will soon be trashed too. and the fact its in the city, forget about snow removal or pothhole patching or other basic road maintenence

Old 04-03-2010, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 21,681 times
I live in mt. Oliver.... have my whole life now that I'm 19 and moving out I'm moving 2 a nice street in mt. Washinton. Mt. Oliver really is bad I dealt with it everyday. When I had to take the bus 2 get to school it was always something going on crackhead hugging me some random guy chased
me for awhile I he had me in a headlock and tried dragging me with him. And I'm lucky!!!! My friend got robbed 3 times and they never jump take your stuff and run sadly they have to attack u 2 or pistol whip u even if there girls(they did catch one group of the kids that robbed hi
).... and everyone else got jumped or rob once. But I didn't have 2 take the bus often or walk through mt. Oliver as often as them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh