Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 07:40 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times

Advertisements

I have been to Vegas you would be in for a rude awakening moving from Vegas to Pittsburgh...the grass is always greener on the other side. Winter gets old after about one week. If you don't have a garage your car is an ice cube at 7 in the morning. Our weather isn't that great in general except for nice sunny Fall days like we had today. Fall is probably our best season.

As others said the singles scene sucks in our region of the country especially for a guy. This is a rust belt issue where women graduate from college and move away....to cities like Vegas. Our road system is totally different and much more frustrating compared to the road system in a city like Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 07:45 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
Well - I'm visiting this week and I love it! I love the passion everyone has for the Steelers, I love the brick buildings, the basement bars, the amazing trees turning colors, the cool weather, the deer, the coziness of the homes, the fireplaces... all of it. Yeah, the roads were built when the country was a baby But still, I love it and I love all the people I've met so far. Real salt of the earth...

Old 10-17-2010, 11:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGAS-to-PITTSBURGH View Post
Wow. Well I have spent the past two hours reading almost every comment in this "10 worst things..." topic. I am actually on the verge of moving to Pittsburgh from Las Vegas (complete contrast I know). And a majority of the things that people are complaining about are some of the reasons WHY I want to move there.

<snip>

Any input on anything woud be appreciated. Thanks!
1. "Old and Rundown buildings. . . " There really are a lot in Pittsburgh, not that you have to live in one. It's also untrue that virtually everything west of the Mississippi is post 1900 (which was 110 years ago, anyway). All the large cities of the mountain west and west, except perhaps Vegas, have a history going back into the 19th century. All states except Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii were admitted to the union before 1900. New Mexico, while relatively new as a state, has some of the oldest buildings in the US. However, Pittsburgh does not look as "new" as many western cities. There is, however, suburban sprawl in Pittsburgh as well.

2. I don't live there (Pgh) any more, and I'm way beyond the party life, so I can't comment.

3. There is nothing wrong with "the people" in Pittsburgh; whoever gave you that impression is crazy. There will be a culture shock, because every place is different. I have lived in 7 states, and each time I've moved it's been an adjustment.

4. Property taxes: You will be paying property taxes if you rent as well as if you buy. Rents actually seem high, relative to the price of homes there.

Your concerns:

1. Jobs: You should be concerned about finding a job anywhere you choose to move. It's not a time, IMO, to quit a job and move somewhere else w/o one.

2. Girls: Can't comment.

3. Weather: People from snow-free environments have problems with snowy environments. People move from Cali to Denver and complain about the snow; some move back b/c of it. Not to hijack this thread, that is my experience.

4. It's an "I don't know what" type situation. As I said above, things will be different. Not necessarily better or worse, but different. The west is more libertarian, the east, Pittsburgh area in particular, very Democratic (big D). Westerners are less likely to go to church; in Pgh church attendanc is more common. Just a couple of examples.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:31 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
[quote=Katiana;16299968]1. "Old and Rundown buildings. . . " There really are a lot in Pittsburgh, not that you have to live in one. It's also untrue that virtually everything west of the Mississippi is post 1900 (which was 110 years ago, anyway). All the large cities of the mountain west and west, except perhaps Vegas, have a history going back into the 19th century. All states except Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii were admitted to the union before 1900. New Mexico, while relatively new as a state, has some of the oldest buildings in the US. However, Pittsburgh does not look as "new" as many western cities. There is, however, suburban sprawl in Pittsburgh as well.[quote/]

Pittsburgh is 253 years old. You guys are "babes in the woods" out there.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Well - I'm visiting this week and I love it! I love the passion everyone has for the Steelers, I love the brick buildings, the basement bars, the amazing trees turning colors, the cool weather, the deer, the coziness of the homes, the fireplaces... all of it. Yeah, the roads were built when the country was a baby But still, I love it and I love all the people I've met so far. Real salt of the earth...
I'm glad you're enjoying Pittsburgh ,and despite its drawbacks it really is a pretty and fun city!

Old 10-18-2010, 06:45 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Spring - Wet and chilly with a mix of sunny and overcast.
Summer - Hot, humid and decently sunny.
Fall - Temperate, pleasant and decently sunny.
Winter - Gray, slushy and depressing for four months.
I corrected your post.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I corrected your post.
I'd say it's more like 4-6 months of depressing weather depending on the year, but 4 months is the minimum. Either way, that's going to be a long time for someone who's coming from beautiful Vegas weather.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
1. "Old and Rundown buildings. . . " There really are a lot in Pittsburgh, not that you have to live in one. It's also untrue that virtually everything west of the Mississippi is post 1900 (which was 110 years ago, anyway). All the large cities of the mountain west and west, except perhaps Vegas, have a history going back into the 19th century. All states except Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii were admitted to the union before 1900. New Mexico, while relatively new as a state, has some of the oldest buildings in the US. However, Pittsburgh does not look as "new" as many western cities. There is, however, suburban sprawl in Pittsburgh as well.
Pittsburgh is 253 years old. You guys are "babes in the woods" out there.
Just in time for Halloween, take a look at this:

Haunted Santa Fe, New Mexico

Santa Fe, New Mexico, established in 1607, is the second oldest city founded by European colonists in the United States. Only St. Augustine, Florida is older.

Denver is 152 years old. What's 101 years between friends?

Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 AM

408 posts, read 991,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I'd say it's more like 4-6 months of depressing weather depending on the year, but 4 months is the minimum. Either way, that's going to be a long time for someone who's coming from beautiful Vegas weather.
Beautiful Vegas weather? Are you mad? have you ever been there?

I don't know if you have seen the summer temperatures.. HOT. Much worse though is the dry air. You get to put lotion on every couple hours.. nose bleeds, dry throat, everyone over 50 has nasty dried out leathery skin.

And these women that ditched Pittsburgh for Vegas? they are the women who always think they deserve better without working for it.. Always looking for a guy with more money, something more exciting, etc. not exactly solid relationship material.

Crime in Vegas is worse, lack of "Community" due to the transient population, things to do really depends on what you are interested in, but culture in Vegas has been replaced with corporate, most of the western pa outdoorsman sports are non-existent, etc.

I'm not normally a Pittsburgh cheerleader but living in Vegas full-time is my nightmare.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post

Anyway, I've been to Vegas 4 times for about a week at a time each and each time I love the amazingly hot weather. Not to mention there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I'll take that over 4+ months of slush, snow, ice storms, and gray skies but maybe that's just me.

Yes it's your preference and there are many others who share yours, but as for me I can't stand heat. It's the ONLY reason I could never live in the South. Just like many people could never live North b/c of the colder climate. I prefer the cooler temps even though the skies may be gray, it doesn't bother me.
Each Spring when I get sun exposure for the first time each year-I break out in hives from the sun and have to try to avoid full exposure to it and religious with the use of sun block.
During mid summer I walk my dog early a.m. hours only, or the rest of the time we walk the trails in the woods so we're covered by a canopy of trees.
Everybody is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh