U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-24-2007, 05:32 PM

37,739 posts, read 39,111,207 times
Snaily, if you don't like driving and prefer to live in Squirrel Hill/Shadyside area, why not consider RIDC in Blonox. That's not a very far drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-24-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And since you're young, California will be easier for you. I can't imagine moving out here, now, at my age, and I didn't think twice when we were 24....
You had gumption, Tallysmom!

I admire you for moving out to California at 24 after living your life in Pennsylvania.

You had the courage to step out of your comfort zone and try to make it in a new city---and you started a successful business too!

Unread 04-25-2007, 12:21 AM

75 posts
Quote:
he public education out here all over is in dire need of help...
This may certainly be true in you area, I don't have much experience in Northern CA. But I know of many areas in southern CA that have good schools, for example most of southern Orange County. I'm not sure how the schools in CA compare to an area like Pittsburgh.
Quote:
It's obvious you won't budge in your outdated views of Pittsburgh,
You can say my views are outdated, which is sorta funny considering the issues I'm having with Pittsburgh are happening NOW.
Quote:
but you've been almost exclusively negative since you've arrived and I don't understand you're purpose on this forum.
I've been on this forum for what two days? But yes I will be negative about Pittsburgh and I will continue to be negative about Pittsburgh. How are your positive posts fundamentally different than mine? You are stating your views to people and so am I.
Quote:
I am personally insulted by many and I am not just a "stupid, drunk, overly prideful Pittsburgher."
The fact is I've not personally attacked anybody, I have not called people names. On the other hand you guys have tried to attack me personally. I don't think that its my problem that you feel insulted by someone stating negative things about the city you were raised in.
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure why you ever thought it would having come from California, you think so highly of it.
I think very highly of California now that I've spent time living in other areas, like many people I had the "the grass is greener on the other side" syndrome before I left. When I was thinking about coming out to Pittsburgh I heard all sorts of negative things about the city, but I decided to try it out regardless. Unfortunately once I got to the city I found that many of the things people told me were true. I think resources like city-data can help people make better choices about moving, I was happy to discover it a couple of days ago.

Unread 04-25-2007, 12:32 AM

I think wanting to go back home is natural regardless of where home is.

Just like you want to go back to CA, there are people here who live in CA who want to come back to Pittsburgh.

btw, when are you moving back to CA, Snaily? What's holding you back?

Unread 04-25-2007, 12:46 AM

75 posts
Quote:
I think wanting to go back home is natural regardless of where home is.
We're not trying to go "Home", we're trying to go where our business ideas will do best. We know that place isn't PA or Pittsburgh. We know CA is decent and so we are going to head in that direction, we may very well move again in the next couple years. Also, we have only recently made the discussion to leave and we are waiting for our licenses to end, we'll be out of here in around 2 months. You see I did give the city a chance, even after I graduated I stayed in the city.

Unread 04-25-2007, 01:25 AM

You've chosen CA because you're familiar with it. Why not Chicago? Why not Columbus? (Columbus might not be a large city like Chicago but it's booming.)

Seriously, you said your revenue comes from around the globe. That means you can live anywhere.

If taxes are what's dragging you down, why move to an area with a high cost of living?

You're at an important point in your business. The decision you make is critical.

It would be incredibly unwise to move your business again in another two years.

Do your research just like Tommy. Don't just consider CA, consider everywhere. Find a place where the taxes are reasonable and the cost of living is low.

My goodness, you have your choice of anywhere in the world.

Why go be a small fish in a big pond when you could potentially be a decent sized fish in a small pond?

(unless you're just planning to make your mark and sell to a big fish, but you can do that from anywhere in the country anyway.)

I'm not saying I have the answers. I'm just saying seriously THINK about what you're doing. Don't just wing it.

Go to the forums of other states and find a Hopes and Snaily to help you figure out the positives and negatives of an area!

Tommy's from Pittsburgh and he's still taking the time to do research. Take his lead, Snaily! Research California and other places first!

Unread 04-25-2007, 01:29 AM

75 posts
Quote:
You've chosen CA because you're familiar with it. Why not Chicago? Why not Columbus?
Columbus? Pittsburgh is better than Columbus. C'mon now. We thought about Chicago but couldn't find enough evidence that it would be a good fit for us. Also, I thought what I said was pretty clear. We are moving to CA for the time being, we may move later if we find a better area.
Quote:
If taxes are what's dragging you down, why move to an area with a high cost of living?
What do taxes have to do with cost of living? My view about cost of viewing is that you get what you pay for, all nice areas are expensive.
Quote:
It would be incredibly unwise to move your business again in another two years.
It depends on the state of the business actually, businesses relocated all the time.
Quote:
Do your research just like Tommy. Don't just consider CA, consider everywhere. Find a place where the taxes are reasonable and the cost of living is low.
We have been researching a move since I graduate over a year ago. Our choice of CA is a reasoned one given the information we have. It doesn't make sense to stay in Pittsburgh longer and research more about it, we at the very least know that CA is going to be better for us that Pittsburgh.
Quote:
I'm just saying seriously THINK about what you're doing. Don't just wing it.
I have said more than once some of the reasons we are moving to CA, why you suggest we are "just winging it" is beyond me.

Like your other comments you want to paint a particular picture. But the fact is we've been researching a move for over a year, our dislike for Pittsburgh has nothing to do with being "home sick". Face it a lot of people think Pittsburgh sucks, its not just me.

Unread 04-25-2007, 01:32 AM

Thanks for the laughs, Snaily! I've had a great time tonight!

Unread 04-25-2007, 07:29 AM

2,902 posts, read 6,500,194 times
Again we drift off topic, Yac will be here in no time! I think most reasonable people realize that every forum has those few folk that do nothing but thwart people from coming to that particular city. I am on a LOT of city forums and these people exist at every one, believe me. The regulars know just to ignore them, we should learn to do the same. Sadly, most people who seek these forums do so because of job relocation and such negative attitudes don't help them at all. In my opinion, these forums are for helping people make a transition and giving people advice on the great aspects of Pittsburgh. Most of us are very honest and have no problem talking about the negative aspects as well, but being a blatant "Pittsburgh hater" on a Pittsburgh forum makes no sense when we are all about being friendly and helping people when we can. Let the ignoring start and the topic straying end! haha.

Unread 04-25-2007, 07:43 AM

623 posts, read 1,081,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
Again we drift off topic, Yac will be here in no time! I think most reasonable people realize that every forum has those few folk that do nothing but thwart people from coming to that particular city. I am on a LOT of city forums and these people exist at every one, believe me. The regulars know just to ignore them, we should learn to do the same. Sadly, most people who seek these forums do so because of job relocation and such negative attitudes don't help them at all. In my opinion, these forums are for helping people make a transition and giving people advice on the great aspects of Pittsburgh. Most of us are very honest and have no problem talking about the negative aspects as well, but being a blatant "Pittsburgh hater" on a Pittsburgh forum makes no sense when we are all about being friendly and helping people when we can. Let the ignoring start and the topic straying end! haha.

This is completely true. I even posted a bunch of links one time to different people on another board complaining about aspects of 10 different major U.S. cities that weren't Pittsburgh. The funniest part was that all of the complaints were the exact same things that the Pittsburgh-haters here keep complaining about, and all these people said they were going to find some other place to move to that was better!

My opinion: pretty much anyplace is what you make of it. Every time I see the intensely negative posts about Pittsburgh (or any other city, for that matter), I usually think, "Well, there's someone who's accustomed to blaming all their personal problems on someone/something else."

If your life sucks here, it'll probably suck in LA, or Chicago, or Miami too, because unfortunately you take your negativity with you when you move. And honestly, I don't understand the point in trying to convince other people that someplace sucks. Ok, you hate it. Good for you. Why is it necessary that everyone else hate it too? Maybe people do this because they know deep in their hearts that it's them, not the city. They think if enough people join their negative bandwagon they can remain in denial about the true cause of their unhappiness a little longer.

No, Pittsburgh isn't perfect. But it's not hell on earth either. It's a nice city with some great things and some not-so-great things, just like a lot of other cities. And I like it here. But then again, I work hard on making my life good here, and improving my environment. I don't just sit around and complain about how much my life sucks all the time. Maybe you need some emo music, complaining Negative Nellies! Or maybe you need to get off your rear end and go do something to make stuff better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh