U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:20 PM

2,902 posts, read 6,694,696 times
I wanted to ask you all (notice YOU ALL) about something.

People constantly berate yinzers... but do Pittsburgher's even say it still? I mean, say it to the extent that it could be used in such a generalizing manner? I am going to be perfectly honest with you, I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and still live here now, and in all of my years, I have heard yinz or any variation less than a handful of times - EVER.

Maybe it's just where I'm from? Even being downtown now for over five years, I never EVER hear it. In fact, where I'm from, and growing up, we considered it to be trashy. Are there certain parts of town that say it? I know it is most definitely a minority thing and I would find it hard to believe it could be considered a true dialect anymore. It has to be a sliver of percentage of the Pittsburgh population who uses it.

I have spent a ton of time at Duquesne, Pitt, and CMU - young kids aren't saying it at all, that's for sure.

I have family and friends from from all over the Pittsburgh area and from every walk of life and I just don't hear it. Maybe it's me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 12:24 PM

67,328 posts, read 54,947,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post

People constantly berate yinzers... but do Pittsburgher's even say it still? I mean, say it to the extent that it could be used in such a generalizing manner? I am going to be perfectly honest with you, I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and still live here now, and in all of my years, I have heard yinz or any variation less than a handful of times - EVER.

Maybe it's just where I'm from? Even being downtown now for over five years, I never EVER hear it. In fact, where I'm from, and growing up, we considered it to be trashy. Are there certain parts of town that say it? I know it is most definitely a minority thing and I would find it hard to believe it could be considered a Pittsburgh dialect anymore.

I have spent a ton of time at Duquesne, Pitt, and CMU - young kids aren't saying it at all, that's for sure.

I have family and friends from from all over the Pittsburgh area and from every walk of life and I just don't hear it. Maybe it's me.
Yes, people still use it. My kids always notice it when they are there. I probably don't notice it as much because I've heard it all my life. When we were there last fall, a waitress asked us "are yunz ready to order yet"?

Old 05-26-2007, 12:26 PM

2,902 posts, read 6,694,696 times
Quote:
"are yunz ready to order yet"?
ick, it really is horrid and I loathe it. So I know I'm not just missing it because i've lived here all my life, because when I hear it, I cringe, I promise you.

But like I said, I cringe just as hard, if not harder, when I hear "are ya'll ready to order yet?"

*CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE*

And I realize people still say it, but I think it must be wildly and completely exaggerated when people make reference to it. I argue that the reason I think ya'll is worse is because of the huge population of southerners who use it, take pride in it, and think it is proper English when it's not. In Pittsburgh, yinz is most definitely a minority thing and where the majority realizes it's incorrect. Speaking on behalf of the places i've lived in Pittsburgh, Pittsburgher's hate it just as much as the rest of the world!

Last edited by guylocke; 05-26-2007 at 12:37 PM..

Old 05-26-2007, 02:24 PM

624 posts, read 1,118,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post

Maybe it's just where I'm from? Even being downtown now for over five years, I never EVER hear it. In fact, where I'm from, and growing up, we considered it to be trashy. Are there certain parts of town that say it? I know it is most definitely a minority thing and I would find it hard to believe it could be considered a true dialect anymore. It has to be a sliver of percentage of the Pittsburgh population who uses it.

That's an interesting question. I have definitely heard it in Pittsburgh, but I noticed right away that it seems to be tied to social class. I almost never hear it in the East End. The first time I ever heard anyone talk like that was when we hired movers after we'd lived here about 2 years - they used the word "yinz" when they were talking to us and eachother. Before that, I thought it was just kind of a joke about Pittsburghers because I never heard anyone actually speak that way. Since then I've noticed that it seems to be mostly prevalent among blue-collar types. I almost never hear it in my daily life because I don't work or live in a blue-collar neighborhood.

I will also say that it doesn't bother me to hear it. It might just be because I'm from the West originally where nobody talks like that, so I don't associate it with being uneducated or anything. I don't cringe when I hear it. If anything, I think it's kind of funny. It's just another accent. Also, the English language really needs a plural for the word "you", and I guess yinz will do as well as anything else.

Now, ya'll on the other hand...that does really bug me. It sounds completely "white trash" to me. When you leave the city of Pittsburgh and go to the rural areas, especially if you go farther south into WV, you hear a lot of people talking like that. I personally find the Pittsburgh accent and the use of "yinz" a lot more tolerable than the ya'll thing and the accent that goes with that. Where I grew up, the only people that talked like that were the kind that you might see on Jerry Springer, and it's very hard for me to not associate that kind of accent with being uneducated and "trashy". Oh, and being Republican. Which might be worse. :-D

Anyway, to answer your question. I think the stereotype that all Pittsburghers talk like that and use the word "yinz" is very much exaggerated. However, some of them do actually talk like that. As for personal tolerance for the accent and the peculiar word usage, well, everyone's mileage may vary...

Old 05-26-2007, 03:37 PM

I agree with boylocke on the cringe thing. I have never used the word myself, nor did my dad, a native Beaver Countian. Lots of people in Beaver County used it when I was a kid, back in the dark ages. The restaurant where we were asked this last fall is in Cranberry. I did notice less of "the accent" in general in Cranberry, probably because there are so many newcomers.

A word commonly used here is "yous", which I don't like either. It is apparently derived from the Spanish plural of you.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:35 PM

1,856 posts, read 5,558,691 times
I'm from Ohio. I say, "you guys". I've noticed that some of my Westmifflin cousins have the accent more than the others. This website has some pretty good examples and explanations.
Central Pennsylvania accent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The last paragraph about code-switching says it all.

Here's my biggest Pittsburgh pet peeve. "I seen it". Instead of I have seen it, or I saw it. I hear that phrase a hundred times a day while I'm at work. It comes from the mouths of very educated and proper people just as much as it comes from the mill hunks. I cringe every time I hear that very wrong statement. It takes every ounce of self control in my body to keep from yelling out, "Who the hell taught you how to talk?"

Old 05-26-2007, 05:01 PM

The Wikipedia article was interesting, as was the article linked to it titled "Pittsburgh English". The Pittsburgh article was more academic and harder to read if you are not a linguist.

I agree with South Range about "I seen it". Don't like it at all. Until South Range mentioned it, I hadn't thought about that expression for a long time. Here, we get "where is it at?", which also drives me nuts (or nuttier than I am)! It is supposedly a midwestern thing.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:12 PM

939 posts, read 1,530,186 times
Slightly off topic. But the absolute worst plural form of you has to be the blue-collar Philly...youz

Old 05-26-2007, 06:23 PM

22 posts, read 57,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I find it amusing that you're basing your entire opinion of Pittsburghers on those you run into at professional sporting events.
Actually, my opinion of Pittsburghers isn't based solely on sporting events.

I've been to Pittsburgh plenty of times for things other than sporting events, and unfortunately my impression of most Pittsburghers isn't all that good.

Like I said originally, I think Pittsburgh is like the twilight zone. Just rude, obnoxious, ignorant people everywhere! And I DO intend to move from PA very soon!

Old 05-26-2007, 07:24 PM

7,012 posts, read 9,302,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
The Wikipedia article was interesting, as was the article linked to it titled "Pittsburgh English". The Pittsburgh article was more academic and harder to read if you are not a linguist.

I agree with South Range about "I seen it". Don't like it at all. Until South Range mentioned it, I hadn't thought about that expression for a long time. Here, we get "where is it at?", which also drives me nuts (or nuttier than I am)! It is supposedly a midwestern thing.
I never picked up the Pittsburgh accent, but I can be easily identified by my non-use of "to be". The cars needs washed.... we drop the to be all the time.

But that's because my family is from the mountains of PA -- and there was more of a distinct Southern type accent there. I grew up thinking the people on Hee-Haw sounded like my family. Add to that the Pennsylvania German words and syntax I had to deal with....

My aunt married a guy from Bedford and he has that Central PA accent... but the rest of my family just has a little twang...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh