Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:06 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,810,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Seriously, why can't you leave? I don't understand what's holding you back.
Uh, lack of jobs for one. The country is in a recession. Pittsburgh may not be, but the rest of the country is.

Sorry you don't agree with my views of Pittsburgh, but encouraging me to leave when I already want to is irrelevant to providing OP's with the info they need. It also doesn't encourage people who would like to live here, making us all sound like we'd rather attack one another than provide balanced information. Why don't we stick to the facts and leave out personal attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 01:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,823,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Uh, lack of jobs for one. The country is in a recession. Pittsburgh may not be, but the rest of the country is.
I'm glad your smilie guy is showing you see the irony of that! That was my point of asking. I highly suspected it was the reason you stay here. That contradicts how you discourage people who want to seek employment here---saying you don't see jobs on the horizon. Yet you are here because this is where you can have jobs. You readily admit RIGHT NOW that Pittsburgh isn't in a recession like the rest of the country. Why on earth you wouldn't share that with people who are interested in coming here to find jobs is confusing.

Quote:
Sorry you don't agree with my views of Pittsburgh, but encouraging me to leave when I already want to is irrelevant to providing OP's with the info they need. It also doesn't encourage people who would like to live here, making us all sound like we'd rather attack one another than provide balanced information. Why don't we stick to the facts and leave out personal attacks.
I respect you don't like Pittsburgh. Share exactly what you hate.

But don't leave people with the impression that the economy is dying. It's not. Pittsburgh's economy is the VERY REASON you are living here right now.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:09 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,464,273 times
Well, I don't think anyone should quit a job in "City A" these days and move to "City B" hoping to find employment. It doesn't matter which two cities you're talking about. Pittsburgh is in the recession. There have been many threads on here about it. The unemployment isn't as high as some other places, but they are still in recession.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...08-2009-a.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...s-january.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29919052/

See November 2008

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-25-2009 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 05-25-2009, 05:39 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,810,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, I don't think anyone should quit a job in "City A" these days and move to "City B" hoping to find employment. It doesn't matter which two cities you're talking about. Pittsburgh is in the recession. There have been many threads on here about it. The unemployment isn't as high as some other places, but they are still in recession.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...08-2009-a.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...s-january.html

Where the recession hit, month by month - Adversity Index- msnbc.com

See November 2008
I agree. We often say that if my hubby lost the job he has now, we would be forced to move somewhere because of the lack of jobs available. It's affecting everyone around the country, but Pittsburgh tends to be more isolated for some reason. It's also usually who you know here that helps you get a job. It's how my husband got two of the three jobs he has now. It is also what makes moving elsewhere so difficult.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:45 PM

156 posts, read 296,138 times
Quote:
I would love to! But I think that people asking these types of questions need more than the native Pittsburghers usual cheerleading about how great the city is. Most people here have little experience with living anywhere else and that leads to quite a narrow point of view. Plus, people here are very defensive about this place and a balanced point of view is hard to get.
People who like Pittsburgh are defensive because of all the lies about Pittsburgh.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, I don't think anyone should quit a job in "City A" these days and move to "City B" hoping to find employment. It doesn't matter which two cities you're talking about.
I agree. However, I've seen some discourage people who are currently unemployed from coming here too.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:19 PM

Considering what it costs to move one's family, I'd think long and hard about moving anywhere right now. Better to hang in with the unemployment ins. until the economy improves, except in very extenuating circumstances. This is regardless of the city.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:43 PM

Long-term unemployment costs more than moving a family to a region with better employment prospects.

Ask all of those steel workers who left Pittsburgh for greener pastures in the 70s and 80s.

Unemployment is significantly higher in some other areas.

It wouldn't make sense to stay somewhere with an employment rate near 20%.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Long-term unemployment costs more than moving a family to a region with better employment prospects.

Ask all of those steel workers who left Pittsburgh for greener pastures in the 70s and 80s.

Unemployment is significantly higher in some other areas.

It wouldn't make sense to stay somewhere with an employment rate near 20%.
Point taken, but I think you'd be better off to look around at home first. Some people find jobs even in a recession.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:10 AM

267 posts, read 813,747 times
Quote:
I think you're underestimating the importance of a low cost of living while underemployed during a recession. I would ride out a recession in Pittsburgh over almost anywhere else. There are other areas of the country where there are 200 applicants for even a fast food job. Pittsburgh's economy is not bad by comparison.

Compared to which Pittsburgh university? A couple thousand per year in tution savings won't really offset a higher cost of living.
When we lived in Pittsburgh, my husband was one of 800 applicants for two teaching positions in a school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh