U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-07-2007, 12:29 PM

34,851 posts, read 50,235,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Drover move to the South where knowledge of policies is frowned upon and pushing wingnut non-issues is king.

All you have to do is tune into Rush, Hannity etc. who tell you how to think (actually how to not think) and what to say.

You'll love it.
Look, cupcake. I'm not afraid to defend my viewpoints or spend time in places where it is not a majority opinion. I live in Chicago proper for Chrissake. I was a political science major where I spent 3 years defending my viewpoints against 60% of my fellow classmates and 90% of my professors. I am now in a graduate program where I have to defend my viewpoints against 90% of my fellow classmates and approximately 100% of my professors. So you can drop the implication that "I'll love" living in a place where my views are pre-packaged for me and are not challenged. I haven't been in such an environment since I left the white-bread suburbs at 18 years old; and I've got no burning desire to tretreat back to there.

Besides, the places you describe as monolithically right-wing don't bother trying to claim the mantle of diversity, so at least they can escape the charge of hypocrisy on that one count.

Last edited by Drover; 06-07-2007 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-07-2007, 01:15 PM

2,966 posts, read 2,605,216 times
Quote:
Look, cupcake
I would say "enough said" demonstrated by your childish response, but my point was to say that you can be in an area that would be political bliss for you that's all.

Quote:
Besides, the places you describe as monolithically right-wing don't bother trying to claim the mantle of diversity
They claim their warped view of "'merica' as the view of America. Again, no discussion of policies. That would be elitist after all.

Cupcake indeed. Lots of sugar.

Unread 06-07-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I would say "enough said" demonstrated by your childish response, but my point was to say that you can be in an area that would be political bliss for you that's all.
Don't patronize me if you don't want to be patronized in return. You don't know enough about me to know what is "political bliss" for me, so don't pretend like you do.

That is all.

Unread 06-07-2007, 01:25 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,471,730 times
I don't know, I walk around Squirrel Hill or something and I see variety. I know that a lot of cities are more diverse, but I don't think we "fail" at it.

From the 2003 Census Community survey of the Pittsburgh MSA:

For people reporting one race alone, 90 percent were White; 8 percent were Black or African American; less than 0.5 percent were American Indian and Alaska Native; 1 percent were Asian; less than 0.5 percent were Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, and Less than 0.5 percent were Some other race. One percent reported Two or more races. One percent of the people in Pittsburgh, PA MSA were Hispanic. Eighty-nine percent of the people in Pittsburgh, PA MSA were White non-Hispanic. People of Hispanic origin may be of any race.

Some might consider that diverse, but 90% white, 8% black, and 2% "other" doesn't seem very diverse to me.

Unread 06-07-2007, 01:25 PM

2,966 posts, read 2,605,216 times
Quote:
Don't patronize me if you don't want to be patronized in return
I was merely stating that you would enjoy the South.

Quote:
You don't know enough about me to know what is "political bliss" for me, so don't pretend like you do.
You made statements enough that someone with even a mild political background would know enough about your preferences, let alone folks that have followed it for many years. In any case, you are awfully defensive when all that was stated is that you would like the South.

Unread 06-07-2007, 01:36 PM

623 posts, read 1,075,725 times
Default Fighting about politics

I admit that I was surprised to hear Drover say he was a conservative.

However, his posts on this forum have consistently been sensible and well-thought-out. Whatever his political leanings might be, he's obviously the kind of person who puts some thought into his viewpoints. However he came to believe whatever he does, it probably wasn't by blindly thinking whatever Rush and Savage told him to think.

So I don't think there's any reason to assume that he's the kind of conservative who would be happy in the kind of town that JoeP describes. And I think he deserves a little more respect and consideration than this conversation has provided up until this point.

Also, we are completely off-topic and should probably get back on topic before the mods get upset.

Unread 06-07-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
You made statements enough that someone with even a mild political background would know enough about your preferences, let alone folks that have followed it for many years. In any case, you are awfully defensive when all that was stated is that you would like the South.
But you didn't just state that I'd like the South -- you stated why I would like the South: because apparently, everyone in the entire South all think alike, my views would all be conveniently pre-selected for me, they would be reaffirmed everywhere I go, and therefore I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of thinking for myself and forming my own opinions. If you believe I'd be comfortable in that kind of environment and then seriously wonder why I would take offense, I'll reiterate you don't know enough about me -- and add that you don't deserve to ever know enough about me -- to know what my personal preferences are.

Unread 06-07-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
I don't know, I walk around Squirrel Hill or something and I see variety. I know that a lot of cities are more diverse, but I don't think we "fail" at it.

From the 2003 Census Community survey of the Pittsburgh MSA:

For people reporting one race alone, 90 percent were White; 8 percent were Black or African American; less than 0.5 percent were American Indian and Alaska Native; 1 percent were Asian; less than 0.5 percent were Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, and Less than 0.5 percent were Some other race. One percent reported Two or more races. One percent of the people in Pittsburgh, PA MSA were Hispanic. Eighty-nine percent of the people in Pittsburgh, PA MSA were White non-Hispanic. People of Hispanic origin may be of any race.

Some might consider that diverse, but 90% white, 8% black, and 2% "other" doesn't seem very diverse to me.
I'm confused. Every other data set I've seen has the African-American population of Pittsburgh at around ~30%. Or is what you cited here just for Squirrel Hill?

And what about the Jewish people in Squirrel Hill? They're white, but do they count as diverse or non-diverse?

Unread 06-07-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
I'm confused. Every other data set I've seen has the African-American population of Pittsburgh at around ~30%. Or is what you cited here just for Squirrel Hill?
The difference is the 30% figure is for Pittsburgh proper. The statistic clairemarie cites is for the entire metropolitan area. This is the kind of thing that happens when we use the word "Pittsburgh" interchangeably to describe both.

Unread 06-07-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The difference is the 30% figure is for Pittsburgh proper. The statistic clairemarie cites is for the entire metropolitan area. This is the kind of thing that happens when we use the word "Pittsburgh" interchangeably to describe both.
Ah....Does that mean we get to use figures from the entire metropolitan area from now when we have conversations about population density and crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh