Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:05 PM

11 posts, read 50,154 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I found a great house in Troy Hill, that if it were in the East End, would easily be double in price. I visited the property a couple times already, and I have a good feeling about it. I am looking for some testimonials on life in this area. I have already spoken to some people that do live or have lived in this area, including the owner of the property of interest, and it's mixed reviews. I would like to gather more info before I make this choice. I have a wife and 2 small children. Is this a good family area? I've gone up there to get a feel for the area, and it seems like just any other quiet Pittsburgh neighborhood. Please hold any lumped up Northside generalizations. I only want to hear from people who have experience with this neighborhood. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 01:41 PM

172 posts, read 333,034 times
The good: Troy Hill has been a stable neighborhood of homeowners for years and years. A Wall Street Journal was so impressed by it that she wrote a book called "The Women of Troy Hill." The homes are not fancy but are well built and well maintained; neighbors know and look out for each other; community groups (especially Most Holy Name Parish) add to the ties that bind.

The bad: Troy Hill has all the disadvantages of city living (small lots, high taxes, crappy services) and few of the advantages (i.e., there's no real business district, and it's hard to get to and from).

The ugly: The German families that have kept Troy Hill stable for so long haven't been having as many kids, and the kids they do have often live outside the area or in the suburbs. That means that outsiders (like you) are now able to buy homes in the neighborhood. That leads to tension when the outsiders are black: Racism dies hard in tiny Troy Hill

Old 04-02-2009, 02:14 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
Keep in mind, that article is from seven years ago. A lot can change in the course of a decade, and a lot can be sensationalized by a newspaper.

Which is not to say that Troy Hill is the epicenter of tolerance and diversity, but it is an entirely different ballpark than it was at that time. A lot of young people are purchasing houses there and the fabric is changing, for both better (property values and safety improve) and worse (community connections weaken).

It's a good place to live if you want to drive pretty much any time you need to go somewhere (work, a business district, etc). Troy Hill's business district is attempting a revitalization with the assistance of the city, etc, but it's a relatively long way off. There is basically a convenience store, a bar, a bank, and a restaurant up there. And a whole lotta churches.

That said, it's just a jaunt down (terrifyingly steep) Rialto Street to Lawrenceville, a drive down Troy Hill Road (I think?) to the Mexican War Streets/E Ohio Street, it's close to 28, it's close to 279, etc. In terms of driving it's not bad. There's also a bus there -- the 6A? 6B? -- that could be convenient for commuting Downtown but it's very very infrequent.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:18 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Here's a recent article about Troy Hill from the City Paper: Sellin' of Troy - News - News - Pittsburgh City Paper

Old 04-02-2009, 03:13 PM

11 posts, read 50,154 times
I've seen both of these articles before, as well most other recent media attention on this area, so I guess I know a thing or two about the area itself, but any first hand information would be great. Regarding JM's comment, I'm sure there are some high tax properties in that area, but the property of interest has an annual tax of about $900 which I thought was pretty low. I'm aware that this could be a risk, but it comes down to the brain racking question that everyone goes through with homebuying. House or Area? And everyone wants the best of both worlds, but I need to make exceptions. And Troy Hill seems like a fair compromise for my standards.

PS Steindle, I know you! There was a discussion about this on "that other board"

Old 04-03-2009, 06:31 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoorayforjasper View Post
Regarding JM's comment, I'm sure there are some high tax properties in that area, but the property of interest has an annual tax of about $900 which I thought was pretty low.
A lot of folks who don't live in the city jump on the city wage tax and cry high taxes. However, property taxes in the city are lower, so there is a bit of a trade off that you can calculate for your own situation. I know that I looked at houses very similiar to mine in close suburb neighborhoods and the annual property taxes were double.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:29 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
Buy or rent Rick Sebak's "North Side Story." There's a piece on Troy Hill that's pretty good. It's like a little town in the middle of the city, but isolated from it because it's on the hill top. Great views, too.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:22 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
A lot of folks who don't live in the city jump on the city wage tax and cry high taxes. However, property taxes in the city are lower, so there is a bit of a trade off that you can calculate for your own situation. I know that I looked at houses very similiar to mine in close suburb neighborhoods and the annual property taxes were double.

That's not necessarily true. It all depends on the assessed value of the property. A home assessed in the city at 100K will cost you 2941 per year. That same home in McCandless will cost you 2329 per year. And the wage tax is only 1%.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:31 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,845 times
Recently my husband and I were exploring neighborhoods in Pittsburgh and we came upon Troy Hill. We found two little corner taverns -one is called the Hilltopper and I think the other is called Billy's which serves food. Our experience has been very pleasant chatting with the locals and we did not feel the least bit unsafe. The area may have a gritty look about it but we found it to be charming with it's old school feel.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
That said, it's just a jaunt down (terrifyingly steep) Rialto Street to Lawrenceville...
Are you talking about Pig Hill?

To the OP, I lived near the area many, many years ago. I consider it a safe enough neighborhood for anyone who has some common sense. I wouldn't hesitate to raise small children there, but I would move elsewhere once they were school aged or I would plan to pay tuition for private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh