Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 10:39 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
To be High Fashion city, has to come with Pretentiousness....Pittsburgh is just NOT Pretentious...It's a Very Real City....Pittsburgh hates Fakes and are those people looked down on Absolutely...If you want to be seen as Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashion, or Heidi Montague You need to get out of the Burgh yes you will be miserable.
I disagree somewhat. I've met some fake Yinzers before. You can tell who they are because their accents seem forced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 04:32 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,828 times
I must confess I have run to Home Depot or the local hardware store while in the middle of cutting grass to get some trimmer string or something and I've had old t shirt, jeans and old sneakers with bright green grass stains on them. I never bother to stop and change because I still have to finish the work so I definitely am not looking my best!

What I do know is that there is a small minority of the aging baby boomers here that could use a style update . It's funny because many styles now are straight out of the '80's but are newer modified versions of those fashions. I noticed some younger guys sporting a newer, modified mullet haircut. Now mind you, they are not looking like Joe Dirt, but they look nice and neat,and some of the new shorter asymmetric mullets look sharp.
Hairdressers need to be gently persuading these older clients to make a little change.Some of these women ( and men)are professional level, and take care of themselves in every way but just don't realize they look outdated.

I see women like these all the time on Hoda and Kathy Lee's Ambush! makeovers- and they are from all over the country- it's not indigenous to the Burgh only.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:41 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
You mistakenly assume that I'm only familiar with Pittsburgh/Clairton and Miami apparently. I'm only going to respond to select items; the rest I feel can be disregarded because I just outright disagree.

3. In spite of satellite radio being available...that does not mean that I want to subscribe to it. And some of us rent cars. Not every car out there has an iPod hookup (which is how I listen to music in my own car). Some of us have older cars and/or a company car. This would necessitate listening to the radio.

4. I hang out in the East End, Lawrenceville, 'select' places on the Southside, Oakland, and Bloomsfield mainly. What I am not finding are 30-something men who are either well-educated or talented/driven and who think outside of stereotypes. Unfortunately when I start telling a lot of men about my background...they fill up with a LOT of misconceptions. And the ignorance just starts flowing... Again, I feel these attitudes can be curbed by being properly educated and well-traveled.

5. I don't have any kids. But I do have teenage sisters (who are not lazy by the way...they work part-time jobs). And no, they don't live in Clairton!

6. Old buildings are a HAZARD; in addition to being an eyesore. Not a winter passes where an empty abandoned building doesn't burn down because homeless (or junkies) were hanging out in there to keep warm. You're lucky you don't live next to one, because if you did, you would be singing a different tune.

7. 'Culture' does not equal seeing celebrities...not to those of us with class anyway. And it is not about being pretentious; it is about being connected. Where do most 'trends' start? NYC, Paris, London, etc. Well how much direct interaction is there between Pittsburgh and these places? And no, the direct flights to Paris haven't helped to much apparently.

9. Yes, that is what I am saying.

10. Cat 4-5 Hurricanes happen about every 10 years in particular areas. Sometimes even less frequently than that. Check it out for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Replies in BOLD!
Originally Posted by MissShona
1. It takes forever to navigate around the city.

But then again what other city can you criss cross in No Time - I can get from the North Side to the Waterfront in 20 mins....

2. The city/area is too homogenous ethnically

So Pittsburgh has to be overrun by a bunch of Illegals from Mexico and have one city neighborhood devoted to enclaves of Asians and LGBT's????

I like Pittsburgh way of doing it better, everyone lives amongst everyone....NO ENCLAVES I HATE IT! No neighborhood defining one ethnicity or lifestyle.

3. The radio stations are worthless here

That's because most people live in 2010 now...Its call Satellite Radio...I could never go back.....

4. The singles scene here is pretty sad. There is just not a diversity of interests and lifestyles around here.

Dont know where you're hanging out...Please give me some examples of what you're not finding???

5. Not enough activities for kids/young people (i.e. YMCA's, Boys & Girls Clubs, etc.)

Are we talking about the same Pittsburgh?....Pittsburgh has all those things..Hell did you see what the kids in L'ville are doing...and in case you haven't noticed Kids are LAZY these day all they want to is:

- Cause Trouble.
- Sit in front of a PC/TV/Video Games
- Eat Junk

If you can't find something for your child to I dont think the problem is Pittsburgh...Are you in the city, because your rants sound more like someone from the Burbs.

Edit* - I see you're living in Clairton....Explains alot....

6. Too many old, empty buildings. Tear them down please and plant some grass!

Old buildings bring Character to the Neighborhood, they can be rehabbed to look better than what they had originally...Some yes are too outdated and worn and their time will come....

In the Northeast its not going to be NEW NEW NEW Shiny and NEW everywhere that not how it works.

7. Slow with catching on to new trends in fashion, culture and music.

Yes Pittsburgh is not pretentious and superficial like a NYC, LA or Miami....You're not going to rub elbows and sip Crys-TAL with Paris Hilton and Luda here.....

When you say Culture what kind of Culture is Pittsburgh missing per-say...The Glitz and Glam culture....the Hip Hop Dirrrrty Dirrrrty Culture????

Again Pittsburgh is not that type of city and some people are GLAD OF THAT....

8. The Yinzer accent
Dont worry its slowly dying off...I hate it too and I grew up with hearing it.

9. The geographic ignorance of the natives; not only about the world/country, but about their own county!

What????? Are saying that Pittsburgh is oblivious to the world around them....if so....that true to a certain group namely Yinzers but the rest Pittsburgh is very well informed...

10. THE WEATHER IS HORRIBLE!

Yea well I guess comparing to the tropical Miami weather....it would seem rather "dull" be hey we dont get constant threats of CAT 4-5 Hurricanes.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:10 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
You mistakenly assume that I'm only familiar with Pittsburgh/Clairton and Miami apparently. I'm only going to respond to select items; the rest I feel can be disregarded because I just outright disagree.

3. In spite of satellite radio being available...that does not mean that I want to subscribe to it. And some of us rent cars. Not every car out there has an iPod hookup (which is how I listen to music in my own car). Some of us have older cars and/or a company car. This would necessitate listening to the radio.

But understand if there was still the Market in Pittsburgh then traditional radio would still be available...is my point...So many people are now on Satellite and their ipods that certain stations just aren't hitting the numbers they used too...Hip Hop/Top 40 being the most previlant because the crowds they're geared toward are more advanced about consuming media.

4. I hang out in the East End, Lawrenceville, 'select' places on the Southside, Oakland, and Bloomsfield mainly. What I am not finding are 30-something men who are either well-educated or talented/driven and who think outside of stereotypes. Unfortunately when I start telling a lot of men about my background...they fill up with a LOT of misconceptions. And the ignorance just starts flowing... Again, I feel these attitudes can be curbed by being properly educated and well-traveled.

Well it depends on where you're hanging out, It will be harder if your expecting to find a certain type of man at Clubs...The more educated and successful "Black" men tend not to hang in those establishment and are more of the sophicated culture...I.e. Plays, Comedy shows downtown...The events at the August Wilson attracks alot.

Face it Successful 30's black men unhitched is extremely hard to find outside of maybe Atlanta LA or Suburbs of DC and those men like the playa life, they dont want to be tied down...So that not something exclusive to the Burgh.

5. I don't have any kids. But I do have teenage sisters (who are not lazy by the way...they work part-time jobs). And no, they don't live in Clairton!
OK - but your assertion was theres "nothing for Kids" to do and that couldn't be futher from the truth in the Burgh....Their are plenty of afterschool activities for children....

6. Old buildings are a HAZARD; in addition to being an eyesore. Not a winter passes where an empty abandoned building doesn't burn down because homeless (or junkies) were hanging out in there to keep warm. You're lucky you don't live next to one, because if you did, you would be singing a different tune.

Not really - depends on how old and if that Building could be restored or not.....by your preference half the city would need to be bulldozed then.

7. 'Culture' does not equal seeing celebrities...not to those of us with class anyway. And it is not about being pretentious; it is about being connected. Where do most 'trends' start? NYC, Paris, London, etc. Well how much direct interaction is there between Pittsburgh and these places? And no, the direct flights to Paris haven't helped to much apparently.

That's where you're setting yourself up....You cannot possibly compare Pittsburgh to NYC, Paris or London...Pittsburgh will never be those cities...That's unfair to Pittsburgh to expect it to be...

9. Yes, that is what I am saying.

Well Pittsburgh is known as one of the most Educated and Affluent cities in the country, so can't be too many more cities that are better informed

10. Cat 4-5 Hurricanes happen about every 10 years in particular areas. Sometimes even less frequently than that. Check it out for yourself

But it doesnt happen at all here...something Pittsburgh has going for it....I will admit coming from Miami to Pittsburgh is not something you hear everyday, the two cities could be more opposite, as a matter fact a person would on come to Pittsburgh from MIA if they wanted a complete change from the Miami scene even then Pittsburgh is not on the top of the radar.

So I can see why you expectation have not been met. Pittsburgh is not a pretentious city...Its not glitz and glam...seriously you should've tried NYC, LA if you were looking to keep a bit of Miami with you.
In BOLD

Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 PM

4. I don't limit myself to only dating Black men or any other tye of men! Wow....you are really off base there!

9. Please back up this claim with some sort of proof. I have never seen Pittsburgh on any top 10 list for cities with the highest number of degrees per capita or with th highest high school completion/literacy rates!

10. I don't wish Pittsburgh to be like Miami. And I think you watch too much TV. Miami is not all glitz and glam; and the bit that was there, I would stay far away from. Again 'culture' is not to be equated with flashiness. I would say that living in Miami felt like living abroad...but with all the conveniences of the US. And the weather was awesome. However I could easily make a top 10 list about that place as well! Just like I could easily make a top 10 list of things to love about Pittsburgh. But alas, that is not the topic of this thread!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
4. I don't limit myself to only dating Black men or any other tye of men! Wow....you are really off base there!

Well then you really have no complaint then.....Glad your open when it comes to dating as I am as well....Dated Blacks, Whites, Latinos etc....I found it much more easy to find the man you want when you dont limit yourself to race.

Sorry to think you were limiting yourself to race.

9. Please back up this claim with some sort of proof. I have never seen Pittsburgh on any top 10 list for cities with the highest number of degrees per capita or with th highest high school completion/literacy rates!

Here you go!

Pitt Report: Pittsburgh's Young Workforce Among Top 5 Most Educated in U.S.; Almost Half Hold a Bachelor's Degree or Higher | University of Pittsburgh News

San Francisco Tops List Of Cities With Most College Degrees (CHART)

Seattle tops list of literate cities - USATODAY.com

10. I don't wish Pittsburgh to be like Miami. And I think you watch too much TV. Miami is not all glitz and glam; and the bit that was there, I would stay far away from. Again 'culture' is not to be equated with flashiness. I would say that living in Miami felt like living abroad...but with all the conveniences of the US. And the weather was awesome. However I could easily make a top 10 list about that place as well! Just like I could easily make a top 10 list of things to love about Pittsburgh. But alas, that is not the topic of this thread!

No not TV - I vacation in Miami alot, its my main vacation spot when I dont feel like dealing with the hassles of International travel.

I Love Miami absolutely love it, as a vacation destination that is...but I also see the Lifestyle that exist in the MIA outside of the Hispanic Ghettos...MIA has alot of Pretentiousness, Fake Celebrity wanna-be's....and you being from there should know exactly what I'm talking about. South Beach is (I know not technically MIA) very Ritzy-Glitz and Glam...

in BOLD

Old 10-13-2010, 05:03 AM

9. The first article is the only one I would give credence to....and if you look at the age range.....for SURE that statistic is influenced by the fact that Pittsburgh has 3 major universities in the city and several regional ones in addition to UPMC. A good number of these folks are transient (look at how many CMU grads bail after they finish their graduate degrees)

The other two articles focus on strange variables. There has been a lot of discussion about that Huffinton Post article (read the comments) regarding the relevance of the number of degrees per square mile. The literacy statistic focuses on resources, and not people.

10. Latin culture dominates Miami. I can see where it can be seen as 'pretetious' to outsiders....but looking good and having a good time are important. There is a warped view of what being successful is. However you also have a ton of immigrants who are not happy to rest on the laurels and let opportunities pass them by. You are right in that South Beach is the cauldron for that ish. I used to work on South Beach for 5 years and I would do what I could to bail by 6 pm and head home (I lived in North Miami Beach). South Miami, Doral, The Design District, Miami Springs, Miami Shores, and North Miami were just a few of the places outside my neighborhood that had a cool neighborhood vibe. For residents Miami Beach is just an area and hardly what defines Life in South Florida.

I'm not sure what ghettos you are referring to either. There are just as many Black/Haitian ghettos as well....in addition to ghetto pockets all over the county. But then again I don't view places like Little Havana as ghetto....just as some sort of re-creation of Latin American island life.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:33 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
9. The first article is the only one I would give credence to....and if you look at the age range.....for SURE that statistic is influenced by the fact that Pittsburgh has 3 major universities in the city and several regional ones in addition to UPMC. A good number of these folks are transient (look at how many CMU grads bail after they finish their graduate degrees)
Looking at age 25-34 eliminates almost all college students and a large number of grad/professional students. Moreover, the study also looked at 25-34 who already had a graduate/professional degree, and Pittsburgh was at the top:

Of course many people do leave after getting such degrees from local universities, but some also stay, and some such people are actually migrating in.

Finally, the study looked at bachelor degree attainment in all age brackets, and Pittsburgh remained substantially above the U.S. average in 35-44, and a bit above average in 45-54:

What you are seeing there is yet another example of the Tale of Two Cities that currently dictates Pittsburgh demographic statistics: an older population that was much less educated than the U.S. average is gradually being replaced by a younger population that is much more educated than the U.S. average.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Looking at age 25-34 eliminates almost all college students and a large number of grad/professional students. Moreover, the study also looked at 25-34 who already had a graduate/professional degree, and Pittsburgh was at the top:

Of course many people do leave after getting such degrees from local universities, but some also stay, and some such people are actually migrating in.

Finally, the study looked at bachelor degree attainment in all age brackets, and Pittsburgh remained substantially above the U.S. average in 35-44, and a bit above average in 45-54:

What you are seeing there is yet another example of the Tale of Two Cities that currently dictates Pittsburgh demographic statistics: an older population that was much less educated than the U.S. average is gradually being replaced by a younger population that is much more educated than the U.S. average.
Thank you, I like these statistics better, they tell much more! However I am currently in grad school, and I'm 31. I would say that in my school (which is not even in PA though) and my networking circles, graduate students tend to be in their late 20s and above. However I will admit that I am in a field (business) where this is pretty much the norm....more so than let's say medicine (although graduate students in medicine are in their programs a lot longer).

Even so I am still flabbergasted by the amount of ignorance I encounter in various economic brackets across different regions of the city. Perhaps college education is not enough? I don't know. Ironically, I went to college out-of-state (FL & WV), but I didn't do so because the quality of the local universities are lacking. So what gives? Why on earth do I continue to encounter Pittsburghers who do not realize that you can get to Chicago within a day's drive? Who do not realize the the country of Israel was only founded 60 years ago? Who do not realize that Haiti and the Dominican Republic are the same island? Who do not realize that Canada was under the British commonwealth until 1982? Who do not know the difference between sushi and sashimi? Who do not understand the concept of unlocked cell phones? Who have no idea how and why Magic Shell topping does it's thing on ice cream. These are all conversations that I've had within the last month. And I get these very odd blank looks that basically say, "How in the world do you know that?" As if I am telling them some great hidden secrets of the universe.

For my sorority, I go several times a year to Philadelphia, Chicago, New York and southern WV. This is in addition to going to both SE and SW FL for school (a couple of times per year). And also Canada, Israel, Jamaica, etc. (for personal reasons) internationally. People elsewhere just seem to be more savvy; and it spans culture and economics (I know of some very poor and uneducated Jamaicans that can tell you all about American politics...its wild). What I see in Pittsburgh is a big lack of connection to outside or different influences. There are certain people and groups in this area who really try very, very hard. But still....they are going against a very strong tide.

About two months ago I was having breakfast with the lead singer of the group Machete (one of the few Spanish language acts in town) and we would exchange a few phrases back and forth in Spanish (I'm far from fluent...but its one of the things I would like to work on!). This guy....who was definitely no older than 25....starts going on this mini-rant about how English should be spoken when immigrants come to America. Ummmm....ok. Neither one of us were immigrants mind you! Also I think it's sad how people don't seem to understand that some sayings just do not translate well...and it's better to just keep them in their native tongue. THAT is a concept that really seems to infuriate people around here. I don't get that either; there are much more important things to get upset about besides what language someone chooses to speak!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

Hmmm....I wonder what is causing this great disparity though? One of the things that is pretty surprising to me is that the Pittsburgh region lacks in the way of affordable higher education. Most of the colleges here are private, and then there is the state-supported, but still pricey Pitt, and then your community colleges. IUP, CalU and Slippery Rock may be considered by some to be in the region...however outside of their satellites, their main campuses are pretty far removed from the city (they are all in different counties). Penn State GA is really a feeder school for Penn State Main (which is also expensive).

Also across the entire US is a big comparison. The US lags behind several countries globablly in regards to higher education (hence President Obama's focus on higher education). I know that the attitude up here that a college degree is required to be middle class is not replicated throughout the South for sure (the West...I'm not sure). And most of the professions around here (teaching, medicine, high tech) tend to require degrees. Areas like construction, real estate, transportation and entreprenuership don't require as much in the terms of degrees.

Some added statistics that could offer a clearer picture are the age breakdown of the Pittsburgh region and also national trends over years. For example, the largest and fastest growing minority group of young people are Hispanic; the very same group that has the lowest educational attainment on average (and Pittsburgh has very few Hispanics).

Not nitpicking (believe it or not). Just thinking aloud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh