Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 12:29 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times

Advertisements

Pittsburghers love to lay claim to public spaces and then flip their lids when they're called out on it. This has been going on as long as I've been around. Whenever I park on my parents street there are 3 houses I have to avoid. 2 people have confronted me for parking in "their" spot on the public street and a third left a note on my car and told me not to park there. All 3 of them have driveways. I have flipped sh*t on one of them in the past and told them it was a public street.

There is also a seedy tattoo parlor who made lewd comments to my wife while she was alone after she parked in front of their store on a public street. Buncha nutjobs in this town, I tell ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:33 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Since when do people have the "right" to park in the public street space in front of their homes above any and all others?

Old 10-15-2014, 12:54 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Duh, don't these people know that is what a parking chair is for...

Old 10-15-2014, 01:13 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Since when do people have the "right" to park in the public street space in front of their homes above any and all others?
Even worse, I think most of the people believe they are actually in the right & not just being a$$holes

Old 10-15-2014, 01:25 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Even worse, I think most of the people believe they are actually in the right & not just being a$$holes
Well I would rather people be oblivious to the actual law than just being a$$holes....

Old 10-15-2014, 02:00 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
That happens everywhere, 'burbs, small towns, you name it.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:09 PM

111 posts, read 114,772 times
My incredibly friendly elderly neighbor has, in the past, politely asked if she can park in the spot in front of my house. It's very nice of her, but so unnecessary. I wonder what the people who lived in my house before me used to say to her!

Old 10-15-2014, 06:57 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times
Quote:
Why is it the mayor's fault that blacks are gunning down other blacks seemingly daily over petty drug-related or petty gang-related issues? Do you want him to stand on Frankstown Avenue or Climax Street and say "YOU PEOPLE NEED TO WISE UP!"? Do you have any idea how racist, elitist, and "out-of-touch" the liberals in this city would proclaim him to be if he did that?

How are middle-class whites supposed to stop blacks from killing each other in this city, tyovan4, without coming off as condescending racists? I'm just curious as to what your answer is for that. Blacks need to fix Homewood, The Hill, Sheraden, Northview Heights, etc. The "white" solution would probably be to put up a Starbucks and a yoga studio and hope everything fixes itself.
Good or bad, what happens in the city is a reflection of the political leadership. He's quite the attention-hog when he can bolster his progressive credentials, but he is unusually quiet during potentially embarrassing controversies - and the media that kowtow to him never call him out.

The murder rate has been high on his watch. Rather than addressing it, rather than working on reforming the Police Bureau, rather than perhaps actually finding a permanent police chief less than 8 months into his term - he was tackling other priorities. Like bike lanes. Gallivanting around Europe and the West Coast for conferences. Now, it's not like he's spending time in Ljubljana trying to woo that Slovenian company to invest in Homewood. He's off getting attention and having fun, instead of doing work.
The murder rate is through the roof, he hadn't selected a police chief months and months into his term, Talent City ended up being a bad joke, but he's riding bikes around Copenhagen and Malmo with his buddy Fitz and dreaming up ways to waste $200 mln on on unnecessary bike lane. So yes, I do place part of the blame at his feet.

Don't be so smug towards others to state that the white solution would be to put up a Starbucks and yoga studio. How about broken-windows policing? How about increased intelligence and drug raids? Most of the murders seem to be drug/gang related. I walk through the public housing complex in Glen Hazel where the two guys were shot on Monday. Now I'm no cop, but when I've seen drug deals take place out of kitchen windows across the street from surveillance cameras and when I see Mercedes and Escalades parked in the projects - those are signs to me that some dealing is going down. Do some police intelligence work, and arrest them. Improve the witness protection program. Make people feel safe to testify and assist them with moving out of the hood that they're testifying against. And I don't know, instead of wasting probably $40,000 of taxpayers money on mandatory service dress caps for the Police, how about having had that money applied to rewards for informants to get some of these murders off the streets?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:05 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
That happens everywhere, 'burbs, small towns, you name it.
I'll occasionally find parking chairs in Philly.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:07 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Ticks. I hate ticks. Just pulled one out of my cat for the second time in less than a month. I also hate the PA liquor laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh