Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:16 PM

315 posts, read 661,503 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Basically I've had a weird past month. On my 25th birthday and the day I got back from a two week vacation, I was informed my building had sold and I would not be able to renew my lease. Now, 2 weeks before I'm to move out, it is broken into and my most valuable possesions are taken. I was thinking about leaving the area to begin with and now I'm leaning towards it even more.

I'm a 25 year old professional that works downtown. I liked living in Bloomfield as it is now but my impressions of it before I lived there were a lot different. I figured that with the closeness to Shadyside/downtown and new hospital and great business district would mean that more younger professionals would live in the area, but it seems like mostly crust punks, grad students, and blue collar folks with a median age somewhere around 50. I like the edginess of it all, but do you think I would be better suited in somewhere like Shadyside, Squirrel Hill or S. Side where it seems more similar lifestyled people (female preferably) live, or would it just get annoying? I mean usually in the morning there's only a few people my age even riding the bus into downtown to go to work. Also is Sq. Hill more for families? S. Side seems overun with annoying qualities, as does Shadyside in it's different ways.

Sorry for the rambling post but I have to act fast.
Is it better to rent in Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Southside, and ponying up the extra few hundered bucks? Should I stick with Bloomfield?

Last edited by ajl777; 05-26-2009 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:20 PM

727 posts, read 1,884,303 times
Sorry about what happened to you. IMO I would try either Shadyside or even the Friendship area. Bloomfield isnt the best area IMO. Good Luck though.......

Old 05-26-2009, 03:34 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,034,456 times
I'd stick with Bloomfield. There's crime all over the place. Shadyside has its fair share of crime, too (robberies, rapes). So does Squirrel Hill and so does the South Side with all the partying and drinking that goes on over there most nights. I work at a University and we're always receiving alerts about how students have been robbed or assaulted in either Squirrel Hill or Shadyside. Unfortunately, you were just a victim of a crime, but you shouldn't let that alter your view of an entire neighborhood. There are some decent streets in Bloomfield. I used to visit someone frequently on a quiet street, (Pierce or Pearce Street) and there was a bar on the corner, but you would never even know. Or you can move into the next neighborhood, over, which is Friendship, but you'll probably be paying more.

Last edited by Little Mizz Pittsburgh; 05-26-2009 at 03:51 PM..

Old 05-26-2009, 03:47 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,431,923 times
Try the South Hills, somewhere along the T. If you work 9-5 downtown it's a great place to commute from via public transportation. My 2 cents.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:46 PM

807 posts, read 610,896 times
You might find the South Hills a little sleepy if you like the edginess of Bloomfield.

Also, what do people make of the "WeDoProperty" company's decision (see wedoproperty.com) to remodel two homes in Bloomfield (one on Garnet Way and one on Pearl)? The homes were updated in a very contemporary style, seemingly targeted at professionals. Obviously these two homes alone do not make a revitalization -- but presumably this company must see some potential in Bloomfield for up-market dwellings.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,857,468 times
I think that your impression that Bloomfield isn't really the most popular neighborhood with young professionals is correct (although who knows down the road, with the new Children's and such). Of course only you can decide if that is a plus or a minus.

Generally, "edgy" and young professionals don't really come together too much in Pittburgh, because young professionals can usually afford to leap right into the most desirable neighborhoods if they so choose. Offhand, the closest you might get to such a mix would be somewhere in the South Side, maybe the South Side Slopes. As another person mentioned, you could also think about Friendship, and maybe also Park Place (Park Place is over near where I live, Regent Square--Regent Square itself is popular with young professionals, but I wouldn't call it edgy at all). Or you could just follow the herd of young professionals to Shadyside or Squirrel Hill (or Regent Square)--the fact is that they are popular neighborhoods with young professionals for good reasons, even if they aren't particularly edgy.

By the way, parts of Squirrel Hill are in fact more family-oriented, but it is a big neighborhood by Pittsburgh standards, and the areas right around the commercial district (along Forbes and Murray) tend to have more students and young professionals.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
I think you'd find Squirrel Hill to be too family-oriented.

You have been living right next to Shadyside all this time. You'd know if you wanted to live there or not. You wouldn't be posting this thread. Shadyside does have annoying qualities. In my opinion, it's no longer hip since the chain stores moved into the area. There might be more younger people, but there's also a large number of wealthy, bored housewives with attitudes who whine about thier hard life even though they have full time nannies and housekeepers.

I think you'd be happier in South Side.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:47 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,981,503 times
I live in Shadyside, on Morewood Ave. (not too far from Bloomfield). It is not edgy or young in the slightest. It's mostly quiet rich people and the bums who cross over from The Hill / North Oakland / East Liberty. Personally, I prefer the European-like density of neighborhoods like Lawrenceville and South Side Flats, and I see tons of young people in those areas. There's nothing like it in Shadyside. Many of the grand old homes have seen better days as well -- now chopped up into apartments and quite shabby/ poorly maintained. The main difference between Shadyside and the rest of the city is that it is quieter, and the homes have bigger yards. If you want a hybrid between suburbia and urban-living, Shadyside is your place. I never in a million years imagined Shadyside to be this dull.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:55 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,909,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think you'd find Squirrel Hill to be too family-oriented.

You have been living right next to Shadyside all this time. You'd know if you wanted to live there or not. You wouldn't be posting this thread. Shadyside does have annoying qualities. In my opinion, it's no longer hip since the chain stores moved into the area. There might be more younger people, but there's also a large number of wealthy, bored housewives with attitudes who whine about thier hard life even though they have full time nannies and housekeepers.

I think you'd be happier in South Side.
I don't think S. Hill is too family oriented. I am in my 20s, single, and live in the central part, and it is not family oriented there. Central Squirrel Hill is the size as many Pittsburgh neighborhoods. There are parts North Squirrel HIll that are just families, but south S. Hill is a great mix, and very lively. I live on a street lined with old 1920 3 story apartment buildings. Pretty much all of Hobart, Hempstead, Phillips are lined with these. They all consist of students, young professionals, and even a few families. S. Hill is one of the more mixed neighborhoods in Pittsburgh.

Anyways, I love Bloomfield. It is more alive and has a better nightlife. I would live there for a while.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:19 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,857,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I don't think S. Hill is too family oriented. I am in my 20s, single, and live in the central part, and it is not family oriented there. Central Squirrel Hill is the size as many Pittsburgh neighborhoods. There are parts North Squirrel HIll that are just families, but south S. Hill is a great mix, and very lively. I live on a street lined with old 1920 3 story apartment buildings. Pretty much all of Hobart, Hempstead, Phillips are lined with these. They all consist of students, young professionals, and even a few families. S. Hill is one of the more mixed neighborhoods in Pittsburgh.
I just wanted to second all of this. As I noted above, Squirrel Hill is huge by Pittsburgh standards (indeed, officially it is two different neighorhoods, North and South, both of which count as very large neighborhoods in Pittsburgh), and the parts of Squirrel Hill Awesomo is describing are the same parts I was thinking of when I referenced the places near the commericial district along Forbes and Murray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh