Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 10:46 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,353 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Was reading the San Jose Mercury News today and in the 'It Happened Today' blurb... they had Harvey Haddix's 12 perfect innings against the very strong Milwaukee Braves only to lose in the 13th on an error, sacrifice and a double by Joe Adcock... Adcock seemed to have the Pirates number and always did well against them.
Harvey Haddix Perfect Game Box Score by Baseball Almanac

Brought back great memories of growing up in Pittsburgh and following the Pirates. Still remember listening to that game on the radio (KDKA) in my Dad's car as we were driving back from Chicago. What a disappointment when they lost. Met Haddix at our local barber shop. When he was there, he was willing to give autographs. Seemed like a good guy.

Anyway, not living in Pittsburgh anymore... but was wondering if anyone there still talks about this game?

And even though they've had their troubles over the last few (16) years... Beat 'em Bucs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,229,034 times
Pirate fans who have followed the team for a long time know about this game. It is mentioned often. It has been fifty years. Harvey Haddix was the Pirates pitching coach in the 1970s. I used to hear them mention it all of the time as a kid listening to Pirate games in the 1970s. I see that Clemente did not play in that game. Ramon Mejias was in right field.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Pirate fans who have followed the team for a long time know about this game. It is mentioned often. It has been fifty years. Harvey Haddix was the Pirates pitching coach in the 1970s. I used to hear them mention it all of the time as a kid listening to Pirate games in the 1970s. I see that Clemente did not play in that game. Ramon Mejias was in right field.
I was still living in Pittsburgh in the 70s... I should've remembered Haddix being the pitching coach! Thanks for bringing it up.

The Pirates were a great team in the 70s... too bad the Reds were on their hot streak at the same time. But... championships in 71 and 79! Not bad.... not bad at all. It was a fun rivalry at the time. I guess the Reds are kind of on hard times also.

I live in San Jose now but still follow the Pirates on cable and the papers. I hope they are turning things around now. Some of my old friends who also had to leave Pittsburgh but still follow the Pirates tell me that the executive management of the team has been horrible the last several years. I suppose the record shows that. From what they've told me, the scouting staff was in a shambles... especially for Latin America. That's unforgivable.

But, like I said, hopefully things are turning around. They haven't looked too bad from what I've seen... except for playing the Brewers. I'd really like to see the folks in Pittsburgh get excited about the team again.

As always... Beat 'em Bucs!

I tried to paste a link to Benny Benack's version of the song... not sure if it will work...
http://www.networksandwebapplication...ed/bembucs.ram

Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 PM

58 posts, read 247,361 times
This made the front page of the Gazette on Sunday, May 24.

In 1959 Harvey Haddix pitched perhaps the best game ever -- and lost

On the left hand side of the article, you can access other related articles and media.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynjmapa View Post
This made the front page of the Gazette on Sunday, May 24.

In 1959 Harvey Haddix pitched perhaps the best game ever -- and lost

On the left hand side of the article, you can access other related articles and media.
Thanks for the pointer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh