Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 21,592 times

Advertisements

Hello, does anyone have a suggestion for a rental agency in either Dormont or Mt. Lebanon? I'm looking to rent an apartment, duplex or house - but a private building - not a big complex. I've been Googling and can't find any agencies. There sure aren't many apartments compared to Houston. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've seen places on Craiglist - but don't trust that they'd be good landlords. Moving from Texas - I want some reassurance of going through an agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 07:30 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper10 View Post
Hello, does anyone have a suggestion for a rental agency in either Dormont or Mt. Lebanon? I'm looking to rent an apartment, duplex or house - but a private building - not a big complex. I've been Googling and can't find any agencies. There sure aren't many apartments compared to Houston. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've seen places on Craiglist - but don't trust that they'd be good landlords. Moving from Texas - I want some reassurance of going through an agent.

When are you looking to move? We live in Mt. Lebo in a 3 bedroom duplex. It is nice...Great school district. We will be leaving here in July.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 21,592 times
Ah, that's a shame! I'll be moving in early February.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:26 PM

13 posts, read 17,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemacc View Post
There is no comparison between the two school districts if that's what your priority is. It's Mount Lebanon hands down. The two best school districts in the Pittsburgh area sre consistently Mount Lebanon and Upper St. Clair. They go back and forth between which one is better year to year. I read a post that said Mount Lebanon was the 17th highest rated school district in the state???...only by some bogus standard - it's typically rated in the top 5 - along with Upper St. Clair (Tredyffrin/Easttown, Radnor, and Unionville-Chadds Ford from the Philly area are the other 3). These 5 districts are hands down the best in Pennsylvania - PERIOD.

Mount Lebanon High School is ALWAYS in the top 5 in PA with regard to SAT scores annually. That aside, Mount Lebanon is referred to as "Middle Suburban" - it is very walkable and has a charm you simply don't get in Dormont. The streets are tree lined, and it has a warm feel while having a hip urban feel. Comparable Upper St. Clair is very nice - but doesn't have the walkability or charm of Mount Lebanon. Other areas have decent schools - Fox Chapel (lovely - not walkable for the most part), Peters Township (very suburban - not walkable, at all).

Really - Dormont's cute, I used to live there, but once I had kids and the money, I moved to Mount Lebanon. It was an easy choice.
If I homeschool my kids, would you still suggest Mt. Lebo over Dormont? Or you only chose it because of the schools?

The community in Dormont seems to be more laid-back, am I wrong?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:22 PM

137 posts, read 274,659 times
You might want to start a new thread to get more opinions - lots of people skip these old ones.

What are you looking for in a community? Is proximity to downtown important? I don't think that the taxes are substantially different between Dormont and Mt. Lebanon (though in general the home prices are higher in Mt. Lebo, which increases total taxes pd). If you don't need to be near downtown and don't mind a suburban area, you should look outside of Allegheny Co for tax relief - Westmoreland and Washington Cos both have much lower taxes.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right, it's not like her children will never get into college and be doomed to a lifetime of mediocrity because the kids didn't go to Mt. Lebanon. The whole school district thing gets blown out of proportion.
I agree! I never paid any attention to these numbers, 9, 10, etc. If the school offers what your kids want/need, it doesn't matter. These rankings are no indication of how an individual student will do. Talking to the principals would probably be helpful; look over the course offerings if AP/IB are important to the OP, etc.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:10 PM

92 posts, read 145,753 times
chiming in pro dormont. We just moved here from the city and love it...its actually more walkable and active than our old neighborhood.

And you can get alot more house for the money,...

we looked at mt lebo too....and we got an amazing house in dormont ( the kind of house i wish i grew up in) in dormont for the price of a shack in mt lebo.

yes, keystone oaks is not as good as mt lebo, but we're good people and our kids will be defined by more than the pretige of their high school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh