Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 03:59 PM

408 posts, read 991,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingone View Post
I agree with you. Its a decent city, but culturally >>>I am not seeing it. The PSO is wonderful, but I have a story about the art scene:

I was accepted into Artscape in Baltimore City for 4 years in a row back in the nineties. It is a huge arts festival that they say draws a million people to the city. The city closes off streets and traffic is unbearable for residents for the entire weekend.

ok>>> My first year here I went down to the famous Three Rivers Arts Festival on a sunday at 11 am. I parked easily 2 blocks from the artists booths. There was no crowd, no lines, no food vendors to speak of, although I did purchase a deep fried oreo ( no line). I walked through point state park and it was virtually empty. I am so glad I checked it out before paying $400 or so bucks to be a part of it. Needless to say I left with the impression that it was an arts-dead city.
I'm from Baltimore. Your logic is flat wrong.

Artscape is focused on performance arts. 3 Rivers is focused on visual arts.

Artscape brings in huge national pop bands and comedians, and they close of the streets to allow drinking. They bring in huge corporate sponsors to provide kids fair-style activities. They also allow any local band that signs up to get at least a short set at one of their small stages/venus. People go there because its a big party, not for the art.

3 Rivers festival does have food but its provided all by one vendor, and they have kids stuff but its sponsored by small business, etc. The focus is on the visual art. Artscape is much more similar to the Regatta in Pittsburgh than the arts festival.

Oh yeah, Artscape is one weekend whereas 3 rivers art festival is a week and a half long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 09:50 PM

24 posts, read 42,475 times
In no particular order:

1. Pollution
2. Homophobia (though this has calmed down recently)
3. Racism
4. Politics
5. Lack of sophisticated neighborhoods, like Shadyside
6. Overabundance of anti-intellectual, hate spewing, fire-breathing neighborhoods like Point Breeze
7. Sports emphasis
8. Unhealthy people
9. Parking chairs
10. 90s fashion

Old 09-19-2010, 11:02 PM

60 posts, read 172,296 times
"
6. Overabundance of anti-intellectual, hate spewing, fire-breathing neighborhoods like Point Breeze"

Whaaa?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariok689 View Post
"
6. Overabundance of anti-intellectual, hate spewing, fire-breathing neighborhoods like Point Breeze"

Whaaa?
Heh, that was the biggest clue this poster has no idea WTF they're talking about...

Old 09-20-2010, 01:41 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUJYFRUIT0 View Post
very very old and depressing
the people, rude and boring
nothing to do
no fun
all about work work work
the roads
the weather
ugly
stuck in the 70's
their accent
mullet hair styles
all they talk about is sports because there is nothing else in pittsburgh other than sports
they gave it the right name, PITTSBURGH because it is the PITTS
the people are all wannabes
expensive and ugly
Wow, you need to move.

The worst things I find with the Pitts are:

1 - Tunnel Turtles
2 - Sports all the time
3 - Property Taxes
4 - PennDOT
5 - WPJWA doesn't accept direct deposit payments
6 - Parking costs
7 - Library defunding (can't afford libraries that are open to all, but we sure can find $$ for sports teams and their millionaire owners).

Other than that, all is cool.
It has a lot of charm that I find where I'm currently living (Europe) and although I have choices about where I want to live when I return to the States next year, Pittsburgh is it.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariok689 View Post
"

Whaaa?
Religious freaks. Homophobic people. Closedmindedness. It should go without saying that not everyone there is like this, but many. I lived there and my former roommates still do.

Quote:
Heh, that was the biggest clue this poster has no idea WTF they're talking about...
Thanks for contributing. Now go away.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It has a lot of charm that I find where I'm currently living (Europe) and although I have choices about where I want to live when I return to the States next year, Pittsburgh is it.
That is exactly what I said. I lived in 2 different parts of Pgh - South Side was more open-minded. South Side gave me that "European experience". I hate car-culture. I love walking to cafes from my house. I could walk to the theatre to take my neighbor to see the Rugrats movie (lol). I wonder if that is still there. I didn't appreciate the architechure until I moved away.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I love pittsburgh's neighborhoods and how the attractions are spread around. The thing is, very few other cities are like this, and Pittsburgh is not famous for this or anything. Most visitors, especially those just here for a business trip or concert or something, are not going to know that they should venture out of downtown for more attractions, let alone to where.

I don't know if I agree with this statement.
The first thing I do when I travel somewhere new is ask about the local weekly newspaper.
From there, I find my entertainment.
With the proliferation of navigational devices; I don't really think this is an issue, or at least as big an issue as it may once have been.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittGrad2009 View Post
1. Taking a new twist on roads, I'm going to point out the roads that have stairs in the middle, or otherwise are confusing. Look at a google map of Louisa Street in Oakland or Beechwood Boulevard in Squirrel Hill if you need visual aid.
2. The radio-- I was under the impression that AM radio was for talk/sports and FM radio was primarily for music. Apparently, in Pittsburgh this is not so. It's ALL for sports. Seeing as I am not a native or a Pittsburgh sports fan, this is infuriating.
Try WYEP, WRCT, the university stations.
I live in Europe and listen to US radio, YEP among them; I'm sure you could find something that meets your tastes should you want to.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:13 AM

76 posts, read 242,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikelady View Post
In no particular order:

1. Pollution
2. Homophobia (though this has calmed down recently)
3. Racism
4. Politics
5. Lack of sophisticated neighborhoods, like Shadyside
6. Overabundance of anti-intellectual, hate spewing, fire-breathing neighborhoods like Point Breeze
7. Sports emphasis
8. Unhealthy people
9. Parking chairs
10. 90s fashion
Best list yet. Never been to Shadyside though. But yeah, Pittsburgh aint yuppie paradise. There is a lot of religious influence in Point Breeze; I'm guessing the experience is much different for gay people as opposed to straight people. Just avoid places like that. Also avoid Mt Lebanon if religion scares you. I would argue 1-4 on your list are THE top 4, but 2 & 3 are most dependent on peoples attitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh