Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't WAMO swap frequencies and transmitter power with another station some time ago, which resulted in them having a considerably weaker signal? That in itself would be either a barometer of how good the market is (not very), for that segment, or a cause of their market share being smaller, or possibly both, wouldn't it?
Yeah, back in like the early 90's. There were pockets of neighborhoods, IN THE CITY, that couldn't even get WAMO, (It was a bunch of static, to the point, it just wasn't worth listening to) but people who lived almost near Cleveland and certain areas of West Virginia, could listen to it, loud and clear. I think the signal got better for those neighborhoods, over the years, though. But when they first switched it, it was awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:05 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Right, I said in an earlier post that, to me, Hot 97 IS the epitome of Hip Hop.
You do realize that in reality Hot 97 isn't even the number 1 urban radio station in NY... and it hasn't been number one for years

Old 05-19-2009, 08:08 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,527 times
I don"t listen and i don"t care!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:23 AM

Why is HOT 97, in NEW YORK CITY, even being compared to WAMO in PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA?

Hot 97 reaches out to MILLIONS of people as opposed to WAMO. So, of course they're going to have a totally different strategy in keeping their listeners LISTENING.

Hot 97 breaks out NATIONAL artists, while WAMO was more inclined to break out LOCAL and underground talent.

That comparison should have never even been fonted.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:45 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Why is HOT 97, in NEW YORK CITY, even being compared to WAMO in PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA?

Hot 97 reaches out to MILLIONS of people as opposed to WAMO. So, of course they're going to have a totally different strategy in keeping their listeners LISTENING.

Hot 97 breaks out NATIONAL artists, while WAMO was more inclined to break out LOCAL and underground talent.

That comparison should have never even been fonted.
Yeah, that was my bad...I phrased something wrong on an earlier post with Hot 97 being compared to WAMO and in typical City-Data fashion, people get their wikipedia skills going to try and prove how wrong and different they are, as if I didn't know! I was just trying to compare that they play similar songs since everyone was on here saying that WAMO didn't play good music, when in reality, they are playing the same songs as other hip hop radio stations, for the most part.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that was my bad...I phrased something wrong on an earlier post with Hot 97 being compared to WAMO and in typical City-Data fashion, people get their wikipedia skills going to try and prove how wrong and different they are, as if I didn't know!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times
Probably my last post on this thread since I'm not sure I really have any other points to argue...but I found these articles interesting:
Ciao, WAMO -- we hardly knew you anymore
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_625710.html

Old 05-19-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Probably my last post on this thread since I'm not sure I really have any other points to argue...but I found these articles interesting:
Ciao, WAMO -- we hardly knew you anymore
An urban station's loss may be positive - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Thanks!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:24 AM

Interesting points made in both articles. I actually thought I wasn't going to like the article coming from the local Republican newspaper, but the author made some good points.

They still didn't touch upon the fact that hundreds of local promotors will be out of a major advertising tool. They talked about the music and only the music.

Guess I'll be listening to WYEP on Saturday afternoons. Learn something new er'day..

Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Quote:
Bynum, for his part, said the urban music format is so popular that "somebody will step up to fill the void" left by WAMO's absence, which is reassuring to a point.
He must've read my posts in this thread...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh