Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2007, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,561 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering relocating to Pittsburgh, and I was wondering if anyone could give some advice concerning where to live. I've read many of the posts on this message board and see that there are a couple of nice areas that get recommended a lot, but when it comes to the morning/evening commute, most refer only to commuting into the city. If we make this move, my wife will be commuting into the city (southside area actually), and I will potentially be commuting South/South-East to the Belle Vernon/Monessen area. So we're looking for an area that is nice, safe, convenient to shopping/restaurants, preferably close to the city, and that would make both of our commutes reasonable.

The first thing that jumps out at me when just looking at a map is the area just south of the city (Mt. Washington, Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park, etc). But not being very familiar with the area or the traffic flow, I really have no clue where would be appropriate. What about areas to the east like Squirrel Hill, or areas to the north. Should these be considered as well, or would the commute south be too much? Any other good recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 03:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Since you'll be working in the Belle Vernon/Monessen area, look into Bethel Park and Jefferson Hills areas.

For Bethel Park, your commute time will be 40 minutes (going against rush hour traffic) and your wife's commute time will be 20 minutes.

For Jefferson HIlls, your commute times will be equal at 30 minutes.

Bethel Park school district ranks 6th and West Jefferson Hills school district ranks 16th out of the 64 high schools in Allegheny County.

You could also consider South Park school district which ranks 18th. It's geographically between Bethel Park and Jefferson Hills.

All three areas are nice and safe and conveniently located to shopping and recreation.

(btw, the Pittsburgh is as equally far away as Southside. Southside is just literally across the river from downtown.)

Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 7,256 times
Question Need advice/info on Relocation to 5th avenue, Pittsburg

I'm also in such sort of dilema antha

I would be joining a company which is located in

Fifth Avenue Place
120 Fifth Avenue • Pittsburgh, PA 15222-3099

When I search in the map,I do see some apartment near by 5th Avenue street.But not sure if they are good and safe to stay.I'm from different state and totally unaware of this place.I don't have a car to commute.Please guide me through in taking an apartment which is near to my company so that i can walk.I may have to drop in to office sometimes in the night as well.Also which is better way for commuting if i stay in a place a bit far but much safer from that place.
Please advice me regarding good recommendations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh