Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 02:59 PM

40 posts, read 94,107 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I recently moved to Pittsburgh from Tennessee. I have other threads here, so some of you will recognize me.

Things are going well. We found someone who was willing to rent us a nice little apartment in Forest Hills before we found jobs. My husband is working downtown, while I just got a job at a factory in Robinson. This job is right up my alley. I signed up with a temp agency and within 10 days I got an interview, and within 45 minutes of my interview I got the job. I was impressed at how quickly I found employment here. There were no jobs in my small hometown at all.

Now the guy at the temp agency tells me we have to be responsible for our personal income tax on top of the state and federal taxes that are taken out of our paychecks. In Tennessee, we only had federal income taxes. Of course, they tax food and clothing and everything else there. I just don't understand how and where and how much personal income tax to pay. I've been looking online, but I'm having trouble finding out the info I need.

Could someone please explain to me how to take care of this tax? Do I have to go through a tax service, or do I pay directly to the IRS? I'm really lost on this one!

Thanks to anyone for any help you could give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 04:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I'm not sure what he means by "personal" income tax. Do you mean "local" income tax?

If you're talking about your local income tax, here's how you take care of it:

Borough Earned Income Tax (PAMS)
Tax rate — 1%
128 Forest Hills Plaza
21 Yost Blvd
Pittsburgh, PA 15221
Hours: M-F 9AM-5PM

It's a flat 1% of your income so you don't need a tax service and you definitely do NOT not pay it to the IRS.

You pay the Borough of Forest Hills directly with a check. When, how and where can be answered by calling the number above.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:44 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Yeah, Hopes nailed it, I don't think they should be using the words "personal income tax" which is usually synonymous with "luxury income tax" of which, Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania have none.

For example, "personal income tax" usually means things like cars, boats, and expensive items that an individual must pay taxes on yearly to the state, again, also known as a "luxury" tax - aka, Virginia.

PA has no such thing, so they must mean "local tax."

Last edited by guylocke; 04-29-2009 at 05:01 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 04:57 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
Personal income tax is misleading. The county did one of these back when we had commissoners and one of them announced he refused to pay it. This tax applied to stuff you owned personally like stocks and bonds, savings in the bank, etc.

I thought like Hopes, the tax is the local income tax you owe quarterly to the borough where you live. All other taxes are more obvious. You should receive notification in the mail although they often miss new residents and especially renters until they inquire.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Unless she asked the temp agency about personal income tax (since she paid luxury tax in her previous state), and the guy at the temp agency didn't know what she was talking about and told her she had to take care of it herself......

Yeah, I know. That was a run-on sentence.

Guylocke, I responded to you in another thread the other day, crying because you left Pittsburgh!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:25 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Quote:
Guylocke, I responded to you in another thread the other day, crying because you left Pittsburgh!
Oh no!!! LOL. Yes, I did. I'll be home for a visit in July, though. We were getting so close to our picnic!! Now I don't even recognize 90% of the posters. I'll have to make new friends (or enemies, what have you).

I'm glad you are well again.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:32 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitecontrary View Post
Hi! My husband and I recently moved to Pittsburgh from Tennessee. I have other threads here, so some of you will recognize me.

Things are going well. We found someone who was willing to rent us a nice little apartment in Forest Hills before we found jobs. My husband is working downtown, while I just got a job at a factory in Robinson. This job is right up my alley. I signed up with a temp agency and within 10 days I got an interview, and within 45 minutes of my interview I got the job. I was impressed at how quickly I found employment here. There were no jobs in my small hometown at all.

Now the guy at the temp agency tells me we have to be responsible for our personal income tax on top of the state and federal taxes that are taken out of our paychecks. In Tennessee, we only had federal income taxes. Of course, they tax food and clothing and everything else there. I just don't understand how and where and how much personal income tax to pay. I've been looking online, but I'm having trouble finding out the info I need.

Could someone please explain to me how to take care of this tax? Do I have to go through a tax service, or do I pay directly to the IRS? I'm really lost on this one!

Thanks to anyone for any help you could give!
lol...just wait...it gets worse....starting with the occupational tax, drink tax, etc. Be glad you haven't bought a house yet!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:14 PM

40 posts, read 94,107 times
I'm certain he was talking about local tax, because he mentioned it could be from 1% to 4%. Then again, I could have been mixed up and changed the words! I've been known to do things like that before!

Thanks, Hopes! That is the most accurate answer I've had on any forum! Your help is so appreciated!

Now I just have to get used to driving here! Crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh