Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times

Advertisements

I will be posting stories like this from time to time. I guess I could post stories about those who want to leave or have left. Why should I? Pittsburgh needs a better self-image. I want to show it is not just natives that like Pittsburgh.
I Picked Pittsburgh: 'This city has everything'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 PM

297 posts, read 505,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I will be posting stories like this from time to time. I guess I could post stories about those who want to leave or have left. Why should I? Pittsburgh needs a better self-image. I want to show it is not just natives that like Pittsburgh.
I Picked Pittsburgh: 'This city has everything'

I think the whole image thing is overblown. What if Pittsburgh did become the hip place to be? Then it wouldn't be what makes it so cool. It would be full of single yuppies from out of state that are more loyal to their previous city than Pittsburgh. They would only be here for the jobs, complain about the nightlife, traffic would be worse, schools would be more crowded, housing prices would skyrocket, we'd have illegals all over the the place, then at the first sight of trouble these fair-weather pittsburghers would ditch us for the next hip city. I would be devastated if Pittsburgh became another Atlanta or Phoenix. Things aren't great in Pittsburgh economically, but let's stay in reality. Things are far, far better here than most of the rest of the county simply because we didn't have a huge bubble. Whole neighborhoods would be full of empty houses, jobs would be gone, a huge population lose. Basically, we'd be where we were decades ago after the steel mills and coal mines closed. No thanks. Slow and steady isn't a bad thing. If someone really loves Pittsburgh, then great. I want families to come here, and single people that really want to put down their roots. Instead of focusing so much on our reputation, why don't Pittsburghers focus more on keeping our own people here? I see high schools where 1/3 of the seniors have left the area within 5 years of graduating. That's unacceptable.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:28 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
I think the whole image thing is overblown. What if Pittsburgh did become the hip place to be? Then it wouldn't be what makes it so cool. It would be full of single yuppies from out of state that are more loyal to their previous city than Pittsburgh. They would only be here for the jobs, complain about the nightlife, traffic would be worse, schools would be more crowded, housing prices would skyrocket, we'd have illegals all over the the place, then at the first sight of trouble these fair-weather pittsburghers would ditch us for the next hip city. I would be devastated if Pittsburgh became another Atlanta or Phoenix. Things aren't great in Pittsburgh economically, but let's stay in reality. Things are far, far better here than most of the rest of the county simply because we didn't have a huge bubble. Whole neighborhoods would be full of empty houses, jobs would be gone, a huge population lose. Basically, we'd be where we were decades ago after the steel mills and coal mines closed. No thanks. Slow and steady isn't a bad thing. If someone really loves Pittsburgh, then great. I want families to come here, and single people that really want to put down their roots. Instead of focusing so much on our reputation, why don't Pittsburghers focus more on keeping our own people here? I see high schools where 1/3 of the seniors have left the area within 5 years of graduating. That's unacceptable.
I agree!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:47 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
Attracting single professionals should be a priority for the city. These "single yuppies" as you put them are the ones who are innovative, create jobs, and help push the new technology that helps diversify the economy. These "single yuppies" are the ones who help make the city "cool" and bring a music scene, art scene, and other attractions besides worrying about the Stillers.

When comparing Pittsburgh to Philly and Denver with being a single professional male, there are far less other single professionals here. It almost seems like you are an outcast if you arn't engaged by the age of 25. Notice the guy in the article was probably in his 50s? Ask the young crowd out of College if Pittsburgh is the place for them?

Last edited by Awesomo.2000; 05-05-2009 at 07:56 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Attracting single professionals should be a priority for the city. These "single yuppies" as you put them are the ones who are innovative, create jobs, and help push the new technology that helps diversify the economy. These "single yuppies" are the ones who help make the city "cool" and bring a music scene, art scene, and other attractions besides worrying about the Stillers.
Yuppies and hipsters are the single greatest threat to America. Have you seen what they did to Portland and Seattle? What is wrong with having a city that actually is made up of families and generations of people that grew up in the same neighborhood? I would much rather have them as my neighbors than a bunch of pretentious yuppies that look down on everyone in Pittsburgh...or try to change the city because they don't think we're innovative or artsy enough. These people are like roaches, moving from one area to the next for food. One minute they'll all live on the South Side, driving up rents, crime will go up, traffic will be worse, then they'll move to the new, progressive North Side. Then to East Liberty, because that's closer to the Whole Foods. Then they'll move to Penn Hills for the diversity. Finally, they'll think it's cool to live in Wilkinsburg and "gentrify" the place. These people are not wanted anywhere, by anyone. They are fad chasers and do whatever is hip at the moment, without caring whose community they are stepping on. People complain about Wal-Mart, but as far as I'm concerned, these people are far more destructive. Wal-Mart will at least stick around for 10 years. These people won't, and we'll be left with the insane property tax bills and deserted neighborhoods. Besides, any real Pittsburgher knows how innovative, artsy, and technologically savvy the city already is. Pittsburgh's medical, science, and engineering fields are top-notch and can compete with anyone....and that has been done without drinking fair-trade lattes and listening to indie rock all day.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
These people are like roaches, moving from one area to the next for food. One minute they'll all live on the South Side, driving up rents, crime will go up, traffic will be worse, then they'll move to the new,
The so-called "yuppies" are the people who moved into the blighted South Side 25 years ago and turned it into a vibrant business district where people want to work and live. The single professionals, artists, etc are the ones who are willing to take a risk to live in and fix up transitional neighborhoods, while people worried about school districts flee to the suburbs and leave neighborhoods deserted. The city needs a variety of new people and new ideas (in addition to the strong families that already make it their home) to really thrive. I'd suggest reading The Creative Class by Richard Florida.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 05-05-2009 at 08:47 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The so-called "yuppies" are the people who moved into the blighted South Side 25 years ago and turned it into a vibrant business district where people want to work and live. The single professionals, artists, etc are the ones who are willing to take a risk in transitional neighborhoods, while people worried about school districts flee to the suburbs and leave neighborhoods deserted. The city needs a variety of new people and new ideas to really thrive. I'd suggest reading The Creative Class by Richard Florida.
Excellent post. I posted a rant in my above statement about how many on this board have a large disdain for urban single professionals on this board, but took it out. They get on me about my disdain for the people who build new boxy maronda houses in the exurbs in subdivisions, but it is ok to hate on the 20 something, single guy in Shadyside.

You are very right though. It is these young, awful, professionals that take the chance in living in certain areas and helping to fix them. Take Over the Rhine in Cincinatti, Lawerenceville, Manyunk in Philly, and hopefully soon Garfield.

I understand how some can feel angry because of being displaced, but there are ways to work around that, and create a mixed urban neighborhood that is vibrant.

The real question is why does having young urban professionals moving into a neighborhood drive crime up?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
The so-called "yuppies" are the people who moved into the blighted South Side 25 years ago and turned it into a vibrant business district where people want to work and live. The single professionals, artists, etc are the ones who are willing to take a risk to live in and fix up transitional neighborhoods, while people worried about school districts flee to the suburbs and leave neighborhoods deserted. The city needs a variety of new people and new ideas (in addition to the strong families that already make it their home) to really thrive. I'd suggest reading The Creative Class by Richard Florida.
Yuppies turned the South Side into a vibrant business district? I didn't realize yuppies built Station Square, the AE headquarters, the various UPMC facilities, Steelers practice field, and the South Side Works. If they were soley responsible for that, how come the yuppies in Oakland aren't fixing that neighborhood up? How come Shadyside has gone from a beautiful neighborhood, to one full of rundown houses and apartments with slumlords renting each out to a half dozen kids? Even Walnut St. has taken a step back. But as far as the South Side goes, it's only good for bars, clubs, and a bite to eat at Tom's Diner. There aren't even that many book stores, ethnic restaurants or coffee shops there anymore, so I can't imagine yuppies are loving the place anymore. But keep dreaming...yuppies to the rescue. It's always the yuppies that save the day.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:32 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Yuppies turned the South Side into a vibrant business district? I didn't realize yuppies built Station Square, the AE headquarters, the various UPMC facilities, Steelers practice field, and the South Side Works.
The "yuppies" are the ones who came into a neighborhood with a bunch of boarded up storefronts, bought houses and opened small businesses which attracted enough traffic and business for the larger companies to justify expanding into it.

I'm not exactly sure what your argument is. That it's better for neighborhoods like Lawrenceville or East Liberty to stay rundown, rather than having creative young people move in and fix it up, which in turn attracts more business?

Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
The "yuppies" are the ones who came into a neighborhood with a bunch of boarded up storefronts, bought houses and opened small businesses which attracted enough traffic and business for the larger companies to justify expanding into it.

I'm not exactly sure what your argument is. That it's better for neighborhoods like Lawrenceville or East Liberty to stay rundown, rather than having creative young people move in and fix it up, which in turn attracts more business?
You're not exactly sure what my argument is because you never really cared enough to read my initial comment or consider my views. My argument was that it's better to attract families and single people that want to put down roots in Pittsburgh and stay long-term rather than yuppies that could care less about Pittsburgh and are just going to wherever the trent is at the moment, because history has shown that these people often leave communities much worse than when they arrived. I also suggested we focus more on keeping our own young people here, rather than put so much effort into changing our perceived poor reputation. And to your point about the yuppies bringing in big businesses to the South Side...no, the tax breaks did that, not the yuppies. AE doesn't care about yuppies, nor do the Steelers, UPMC, etc. etc. The vast majority of these companies received tax breaks from the state and city for building there. Believe it or not the Pittsburgh economy is not powered by yuppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh