U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:52 PM

2,405 posts, read 2,800,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
How about the Just Ducky tour?

Just Ducky

It is an amphibious WWII vehicle that tours the city on land and water.
I did that last year. It's great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 08:48 PM

3,191 posts, read 3,663,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrExit23 View Post
Well, given that the family rarely gets together, it's a chance for the older of us [them] to purchase much-needed items for the younger of us [us].

Is this really rocket science?
Nothing rocket science about it. I just think it's ridiculous to shop on holidays. It's amazing that people don't have any other way to spend time together.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:30 PM

2,405 posts, read 2,800,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
The Ducky tours are surprisingly informative. It's mostly downtown perhaps it's because Pittsburgh isn't a touristy town, but I would even suggest natives have a little fun and take the tour.

There are only a handful of American zoos that I would rank better than the Pittsburgh Zoo, especially as an older facility.
I agree. I hate touristy stuff usually and the Ducky tour was fun. Also, I've been to almost every zoo in the country, and you're right about that too. The Seattle zoo is a little better, but comparable. The aquarium is what makes this zoo special. They really need a reptile house, though.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:44 AM

8,114 posts, read 6,835,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibor75 View Post
The Ducky tours sound pretty stupid. you'll probably share the ride with 65 year old tourists who are too old to drive or can't. In my opinion, group tours in any city are for poeple too old or too lazy to do things on their own.

My wife and I always to the "tourista" thing when we visit a city for the first time. It gives you a starting point and a lot of times the tour guide can recommend some other places to check out, like good restaurants. Took one in LA, that was really good. The Chicago Architectural boat tour is excellent.

To each his own.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:00 AM

67,307 posts, read 54,914,303 times
There are a number of zoo rankings, but this one seems to jibe with what I know about zoos:

The Zoo Book

Old 05-18-2009, 08:49 AM

23 posts, read 38,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Nothing rocket science about it. I just think it's ridiculous to shop on holidays. It's amazing that people don't have any other way to spend time together.
Thank you for your contributions to this thread.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:02 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,663,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrExit23 View Post
Thank you for your contributions to this thread.
My pleasure....

Old 05-18-2009, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 903 times
There is a winery on Route 910 called Narcisi Winery. You have to take your own food, but the wines are great, and it is a good time.

Check out the City Paper too - it usually has an extensive listing of things to do. If you like theatre, City Theatre's SPEAK AMERICAN is supposed to be great.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:30 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,051,968 times
MrExit23, have you decided on what you're going to do this week-end?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:14 AM

23 posts, read 38,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
MrExit23, have you decided on what you're going to do this week-end?
Yes, in fact! And thank you all for your suggestions!

We will be visiting the Zoo on Sunday. It's been at least 20 years since any of us went to the Pittsburgh Zoo, and we're eager to check out the renovated facilities. Plus, my girlfriend is a big lover of Zoos, and we don't have one here in Charlotte, NC (the closest is an hour and a half away). It also gets us back closer to downtown from Cranberry, which was a goal of mine, such that we might stop somewhere for lunch or dinner on the way home.

Any suggestions for a restaurant near the Zoo that could serve for both, depending on timing?

My parents will be visiting Narcisi Winery on Friday (we get in Saturday), They've been before but enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh