Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 23,452 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just moved to Pittsburgh for the summer. I am living in allegheny center on the northside which is just a few blocks above the baseball stadium. Anyway, I just want to know where I should not go when I am exploring the city. Ive read a lot of things so far, but I wanted to consolidate all this information with a general consensus of where to stay away from.

Main areas I've heard are really bad are the hills, manchester, and federal st.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 11:23 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,051 times

I've lived here a long time and never realized there were maps like this available. Nice to know.

Federal Street on the North Side, Climax street and nearby areas in Mt. Oliver, and East Liberty and Wilkinsburg are the big areas I tend to avoid. Parts of the areas are ok just certain pockets seem dangerous. When I used to work as a case manager, those are the areas we knew to be extra careful in.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,816 times
Im moving to 300 block of Arabella in Mt Oliver (not the borough). Can you tell me if this is an okay pocket or a more dangerous one? Thanks, Polly

Old 08-20-2010, 04:23 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times
Wilkinsburg, Homewood, Manchester and Federal Street on the North Side are no brainers. Other places you might want to avoid include certain parts of the Hill District, McKeesport, New Kensington and McKees Rocks. You will also hear plenty of other places, mostly along the Mon River that might be shady, but if you're just happening to drive through those areas, then you shouldn't have a problem. It's when you hang out in those areas and associate with other junkies when you're likely to encounter problems, mostly just kids selling drugs but there will be a shooting from time to time. Not saying it will definitely happen, but there's that possibility.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:38 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
Wilkinsburg, Homewood, Manchester and Federal Street on the North Side are no brainers. Other places you might want to avoid include certain parts of the Hill District, McKeesport, New Kensington and McKees Rocks. You will also hear plenty of other places, mostly along the Mon River that might be shady, but if you're just happening to drive through those areas, then you shouldn't have a problem. It's when you hang out in those areas and associate with other junkies when you're likely to encounter problems, mostly just kids selling drugs but there will be a shooting from time to time. Not saying it will definitely happen, but there's that possibility.

Well my car was broken into (quite badly too....really damaged my passenger side) in Shadyshide (close to Chatham). However if I said stay away from Shadyside, no one would endorse me on that.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:14 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
As always, I feel compelled to note that Wilkinsburg has some very nice parts, and also some other parts that are at least OK.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oliver Life View Post
Im moving to 300 block of Arabella in Mt Oliver (not the borough). Can you tell me if this is an okay pocket or a more dangerous one? Thanks, Polly
Pretty much all of Mount Oliver is bad. I live in the next community over (Carrick which is also bad) and avoid driving through there at all costs. A few years ago some dude pulled out a gun in the middle of traffic and was going to shoot him and this was in broad daylight. My brother's friend was jumped there recently and had his ribs broken, it's pretty rough.

In before the "IT AIN'T SO BAD!!!!!!!!11" crowd arrives.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post

Well my car was broken into (quite badly too....really damaged my passenger side) in Shadyshide (close to Chatham). However if I said stay away from Shadyside, no one would endorse me on that.
Oh of course not.

I work at a University and you should see the amount of CRIME ALERTS, we get through e-mail, in regards to crime happening in SHADYSIDE. Mainly break-in's and muggings and words of caution for people to "be careful and to not walk alone at night"....

Old 08-20-2010, 07:08 AM

398 posts, read 701,891 times
I see this argument made often here, and I'm flabbergasted every time. Do people really believe that because some crime happens everywhere, all areas are equally dangerous?

Really?

I understand there are more subtle arguments to be made -- like, for the average, law-abiding citizen, what matters isn't the raw crime rate, but the "stranger" crime, i.e. people who are minding their own business yet end up mugged, shot, etc. by someone they don't know. But "well, my neighbor got her car window smashed in Point Breeze, so how can you say it's any less dangerous that Homewood?!" type arguments... really surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh