Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,756 times

Advertisements

Well I came across this thread via a Google search. I grew up in the city (Lincoln Place), and was looking for a house in the North Hills. To my amazement, I came across a house in view of Observatory Hill. The homes address is 3912 Vinceton Bellevue, PA 15214.

Could someone give me some insight into the area? Is it bad where this house is located? The price seems like a steal, and if nothing is actually wrong with the house. My next thought is I have to dodge bullets in my sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:28 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,222 times
First off... that house looks very nice (though I agree the low price might be cause for concern, pending a proper inspection).

Second... full disclosure, there was a pretty brutal shooting that started in the park at the end of Vinceton and ended at the intersection of Vinceton, Bascom, and Perrysville Avenue in 2007.

Man 'calmly' shot to death by masked gunman - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I live in the neighborhood and have been awakened by two drive-by shootings (no one was injured in either).

All that said... I can't say that I live in fear. These acts of violence are by no means random, and the three or four that stick out in my mind have occurred over a period of seven years that I've lived here. A lot of the residents are doing a great job of making Observatory Hill a nice place to live, and I think there's an awful lot more to like about the neighborhood and its perks that outweighs the isolated, targeted, "plane-crash" type incidents that can paint a disproportionately ugly picture.

Good luck with your search.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:35 AM

1 posts, read 829 times
I live with my husband and 2 children in observatory hill. We bought a large home close to the high school 3yr years ago. I am a mechanical engineer and he is a chef. We have never had any problems with the neighborhood - no break ins, no violence, loud disturbances, and the neighbors are very friendly. The only downsides are that the taxes in Allegheny county are higher and the school district is not great. You do have the option of sending your kids to one of the magnet schools though so you are not stuck with any one school in particular.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:11 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
First off... that house looks very nice (though I agree the low price might be cause for concern, pending a proper inspection).

Second... full disclosure, there was a pretty brutal shooting that started in the park at the end of Vinceton and ended at the intersection of Vinceton, Bascom, and Perrysville Avenue in 2007.

Man 'calmly' shot to death by masked gunman - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I live in the neighborhood and have been awakened by two drive-by shootings (no one was injured in either).

All that said... I can't say that I live in fear. These acts of violence are by no means random, and the three or four that stick out in my mind have occurred over a period of seven years that I've lived here. A lot of the residents are doing a great job of making Observatory Hill a nice place to live, and I think there's an awful lot more to like about the neighborhood and its perks that outweighs the isolated, targeted, "plane-crash" type incidents that can paint a disproportionately ugly picture.

Good luck with your search.
Odd to see this thread resurrected and that mine was the previous last post almost four years ago.

A lot has changed in four years. And while I can say that I never felt unsafe there, I can also say that two kids and several acts of vandalism and other nuisance (as well as far more serious crimes) later, I chose to leave.

I'm sad to say that I posted an article about a recent murder then, and I could easily link to a couple recent murders (early 2016) now. But I still don't believe those acts of violence were random. The only caveat is that in terms of vandalism and general tomfoolery, every OH resident is pretty much fair game...

Old 04-01-2016, 08:53 AM

63 posts, read 70,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
Odd to see this thread resurrected and that mine was the previous last post almost four years ago.

A lot has changed in four years. And while I can say that I never felt unsafe there, I can also say that two kids and several acts of vandalism and other nuisance (as well as far more serious crimes) later, I chose to leave.

I'm sad to say that I posted an article about a recent murder then, and I could easily link to a couple recent murders (early 2016) now. But I still don't believe those acts of violence were random. The only caveat is that in terms of vandalism and general tomfoolery, every OH resident is pretty much fair game...

It is odd, what happens is this message board gets wonky sometimes and it will vault old threads on to the first page, and people will often reply to them without noticing the date stamps.

That said, thanks for the follow-up. It was interesting to see your opinion from then to now.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:27 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbryan121 View Post
and the school district is not great. You do have the option of sending your kids to one of the magnet schools though so you are not stuck with any one school in particular.
Perry is the only high school in the north side though, public or not. I couldn't see myself sending my non-existent kids as far as any of the other high school options besides maybe CAPA downtown.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:43 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Perry is the only high school in the north side though, public or not. I couldn't see myself sending my non-existent kids as far as any of the other high school options besides maybe CAPA downtown.
CAPA is pretty close, but you have to hope a child can get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh