U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:11 AM

82 posts, read 184,462 times
Default Is charging an extra $150 rent a month for a dog common?

We found a house we might rent, but the landlord is charging an extra $150 a month rent since we have a dog. This is not directed at us, it is her policy.

I think that it is excessive to charge $1,800 a year because of a pet, especially since we may rent the house for more than one year.

Of course we would pay for any damage our dog may do to the house. We've had the dog for 7 years and he has never damaged our house or carpet, even slightly. If he did anything to a rental house, we would immediately pay for repairs or replacement of carpet.

Is this common in Pittsburgh, to charge extra rent if the tenant has a dog, rather than an extra security deposit?

Thanks,
RC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 03:51 AM

2,171 posts, read 4,686,186 times
In my area $50.00 extra a month seems to be the norm for pets.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:30 AM

4,262 posts, read 3,738,402 times
I don't know if this reallyb matters or not, but what area do you live? I was just thinking if this was Shadyside or somewhere affluent, they may charge more for a dog.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:24 AM

82 posts, read 184,462 times
We don't live in the Pittsburgh area yet. My husband is moving there in June, and we are following when school lets out. We returned from a 9-day house-hunting trip there a week ago, which ended in disappointment.

The house is in N. Huntingdon, in the Norwin school district. I don't think it's in a high rent district, because the base rent is $1,100.

We haven't seen it yet. It is a 2900 s.f., 1-story, basement game room, 4 bedroom house. It is fully carpeted, from what I can tell from the pictures.

RC

Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 AM

40,224 posts, read 43,061,503 times
If the base rent and pet rent ($1,250) is within or below your budget, are within your budget, I wouldn't get too hung upon what part is rent for the pet---especially since you had a difficult time finding a place during your 9 day trip.

It's common for landlords to increase rent for pets. It's a nonrefundable pet deposit. Maybe the larger the property, the higher the pet deposit. A $50 increase in rent for an apartment and a larger increase in rent for a larger house makes sense to me.

The only option you might consider is offering to give her $1,800 in the form of a refundable pet deposit. That way you have a chance of recovering your money. Don't let this be a deal breaker though. Many charge the monthly increase for pet rent to cover more than damages. Many do do an allergy carpet cleaning for prospective tenants that might be allergic to dogs (or cats). There is also the risk of the tenant abandoning the animal. Sad but true. It happens a lot in rental properties and causes major damage.

As I said, I wouldn't get hung up on this if you would have rented the house for $1,250 as full rent.

Last edited by Hopes; 05-17-2009 at 09:25 AM..

Old 05-17-2009, 09:15 AM

670 posts, read 780,186 times
I could see a one time deposit of maybe $300 dollars but no more that. Quite frankly this says alot about your potential landlord, you may wany to think about it.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:25 PM

8,113 posts, read 6,827,954 times
I would state to the landlord that the property will be in the same condition when you leave as the same day you rented it. $150 seems out of line. You may be in the driver's seat since there are quite a few rentals on the market.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:41 PM

2,654 posts, read 3,623,293 times
You need to file a complaint with the BBB and contact your local politicians. These kinds of charges for pets amount to nothing more than extortion. Your pet should be covered by your security deposit. Some places charge a one time non-refundable fee. It is outrageous to charge extra every month for a pet. Would you pay extra for a child? How about a goldfish? This landlord is nothing more than a thief trying to take advantage of a pet owner. If the landlord doesn't want pets then they should say NO PETS. The truth is that she wants you to pay what is considered "normal wear and tear." Landlords have learned that allowing pets is a way to shift normal wear and tear to pet damage.
As one poster pointed out, there are a lot of rentals on the market and I am sure you can find a reasonable home that allows a pet at a fair cost. In my location the only signs that out number the for sale signs are the for rent signs.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:43 PM

47,933 posts, read 43,389,049 times
a dog is hard on property.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 PM

40,224 posts, read 43,061,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
As one poster pointed out, there are a lot of rentals on the market and I am sure you can find a reasonable home that allows a pet at a fair cost. In my location the only signs that out number the for sale signs are the for rent signs.
That's not the case for large sized houses in her price range though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh