U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-23-2009, 12:11 PM

427 posts, read 392,739 times
Thumbs up Rating Grocery Stores

Another thread (along with a bad experience last night) got me thinking about what I like/dislike about the grocery stores in the area and I wanted to hear others' opinions. We live in the East End (Swisshelm Park). Below are my personal ratings of Grocery stores we visit with some regularity, best to worst.
  • Shop and Save Monroeville - We don't go here a lot, which may mean I just haven't seen its faults, but it is clean, well-stocked, and has friendly employees. Also, I find the prices at Shop and Save to be better on average than Giant Eagle.
  • Giant Eagle Waterfront - Also clean and well-stocked. Another plus for us is the "Eagles Nest" activity center for kids.
  • Giant Eagle Edgewood Towne Center - Closest to us and the store we use most frequently. Clean and usually well-stocked. My only real complaint about this store is that closing time for the meat dept. appears to be 15 minutes before I arrive, regardless of when that is.
  • Shop and Save Lawrenceville - A little less selection than the others, but usually a pleasant experience.
  • Giant Eagle Market District Shadyside - Has the best selection of all of the ones mentioned previously. It's great if you're looking for a specialty item. However, I find the crowds and slow checkouts there to not be worth the extra features.
  • Giant Eagle Squirrel Hill - I appreciate the convenience of having a 24 hr. grocery store as the 2nd closest to my home. The store is smaller than the others, so the selection is not as great, which is also understandable. However, it rates lowest on my list because of its cleanliness and employee attitude. Last night was a case in point. There was a strong rotten-egg smell coming from somewhere near the meat dept. One of the employees was running a floor cleaner up and down the aisles and was very annoyed by the shoppers being in his way. And the single open cashier was sullen and dropped my bread without so much as an apology.
-I've been to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and the East End Food Co-op, but haven't shopped at any of them enough to form an opinion.
-Also, on the Jicama thread someone mentioned the Shakespeare Giant Eagle at Ellsworth and Shady. It's been years since I've shopped there, but I had a friend who lived close by. He felt the store was crappy, but he did like one policy they had. If you tried to go through the 10-items-or-less line with 11 items, they would ask you which one you want to put back. Classic!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 12:32 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,050,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
-Also, on the Jicama thread someone mentioned the Shakespeare Giant Eagle at Ellsworth and Shady. It's been years since I've shopped there, but I had a friend who lived close by. He felt the store was crappy, but he did like one policy they had. If you tried to go through the 10-items-or-less line with 11 items, they would ask you which one you want to put back. Classic!
That was me. I HATE Giant Eagle "Shakespeare". Slow lines because not enough cashier lines are open. Employees with BAD attitudes, even the managers. Not much of a variety. You just come out of there in a bad mood. I can't stand that Penn Hills Giant Eagle either.

The best Giant Eagles
, TO ME, are Waterworks (Fox Chapel), and Shadyside Market District. I say those 2 because those are the only 2 I frequent, on the regular, being that I live on the East End. Clean, organized. Customer friendly.

Aldi's - the one is Penn Hills is WAYYYYYY better than the one on Route 8 in Shaler. Penn Hills is much bigger too, and has a better variety of things to choose from.

Shop N Save - Lawrenceville. Well, I'm there like 3 times a week to get little things. That's my neighborhood grocery store. I've never had a problem with them. Although the meat they have for their "PICK 5 for $19.99" sales look SUSPECT. It doesn't look right. Looks old. I guess you get what you pay for.

Save-A-Lot - Lawrenceville. Eh'. I can take it or leave it. They have a brand of boxed taco's that will give any of the national brands a run for their money, though.

Super Wal-Mart - PITTSBURGH MILLS IS THE BEST ONE, hands down. Huge. Clean. Customer friendly. Always stocked. Just awesome. Their only downfall is that sometimes their lines can get ridiculous when its time to check out. So be ready to wait. Don't schedule anything around Pittsburgh Mills Super-Wal-mart shopping because you're going to be a MINUTE.

Super Wal-Mart - North Versailles. HORRIBLE. Unclean. Ghetto. Nasty. Junky. What happened? It used to be nice.

That's about all I can critique for now. I've never stepped foot in Whole Food or Trader Joe's in my entire life, but have eaten fruit and chocolates and other things from there, that co-workers have brought in, and I can say that Whole Foods has some good fruit and Trader Joe's, man oh man, do they have some good chocolate and cookies!!!

Last edited by Little Mizz Pittsburgh; 04-23-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 01:23 PM

9,856 posts, read 7,047,285 times
I would agree with wal-mart at the mills if you really want to save money.

Most of the time I shop at the market district giant eagle in shadyside (closest to where I live). The lines are normally very long, but I only shop after 8:00pm Sunday nights now. They restock fruit/vegetables around 6:00pm on Sunday and I have never seen a line at the deli or to check out late on a Sunday.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:35 PM

40,250 posts, read 43,086,481 times
Discount grocery stores, like the Mill's Walmart, has drawbacks.

Last time I was there, I picked up some packages of cheese from one of the island refrigerators.

The price was great, but the cheese was completely molded two days later.

Always keep in mind that sometimes these low cost places mark down food for a reason!

Last edited by Hopes; 04-23-2009 at 01:57 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 01:55 PM

357 posts, read 498,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Most of the time I shop at the market district giant eagle in shadyside (closest to where I live). The lines are normally very long, but I only shop after 8:00pm Sunday nights now.
Long checkout lines at Market District? Have you used the electronic "personal shopper" device and the self-checkout? That's what I do, and I've found it makes checkout very quick (when I go: typically around 7pm on a weeknight). Also, checkout lane #1 is marked for "personal shopper" checkouts, so when it is open that is helpful.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:01 PM

9,856 posts, read 7,047,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp View Post
Long checkout lines at Market District? Have you used the electronic "personal shopper" device and the self-checkout? That's what I do, and I've found it makes checkout very quick (when I go: typically around 7pm on a weeknight). Also, checkout lane #1 is marked for "personal shopper" checkouts, so when it is open that is helpful.
I really need to try it, I always use the self checkout but I just haven't grabbed the personal shopper yet.

Next time I am there I am going to do it. Good to know about lane #1 too! I am always at the self-checkout lanes so I have never bothered to see what the other lanes are used for.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:07 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,050,675 times
I, personally haven't done MAJOR grocery shopping at a Super-Walmart in over a year. I started noticing how their prices were going up last year, even BEFORE the gas prices started rocketing last summer. Super Wal-mart is just as expensive as Giant Eagle is nowadays.

When I do MAJOR grocery shopping, I go to Aldi's, and then I head to Shop N Save afterwards to pick up the things I like, that Aldi's doesn't carry.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:13 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,395,488 times
I frequent the Shadyside Giant Eagle Market District the most. I go on Saturday or Sunday morning before 9 am to avoid the crowds. I also go to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and the East End Food Co-op. Each one has its advantages, but on the whole the food is always fresh and I shop defensively price-wise.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:19 PM

12,402 posts, read 9,374,012 times
Self-checkouts are a pain in the butt if you've got a lot of produce.

I live in Beechview and usually go to the Kuhn's on Banksville Rd. We have a Foodland in Bview, but it's small and I only go in there if I need some basics like bread or eggs, just to throw them some business. I don't go to Giant Eagles much, mostly because it seems to be a lot more expenisve there.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:32 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,395,488 times
Yes, the self-checkouts are a pain with the produce. And if you're scanning and the belt fills up in the bagging area, the computer voice comes on to tell you to "remove items from the bagging area and continue scanning." So you have to stop and go back to clear out the area and resume scanning. You need two people for self-check. One to scan and one to bag. And I've eliminated all plastic bags by using canvas shopping bags. They hold a lot more. Those plastic bags are such a waste, and sometimes the baggers only put one or two things in them so you've got 20 crinkling annoying bags to haul out to the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh