Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 05:37 PM

374 posts, read 1,284,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
Wow thx!! I've been trying to find what kind of bugs those are for the longest. I get them all the time in my shag rug and I crushed them a couple times and they let off this strong odor. I thought they were a breed of roaches although I never had roaches in my home. How do you get rid of this darn things? Theyre annoying!!

Marques, I spotted some today and captured them in a old masonry jar and flushed them. As far as I read you can't kill the with bug spay because he their unique shields. You would have to be to spay the bottom of them. Also you have to treat the outside of your house too. I've down a lot a reading since I started this thread and It seems the insects are unstoppable currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 06:21 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,527 times
They're harmless and will go away, just don't squeeze em or they'll stink.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I've had one living in my house for months. He doesn't bother me. And I don't bother him. We co-exist.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 PM

I have a three month at home that's my real concern. From my observation they love Light and light bulbs gives off heat. I don't want these creatures to fly in the babies mouth. They are more the a nuisance than anything I guess.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Do you have lots of them? I only have one. It's not very active. I've never seen it fly. It hangs out on the spigot, walks along the floor or is glued to the side of a wall. It's so slow moving that it really doesn't annoy me. I don't even jump when I see it on the spigot. I just wash my hands and leave. I have no idea where it is right now. I'm sure I'll see it again in a few days...

Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 PM

66 posts, read 226,635 times
mr. davon, it seems you live just down the road from me. I live just off of Greensburgh Pike, further down towards Turtle Creek and yes we have stinkbugs BAD!!!! I just noticed them last year and I was leaving them alone for awhile until one had gotten into my daughters crib, been rolled upon by her and woke her from the foul odor it emmitted. That's when I looked them up on the net, found out what they were and since then there's been no mercy for them. If I find one in the house it get's trapped in a papercup and then immediately flushed down the toilet ....alive!!!! I'm surprised you didn't smell anything when you squished one. I am so sensitive to smells that I gag when one 'sprays' or dies in my presence. Apparently they breed like crazy but only outdoors, they only come in the house for refuge from the weather and are contorsionists, able to get in through the tinyest of cracks. I've read that even exterminators won't garantee their elimination because they stand so high off the ground and have such impenetratable shells that the poisons don't affect them. I think our area is particularly infested because of all the wooded land in this area, I never really saw them as much when I lived in Brookline or Swisshelm Park.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyval View Post
mr. davon, it seems you live just down the road from me. I live just off of Greensburgh Pike, further down towards Turtle Creek and yes we have stinkbugs BAD!!!! I just noticed them last year and I was leaving them alone for awhile until one had gotten into my daughters crib, been rolled upon by her and woke her from the foul odor it emmitted. That's when I looked them up on the net, found out what they were and since then there's been no mercy for them. If I find one in the house it get's trapped in a papercup and then immediately flushed down the toilet ....alive!!!! I'm surprised you didn't smell anything when you squished one. I am so sensitive to smells that I gag when one 'sprays' or dies in my presence. Apparently they breed like crazy but only outdoors, they only come in the house for refuge from the weather and are contorsionists, able to get in through the tinyest of cracks. I've read that even exterminators won't garantee their elimination because they stand so high off the ground and have such impenetratable shells that the poisons don't affect them. I think our area is particularly infested because of all the wooded land in this area, I never really saw them as much when I lived in Brookline or Swisshelm Park.
Yes, we do live in the same area. The wooded " jungle" faces the back of my house. I've trying just about everything on the outside of the house when they're on the windows. The two things that worked for me was soapy water and WD 40.

* Hopes *

I guess I am too worried that one would crawl or fly ( yes they fly too ) in my babies month. My older son is asthmatic too so that could pose a problem also.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:22 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
I've had one living in my house for months. He doesn't bother me. And I don't bother him. We co-exist.
There's been one in my office all winter. Most of the time I have no idea where it is, but last week it was crawling around on my monitor. I tried to move it gently, but those little suckers hang on for dear life. Who knows what it's been surviving on.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:06 PM

66 posts, read 226,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
Yes, we do live in the same area. The wooded " jungle" faces the back of my house. I've trying just about everything on the outside of the house when they're on the windows. The two things that worked for me was soapy water and WD 40.

* Hopes *

I guess I am too worried that one would crawl or fly ( yes they fly too ) in my babies month. My older son is asthmatic too so that could pose a problem also.
Same here, we have a long lot that is all downhill with lots of trees and a creek behind the house followed by more trees up the other side of the valley before there are more house. I guess they take pretty well camoflaged shelter in the trees then follow the warmth coming from house when it gets cold. I read that they even come in thru the chimmneys! I don't think there's anything you can really do about them. I found that alot of them were coming into my daughters room last fall, her room is at the back of the house. After the stinkbug in the crib I ransacked her room and found at least 6 of them hiding in there....in drawers clothes, behind picture frames(that's a big hiding spot!) and a few were clustered together around the window trim. Since then I regularly go thru and check her room, especially around the window and curtains. I also tape up the cracks around the air conditioner when we have it in the window. I wouldn't worry about them getting in baby's mouth, that would have to be pretty good timing for such an occurance. They are supposedly not aggressive and don't bite....just stink and make you have to changed the crib sheets and bathe baby in the middle of the night!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
I recently moved to Forest Hills and noticed several alien looking bugs with shields on their backs lurking on my outside windows and even in the house.

ROFLMAO.....................HA HA HA HA

SOOOOOO SORRY BUT WHEN I started reading this i peed in my pants and still laughing because it sounds hysterical especially the part about the bugs having shields on there back................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh