Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 AM

26 posts, read 64,895 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Pittsburgh (actually staying in Cranberry Twp.) over Memorial Day Weekend - our annual event where my family gets together (parents, aunt, me) and for the first time my girlfriend will be joining me. We get in from Charlotte, NC on Saturday morning (5/23) and leave Tuesday afternoon (5/26).

Our Saturday always begins the same way - straight from the airport to Wholey's in the Strip District for fish sandwiches. We walk around the Strip, then go to Trader Joe's on Penn Ave (family from FLA doesn't have one), and in honor of my girlfriend joining us, we'll be riding on the Duquesne Incline. Saturday is set, and it should be fun.

Now, Sunday, May 24. We have no plans. Monday is usually set aside for shopping and relaxing, but we know we want to do something that Sunday. My parents have gone to Amish Country in the past, visiting Volant Mill Winery. That's an option, though with it being Sunday, there won't be many Amish folks around.

Any suggestions on what to do that day? Any events happening that weekend (I checked PG and didn't see any)? I suppose we could take in a museum (we went to the Warhol recently), or the Zoo. No Pirates games, sadly. First time they haven't had a game over Memorial Day weekend in years it seems.

I really want to show my girlfriend a good time in Pittsburgh. Though I've never lived there, it was where I spent every Xmas while my grandmother was alive, and for this frquent transplant, it's my ideological hometown.

Go Buccos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 12:02 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
The Carnegie museums in Oakland are really good. I actually never been to the Aviary, but I hear it is really cool. I hope to get to it this summer.

See if anything is happening like concerts or theater if you are interested. There is the carnegie science center, rent a boat, gateway clipper, and maybe the Pens will be playing that weekend so you can watch the game outside on the jumbotron. It is actually a good free way to have fun.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:52 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,501 times
Spend, Sunday May 24 at Kennywood, if that's your thing. Kennywood is the Pittsburgh area's amusement park. Here is their website:

Make a New Memory at Kennywood Park, Pittsburgh PA

Or, keep checking the City Paper. You'll find a bunch of things to do in it. Being that Memorial Day week-end is fast approaching, I'd keep checking their website for the latest happenings that week-end.

Pittsburgh City Paper - News, Music, Restaurants, Events, Arts and Entertainment Newspaper

Old 05-11-2009, 07:05 PM

...Or you can catch a sight-seeing cruise on Sunday, May 24 on the Gateway Clipper Fleet. This is great for out of towners. I see they have a tour scheduled for Sunday morning and 2 for Sunday evening. Here is the website/schedule:

Gateway Clipper Fleet (http://www.gatewayclipper.com/cruises/subcruise/onehourss.asp?category=Onehoursight&curpage= - broken link)

If you're into comedy, the Improv always has a show going on...here is their schedule.

Shows Schedule (http://www.symfonee.com/Improv/pittsburgh/attractions/index.aspx - broken link)

Old 05-12-2009, 05:13 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrExit23 View Post
Monday is usually set aside for shopping and relaxing,
I'll never understand why people have to shop on holidays, except for last minute items.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:29 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I'll never understand why people have to shop on holidays, except for last minute items.
Hell, I remember when nothing was open on holidays or sunday for that matter.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:50 AM

439 posts, read 1,473,931 times
How about the Just Ducky tour?

Just Ducky

It is an amphibious WWII vehicle that tours the city on land and water.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:03 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Just Ducky

Why does that website just have Pittsburgh? I was wondering if they would have the other cities they opperate in, but it never mentions them. I wonder if they are another company?

Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Just Ducky

Great idea for out of towners as well! I always forget about this. Probably because when I went on it, I was scared as all get out once we hit that water. Didn't know we were going to be THAT close to the water whereas I can put my hand out and touch it... This does not sit well with a person who cannot swim...lol.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:59 AM

439 posts, read 1,473,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Why does that website just have Pittsburgh? I was wondering if they would have the other cities they opperate in, but it never mentions them. I wonder if they are another company?
I have seen them in other cities (Tampa maybe?), but they must be operated by different companies.

I haven't done this myself, but always wanted to. We are having lots of people up from Florida this summer and I think we are going to give this a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh