Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:07 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by endless endless View Post
I always wonder this myself. Sometimes I see normal cars without even flashers on driving on the busway. I've seen plenty of people drive obliviously down bus-only lanes (mostly on 5th) or the wrong way down one-way streets so I always wondered if it was clueless people who can't read signs. How common do you think this is? Or is every car I've seen really just police/city government?
Port Authority Police travel the busways as well as the dispatchers monitor the busway cameras all the time. If a vehicle is on it that does not have a permit, you can be sure they will be caught. 99% of the time any car you see on it has the proper permission, althought 1% is the "lost" person, or at least they try to use that excuse. Even the fire bureau and EMS have to get permission to use them.

Believe it or not, most of the P.A. areas are monitored by cameras, even the landings where you get on and off. They can see if you are taking a whizz and have the cops there in a few minutes. Happens all the time at Station Square landing.

You have a better chance at trying the bus lanes downtown as they are not monitored as much, but there is still a good chance you will get a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 04:49 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
what would it take to extend the T along the east busway?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:06 PM

285 posts, read 861,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
what would it take to extend the T along the east busway?
probably not nearly as much as the tunnel to nowhere

Old 04-13-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate88 View Post
probably not nearly as much as the tunnel to nowhere
that's a strange project. I mean, the tunnel is probably a useful piece of a larger transit system...if anyone actually thought that "the rest of a transit system" was going to get built. so strange that it doesn't serve any neighborhood there. I guess the intent is to establish a park n ride for workers and get otehrs to take transit to the game but the only people that can do this are people on the south side/south hills. If you live in shadyside, you take the busway and transfer to the T to get to either the south side or the stadiums. Seems like they put the cart before the horse. you extend the T up the busway and all of a sudden that "convention spur" connects the east end with the stadiums, not the convention center with the stadiums. Its no wonder our roads are clogged (as a country) and bridges falling down.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:56 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
The East Busway was built to eventually accommodate rail. The concrete bases for the pantograph poles are already there.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:48 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,758 times
funny now the busway connects Downtown with one of US Steel's former major industrial parks... I wonder, back in the 80's how many of those "cars with permits" were property of USS.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
The East Busway was built to eventually accommodate rail. The concrete bases for the pantograph poles are already there.
so you basically need poles, catenary, and rails.It wouldn't mean buses coudln't use it either, I don't think, unless that would slow the trolleys down significantly.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:31 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
Buses could still use it. Trolleys and buses share the South Busway as well. At least they used to - that may have changed since they upgraded the Overbrook line in the South Hills.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:47 AM

It woudl also introduce the possibility of trolley buses which are quiet and help reduce particulates which is a problem in any city.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:49 PM

6 posts, read 16,294 times
Yes benzman is correct.....you must have special permission to be on any of the busways. Chances are if you see a "civilian vehicle" it has permission. If not and you try I can pretty much guarantee you that you will be caught and cited. And always think twice before you pee on the "T" platform or shoot up...or light a blunt, or get a special kiss down there from your bf/gf cause you will get caught....ask me how I know....big brother is watching

Last edited by patvet2009; 06-06-2009 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: