U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-25-2007, 07:49 AM

2,902 posts, read 6,478,457 times
Quote:
It's a nice city with some great things and some not-so-great things, just like a lot of other cities
Wrong, like EVERY other city that ever was, is, and will be. Utopia has never been realized.. not yet. But apparently CA comes pretty darn close.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-25-2007, 08:41 AM

623 posts, read 1,077,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
Wrong, like EVERY other city that ever was, is, and will be. Utopia has never been realized.. not yet. But apparently CA comes pretty darn close.
I have a good friend who lives in Los Angeles. She's never indicated to me that she thinks California is utopia.

In fact, every time I talk to her on the phone she complains about the traffic, the crime, and the price of housing. She was intensely jealous when I told her I was buying a house here and how much I was paying for it. She and her husband make twice as much as my husband and I do, but they can't even begin to afford to buy a house, even in a bad neighborhood. To afford a decent apartment they have to rent a room to her sister. Her commute is over 1 hour each way every day (by contrast, mine is 15 minutes on PAT). I think the only thing that Los Angeles has going for it over Pittsburgh is the weather. I keep trying to convince her to move here, but she and her husband are in the entertainment industry and he wants to live in a warm climate, so I think she's stuck.

Nothing about what she tells me makes me think I would like living in Los Angeles. I also lived near Palm Springs for a while, and I actually like PA better than CA. But to each his own, I guess.

I invite anyone who thinks California is utopia to go over to the LA and CA forums and see what some of the people are saying over there. I think it might be an eye-opening experience for you!

Unread 04-25-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
But apparently CA comes pretty darn close.
Well of course I was being sarcastic but you are right. Every city forum has those people that are miserable in their own respective city. It's all about personality and situation. Some people are having a hard time and hate a city while others are doing well off and love it, or even vice versa!! There are no universal rules. Some people like myself have a naturally adventurous personality and I will probably leave Pittsburgh for a time just to explore, and yet I in no way dislike the city or am unhappy! Others are quite content being born, raised, and die in the exact same neighborhood. Others leave a city for one reason or another and have that "salmon gene" nag until they come trotting back, yet others never look back again! It's so circumstantial, I could make this post go on for pages!

Unread 04-25-2007, 01:44 PM

3,003 posts, read 2,614,445 times
LA is one of 2, maybe 3 mega cities in the U.S. There's not a lot to compare with most cities below them.

Unread 04-25-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
LA is one of 2, maybe 3 mega cities in the U.S. There's not a lot to compare with most cities below them.
Define mega-city? I would imagine the only true mega-city in the USA would be New York. It's population is nearly 5 million more than the next most populated city. You could fit over 2 X the population of LA into NYC. But I guess you're right, If I had to name the top 3 flag-ship American cities I would go with NYC, LA, and Chicago and anything else would pretty much be a distant second.

Unread 04-26-2007, 01:42 AM

743 posts, read 1,433,449 times
Compared to the DC Metro area, Pittsburgh has higher taxes, less diversity, less culture, worse weather (only second to Seattle in number of cloudy/rainy days per year) and narrow-minded, parochial views with an inefficient (and semi-corrupt) governenment.

I was born and raised in Pgh and have lived in No Va for my entire adult life (the past 20 years) and love the growing, vibrant, healthy outlook here compared to the stagnat, "resistant to change" view of most Pghers....most of them are actually very insular and don't welcom "outsiders" very warmly...they suffer from a perpetual inferiority complex, too (imo).

The Steelers are the only thing I hold dear in my heart from the Burgh.

Unread 04-26-2007, 01:47 AM

59 posts, read 72,079 times
In all seriousness, why would somebody who hasn't lived in Pittsburgh for 20 years post in a Pittsburgh forum to say how bad it sucks? If VA was so great, then why are you posting in the Pittsburgh forum in the middle of the night? Must be SOMETHING missing in your life, wouldn't you say?

Unread 04-26-2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
why would somebody who hasn't lived in Pittsburgh for 20 years post in a Pittsburgh forum to say how bad it sucks
Story of our life..

Quote:
Compared to the DC Metro area, Pittsburgh has higher taxes
You definitely need to be more specific and have you truly done your research and accounted for cost-of-living and cost of property in which DC is almost absurd? I have 4 family members (2 on my dad's side and 2 on my mum's) in DC that make a lot of money and lead a fairly extravagant lifestyle and your personal property tax is DESTROYING them. They are already eyeing up homes in Fox Chapel where they did research and found they would save an astronomical amount of money, especially due to the fact that they will sell their home for almost a million dollars and have huge surplus in gorgeous fox chapel. Not to mention, some of them are in their 60s and are retiring soon and PA doesn't tax retirement in which VA certainly does.

Did you happen to see Pittsburgh was also JUST ranked number #1 in most livable city in the country? All your other points I could argue too, but won't. Most of them are moot considering comparing DC to Pittsburgh is stupid. You can only compare DC to about 3 other American cities and possibly less than a handful in the world. So I chose not to argue, why bother?

Last edited by guylocke; 04-26-2007 at 06:25 AM..

Unread 04-26-2007, 06:08 AM

623 posts, read 1,077,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
Story of our life..
Personally, I think they're all the same person - someone who has a lot of different personalities.

Unread 04-26-2007, 07:33 AM

65,200 posts, read 51,495,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
A more true indicator of population growth and shrinkage is statistical evidence. And someone (can't remember who right now) posted a very long, detailed link that indicated that Pittsburgh's declining population was basically due to a generation gap from the closing steel mills in the 1980s and old people dying off, NOT because of young people leaving the city. I'm sorry that doesn't match what you want to believe about Pittsburgh, but that's the way things go sometimes.
HI! I'm back from Europe, and I'm having a little trouble adjusting to the time change, so I've been up early unpacking and yes, reading city-data (my kids would kill me if they knew; they think I spend too much time here). Anyway, I've been reading this thread and seeing lots of stuff I'd like to respond to, but I have to go to work in a little bit. I decided to respond to this one: one of those links which supposedly "proved" the above was a five year old opinion piece which offered nothing but the author's opinion of why Pburgh is losing so much population. None of those links really gave a good answer other than deaths exceed births (well, I suppose so, considering Pittsburgh's large elderly population relative to its population of women of childbearing age) and little immigrantion, which turned into immigrant-bashing. None of them address the issue "why are there so few women of childbearing age here?", ie women in their 20s and 30s (technically, according to population statistics, women 15-49.) It would be helpful, I think, if the city leaders whould recognize the problem instead of coming up with more and more excuses.

BTW, while ambling through downtown Koln (Cologne) Germany with my "Pitt" backsack on, someone from Peters Twp came up and said "hello". Small world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh