Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:17 AM

82 posts, read 302,187 times

Advertisements

I have answered many Craigslist ads for houses for rent via email (and by telephone, if a number is provided).

So far, I have gotten about a 10% response rate from my email inquiries. These replies, save one, have been from Nigerian scammers or from people who are selling their houses which are in pre-foreclosure.

I am polite. I use a friendly tone. I say my husband and I would like to make an appointment to look at the house. I say something nice about the house, too, since there are usually pictures with the ads.

I do not say that I have a big dog or that we are moving to Pittsburgh from another state. The ads I reply to say they take dogs. I don't want the fact that we are moving to play into a decision about whether to contact me. My email address is a Verizon one and I use my real name in both the email address and in the closing of the email.

Mind you, I used to say we are a family of 6, have a large dog, and are moving there from another state -- I stopped doing that due to receiving *no* responses.

Also, I am responding to ads for 4 or 5 bedroom, 2-bath houses. I am not trying to cram a large family into a tiny house. If the house is in Allegheny County, I check the property assessments on the house to find out if it has enough square footage and other information. I also research the high school, the crime rate, and the town beforehand.

Can any of you think of something else I can do to get replies?

Thanks,
RC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Email or call larger real estate companies and ask for their rental dept. You can be honest about having a dog with a rental agent. They've probably already told the owner of a large house that families often have pets. You tell them what you want and maybe they can use the multilist computer to search for it. There's a lot of rentals that never get advertised especially if they're hoping to sell the house instead.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:16 PM

21 posts, read 81,727 times
I don't have advice but just wanted to say I understand. I have had the same problem. I've had about the same response and learned to tell which Craig's List ads are scams.

I tried to contact Arbors Property Management which no success. They responded to my email and then never responded to me again with listings so I don't recommend them.

I also tried CA Properties with no luck. Their pet deposit is an additional one months rent which is crazy. We said we thought that was crazy and they turned and yelled to someone in the background "Oh they can't afford the pet deposit" - we can afford it, I just am not paying another months rent when normally only $300-$500. Besides that they were just rude and unhelpful.

I'd try a real estate agency and see if they can help you. I'm hoping we found a place from Craig's List - we'll see. We're also moving from out of state so it's frustrating cause it's not like we can just drive around and look for signs!

Good luck with your search

Old 04-27-2009, 08:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
An additional month's rent for a pet deposit is pretty much the norm in Pittsburgh.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 AM

21 posts, read 81,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
An additional month's rent for a pet deposit is pretty much the norm in Pittsburgh.
Every other place I talked to was $300.00 - no one else has asked for an entire months rent for a pet deposit. And I've talked to tons of places in Pittsburgh looking for a place. A whole months rent is crazy.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:27 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciouspunk View Post
Every other place I talked to was $300.00 - no one else has asked for an entire months rent for a pet deposit. And I've talked to tons of places in Pittsburgh looking for a place. A whole months rent is crazy.
I think it may depend on whether it's refundable or not. When I was looking into renting with pets, I ran across some that places that wanted an extra full months rent as a deposit for a pet. Then if there was no damage you got it and your regular security deposit back at the end of the lease. I also talked to some places where there was an extra "pet rent" each month of $25-$50 per pet, and some that had non-refundable extra deposits of $200-$300. I ended up finding a private landlord that charged no extra. So I lived there. But that was few years ago...

Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Maybe things are different now, but that was my experience when I rented too, Tinare.

The owners who required an additional month's rent were concerned about replacing damaged flooring, which can be very costly, and both security deposits were refunded if there was no damage. Their properties seemed to be the better maintained rentals too.

The owners who required the lower $200-$300 deposit kept the deposit regardless of damage. They claimed the pet deposit was for professional allergy cleaning services. It seemed more like a scam to me.

In the long run, the lower pet deposit could be more expensive depending on individual circumstances and landlords.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:01 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
Craigslist is just sketchy. I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times
Go through newspaper ads rather than Craigslist. You'll probably get a better response.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:41 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
^ Agree. Newspaper ads have phone numbers. The Trib and PG classifieds are online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh