U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:56 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,918,583 times

Advertisements

On our often trips to Oakmont and the other river communities, I have noticed two separate structures along Allegheny River Blvd headed towards Verona on the right side of the road. One of the structures actually has steps on them.

Does anyone know what they are/where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 08:34 AM

13,103 posts, read 10,597,530 times
I remember reading something about this from the City Paper a few years ago: Along Allegheny River Boulevard, there are several closed turn-outs along the road. They appear to be used for some kind of loading maybe. What were they used for? - Question submitted by: Rod Sanders, Penn Hills - Views - You Had to Ask - Pittsburgh

Old 05-14-2009, 08:49 AM

Thank you, very interesting.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:57 AM

2,424 posts, read 872,174 times
I grew up near and drove this road a thousand times. I often thought this road should be restored to its former beauty. I bet it was a beautiful scenic route at one time. The reason they were closed was because gay men were having sex there and they couldent keep them out. I'm sure hourly patrols by the police would have helped.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I grew up near and drove this road a thousand times. I often thought this road should be restored to its former beauty. I bet it was a beautiful scenic route at one time.
I think it's a beautiful scenic route now. I love driving to Verona or Oakmont. It's such a beautiful river and lots of beautiful places along side of it.

Quote:
The reason they were closed was because gay men were having sex there and they couldent keep them out.
That's always nice to hear.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:41 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,405,426 times
I always thought that it would be nice to have a 5K along this route because it is flat, scenic and along the river. I measured it in my car. It is 3.2 miles, or 5K, from the light at the intersection of Washington Boulevard to the Verona Giant Eagle Shopping Center sign. Those would be good starting and finishing locations.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
I always thought that it would be nice to have a 5K along this route because it is flat, scenic and along the river. I measured it in my car. It is 3.2 miles, or 5K, from the light at the intersection of Washington Boulevard to the Verona Giant Eagle Shopping Center sign. Those would be good starting and finishing locations.
That's actually a great idea! I'd try running it myself but there isn't a safe enough berm on either side for me.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:27 PM

2,145 posts, read 2,031,897 times
No doubt, they were built by the WPA, the stimulus program of the day. I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember a marker somewhere to that effect.

They've been closed for as long as I remember, which is a pretty long time. At least the early 60s.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
No doubt, they were built by the WPA, the stimulus program of the day. I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember a marker somewhere to that effect.

They've been closed for as long as I remember, which is a pretty long time. At least the early 60s.

There are still WPA sidewalks in good condition in Pittsburgh area neighborhoods and municipalities. The WPA logo is imprinted into the cement. Many of them have no cracks at all.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
That's actually a great idea! I'd try running it myself but there isn't a safe enough berm on either side for me.

Maybe the areas of the scenic overlooks and turnoffs could be areas for fans, medical units and police during the race. Of course, some serious runners can do a 5K in twenty minutes. The need to have for maybe two or three water stations and staging areas should be sufficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh