Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2014, 10:37 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburghpride83 View Post
I couldn't agree more.

No city is perfect, but for me the number 1 thing I dislike about pittsburgh is the job / wage growth that play the part in the limited economic opportunity that is available. Most of the issues people have with pittsburgh aside from the weather could be fixed with more people working and paying taxes. I see pittsburgh as a great city if you are in college or over 45. We have a lot of jobs in the 25 to 45k pay range. But the wage growth lacks beyond that. You can only squeeze so many tax dollars out of this pay range. Plus you are unable to attract and retain those in the 27 to 45 age range. Those are the prime earning years of your life. That age range starts a family, makes money and pays taxes a long time. And it all has to do with jobs/wage growth and economic opportunity.

If they can figure out a way to attract and retain this age group, the other gripes / problems would take care of themselves.
Holy 1999, Batman!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 10:46 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburghpride83 View Post
Plus you are unable to attract and retain those in the 27 to 45 age range. Those are the prime earning years of your life. That age range starts a family, makes money and pays taxes a long time. And it all has to do with jobs/wage growth and economic opportunity.
That's when you start your first family, but the second can come later. Unless you're a woman.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:27 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I was being sarcastic.

Copanut is threadcrapping in the quintessential definition of threadcrapping. People choose to live in a place for a reason - whatever that reason may be, they don't have to like everything about it. This thread is for airing those sides of PGH that are less than pleasant. I don't know how else to explain it in terms you and others who say "if you don't like it, don't live here" can understand.

WooHoo!!! I'm a threadcrapper!!!

Old 12-22-2014, 08:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
Well, it's in part because many of our streets are old and narrow and are single-lane and if you are a left-turner you can easily hold up everyone behind you for an entire green light. So a lot of the time it's either Pittsburgh left or have 10 angry people behind you honking.
Really, that's their problem. The Pittsburgh left is dangerous.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:38 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Really, that's their problem. The Pittsburgh left is dangerous.
Exactly. It's like those people who honk because they want you to turn right, but you are waiting for a pedestrian to cross. Car horns are for safety reasons, not to give feedback to drivers you don't find aggressive enough.
But I, too, hate the 'Pittsburgh left'.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:44 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
It's like those people who honk because they want you to turn right, but you are waiting for a pedestrian to cross.
That happens to me all the time as a pedestrian and a driver. If driving, flip the bird back at the following car. If walking, I yell loudly and profanely at the driver who honked.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:45 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Exactly. It's like those people who honk because they want you to turn right, but you are waiting for a pedestrian to cross. Car horns are for safety reasons, not to give feedback to drivers you don't find aggressive enough.
But I, too, hate the 'Pittsburgh left'.
haha! I would love to see if those horns can fit down some of their abusers' throats at times.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,678 times
So what do folks propose instead of the Pittsburgh Left, in an intersection where there is literally continuous traffic coming from the opposite direction and no left arrow? I'm thinking here of being on Carson, at the intersection with 18th, facing 17th. If you wait for an opening, you will literally be there for hours.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:58 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That happens to me all the time as a pedestrian and a driver. If driving, flip the bird back at the following car. If walking, I yell loudly and profanely at the driver who honked.
I wouldn't if I were you. I used to go out with a guy who responded in that way. One time the driver that he yelled at/flipped off/honked at followed us home, blocked us in the driveway and proceeded to get a crowbar out of his trunk. My boyfriend was confronting him when I got out of the car and the guy backed off. Not sure if he didn't want a witness; but he got an embarrassed look on his face and got back in his car and drove off. Another time, my boyfriend told me that he yelled at/flipped off/honked at the car in front of him in slow heavy traffic. The sunroof of the car opened up and a guy stood up and pointed a gun at him. Luckily, that's as far as it went. This was in downtown SF evening rush hour traffic, not in some isolated sketchy area. At that point I told my boyfriend that I would never ever ride with him again unless he stopped doing stuff like that. From then on, most of the time we went anywhere, I drove. This was back in the 80s. People are crazier now and better armed. Road rage is very real.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
So what do folks propose instead of the Pittsburgh Left, in an intersection where there is literally continuous traffic coming from the opposite direction and no left arrow? I'm thinking here of being on Carson, at the intersection with 18th, facing 17th. If you wait for an opening, you will literally be there for hours.
There's all but no alternative to going. If the oncoming drivers had some consideration and let a few people turn left at each light change, then people wouldn't be forced to make the "Pittsburgh Left". As Nike says, "just do it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh