Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:56 PM

105 posts, read 181,603 times

Advertisements

The Mon-Valley COULD make a comeback, but it's highly unlikely. First off, let me dispose of the merger argument. While it is true that Roscoe, Elco, Stockdale and Allenport have merged police forces (RESA), what kind of protection do they really have? One officer on duty for 40 hours per week is not exactly what taxpayers want. The local population must cease their overreliance on State Police protection. The SP can only do so much. It makes me sick to read about places like Hempfield, a township with an area 3 times the size of Fallowfield, and 20,000 or more residents (many of them wealthy), relying on State Police because they are too cheap to pay their own police.

Back to my point. The Valley's topography does not lend itself to mergers and joint services. For example, putting school districts together is not realistic. Kids will spend far too much time on school buses. Merging police and fire services does not make sense, either, unless it is part of a joint response agreement (ie. answering calls in each other's towns, etc.).

There are very few large scale areas available for development. Infastructure is crumbling and political corruption and one party rule are not helpful, either. PA's corporate tax rate, 9.99%, is the second highest in the nation. A Closed Shop/Union environment also scares off potential employers. Do you want to save the state, and the valley?

1. Pass an Open Shop law. Ban strikes by teachers and transit workers.
2. Do away with "Prevailing Wage".
3. Cut corporate taxes to the bone.
4. Offer incentives to attract high paying jobs.
5. Fight for federal handouts (really, your own money under another name) to destroy and redevelop blighted properties. (Passing through Charleroi and looking at the homes gives one the impression that the town was hit by a massive flood, and was never cleaned up after the water receded. Charleroi is dirty, unkempt, decrepit, dilapidated, faded, gray, full of empty storefronts and cracked streets).
6. If the government is going to spend your money, demand that they spend it on infastructure (roads, bridges, ramps, streets, sewers, etc.).
7. Crack down, harshly, on crime and political corruption.
8. Understand and accept that the steel mills are NEVER coming back.
9. Try and attract small and mid-size offices such as law firms, investment firms, engineering companies, contractors, technology firms, transportation companies, etc. to the area.
10. Focus on for-profit and families, not non-profit and seniors.
11. Oppose every housing project or HUD grant program out there. Adopt a NIMBY attitude towards people of low character.
12. Vote out politicians who don't help the Valley EARN its' living (yes, seniors, that means you might have to think while you vote and pull the 'R' lever.)

There are other ideas but this is a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:17 AM

14 posts, read 53,508 times
I almost think this thread is ridiculous. I grew up in the Mon Valley. We own a BBQ place right on the river - Welcome to The Rib cage BBQ!- - and we do more business then you would imagine. Just because these areas are run down in the eyes of outsiders does not mean that the people who live there do not love their area. Like many other posters said, people and families still live in these places, they still have jobs here, and the mon valley is better off then many other places in Pittsburgh.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:07 PM

294 posts, read 659,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnnycash View Post
I almost think this thread is ridiculous. I grew up in the Mon Valley. We own a BBQ place right on the river - Welcome to The Rib cage BBQ!- - and we do more business then you would imagine. Just because these areas are run down in the eyes of outsiders does not mean that the people who live there do not love their area. Like many other posters said, people and families still live in these places, they still have jobs here, and the mon valley is better off then many other places in Pittsburgh.

Just out of curiosity, what would those places be? Homewood, Wilkinsburg, upper North side? If you are including the ghettos then yeah the Mon Valley isn't so bad of a place to live i guess.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
Just out of curiosity, what would those places be? Homewood, Wilkinsburg, upper North side? If you are including the ghettos then yeah the Mon Valley isn't so bad of a place to live i guess.
Yeh, not a particularly high bar to clear.

Whatever the problems of these other places, it doesn't change the fact that the Mon Valley is struggling mightily.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:02 PM

366 posts, read 943,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
We're ignoring the OP's question. Merger seems to be a good idea. Considering the hard times and nothing getting better in these towns, why have 6 chiefs of police/fire depts., mayors, tax collectors, etal.? What would be some of the obstacles that need to be overcome?
This. And these areas, like my hometown, would get some good revival if it were possible to blow up 1/2 of the unoccupied housing due to flight and replace with trees / parks / community centers. Allegheny County has way too many layers of government in general. Such waste and what does it amount to in the end?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:08 PM

^^What it amounts to is this: greater responsiveness and accountability at the local level. Larger government agencies have more constituents to try to make happy, and the more you try to make happy, the more likely that few or none of them will be. You may save money, but the tradeoff is to have a larger bureaucracy that cares less about your specific town.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:37 PM

366 posts, read 943,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^What it amounts to is this: greater responsiveness and accountability at the local level. Larger government agencies have more constituents to try to make happy, and the more you try to make happy, the more likely that few or none of them will be. You may save money, but the tradeoff is to have a larger bureaucracy that cares less about your specific town.
Correct. But does the population warrant the cost? I'd like to have a gourmet steak dinner every night but I don't have the resources to support it.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
Correct. But does the population warrant the cost? I'd like to have a gourmet steak dinner every night but I don't have the resources to support it.
I get what you're saying, there are arguments for both sides. But while distressed communities may not be able to afford the kind services they want, what you risk with consolidation, especially when consolidating with other distressed communities, is that not only does the level of services not improve, but it becomes harder to hold officials accountable when the level of services they provide is unsatisfactory. If the goal is simply to save money without regard to quality of services, consolidation makes sense. If the goal is to improve services, that is a dicier proposition. If the goal is more responsive government, forget it.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick538 View Post
The Mon-Valley COULD make a comeback, but it's highly unlikely. First off, let me dispose of the merger argument. While it is true that Roscoe, Elco, Stockdale and Allenport have merged police forces (RESA), what kind of protection do they really have? One officer on duty for 40 hours per week is not exactly what taxpayers want. The local population must cease their overreliance on State Police protection. The SP can only do so much. It makes me sick to read about places like Hempfield, a township with an area 3 times the size of Fallowfield, and 20,000 or more residents (many of them wealthy), relying on State Police because they are too cheap to pay their own police.

Back to my point. The Valley's topography does not lend itself to mergers and joint services. For example, putting school districts together is not realistic. Kids will spend far too much time on school buses. Merging police and fire services does not make sense, either, unless it is part of a joint response agreement (ie. answering calls in each other's towns, etc.).

There are very few large scale areas available for development. Infastructure is crumbling and political corruption and one party rule are not helpful, either. PA's corporate tax rate, 9.99%, is the second highest in the nation. A Closed Shop/Union environment also scares off potential employers. Do you want to save the state, and the valley?

1. Pass an Open Shop law. Ban strikes by teachers and transit workers.
2. Do away with "Prevailing Wage".
3. Cut corporate taxes to the bone.
4. Offer incentives to attract high paying jobs.
5. Fight for federal handouts (really, your own money under another name) to destroy and redevelop blighted properties. (Passing through Charleroi and looking at the homes gives one the impression that the town was hit by a massive flood, and was never cleaned up after the water receded. Charleroi is dirty, unkempt, decrepit, dilapidated, faded, gray, full of empty storefronts and cracked streets).
6. If the government is going to spend your money, demand that they spend it on infastructure (roads, bridges, ramps, streets, sewers, etc.).
7. Crack down, harshly, on crime and political corruption.
8. Understand and accept that the steel mills are NEVER coming back.
9. Try and attract small and mid-size offices such as law firms, investment firms, engineering companies, contractors, technology firms, transportation companies, etc. to the area.
10. Focus on for-profit and families, not non-profit and seniors.
11. Oppose every housing project or HUD grant program out there. Adopt a NIMBY attitude towards people of low character.
12. Vote out politicians who don't help the Valley EARN its' living (yes, seniors, that means you might have to think while you vote and pull the 'R' lever.)

There are other ideas but this is a start.
I can tell that you have no strong roots in any small town!
People in these small towns are proud of their roots.
We work hard for what we have.
We weren't born with a silver spoon in our mouths!
It sounds like you were!
You sound like a Wall Street kind of guy.
You care about no one but yourself.

Last edited by Yac; 10-21-2011 at 03:21 AM..

Old 10-20-2011, 09:05 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeBull View Post
I can tell that you have no strong roots in any small town!
My parents grew up in rural northern Missouri, and even they've said that the mid-Mon Valley is a lost cause. What purpose does a company town have when the company leaves?

Quote:
People in these small towns are proud of their roots.
But what if the roots are all that's left?

Quote:
We work hard for what we have.
You know, elitism isn't just somebody boasting about how smart, rich or sophisticated they are. Elitism can also be somebody boasting about how much harder they work than everybody else.

Quote:
We weren't born with a silver spoon in our mouths!
Join the ****ing club. That just makes you like 95 percent of everybody else.

Quote:
It sounds like you were!
No, or I would never have grown up in Penn Hills.

Quote:
You sound like a Wall Street kind of guy.
'Cuz I'm sure you've met a few and know what they're like.

Quote:
You care about no one but yourself.
Actually, we care about the region. We care about the bigger picture. We care about what is, and what will be. You seem to care more about what was than anything else. You're the one trying to justify the existence of company towns without companies. Nothing lasts forever, not even communities. If Rhyolite, NV could disappear due to economic forces, then so can anyplace else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh