Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 05:11 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sure, and when the G-20 web site says so, I'll believe it.
Maybe they're just as good at running a website as they are at running the world economy?

Quote:
I doubt it because downtown would be a logistical nightmare to host the heads of state of the world's 20th largest economies in terms of security. I wouldn't even attempt it.
It's probably a nightmare in any city that hosts it.

Now, whether Pittsburgh's administration is up to the task of dealing with that nightmare is a different question. Somebody above mentioned that it won't even rival a Steelers victory celebration, and in terms of sheer numbers, it may not, but it's a totally different set of concerns. I'll bet that there will be quite a lot of federal involvement, and I wouldn't be surprised to see PA State Police drawn in from all over the sate as well. I'd be fascinated to be able to watch the process as it unfolds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 08:15 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
JoeLeaphorn....this is taken from the Post-Gazette. It is a full blown summit, although it wasn't originally scheduled to be:

"The summit will be a meeting of leaders of those countries, White House officials said. It will not be just deputies, who typically meet in advance of a summit meeting, and who had initially been scheduled for a G-20 assembly in September. The leaders decided in April that it would be useful for them to meet then as well for an update.""

City to host global leaders for G-20 summit in September

Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronClark View Post
JoeLeaphorn....this is taken from the Post-Gazette. It is a full blown summit, although it wasn't originally scheduled to be:

"The summit will be a meeting of leaders of those countries, White House officials said. It will not be just deputies, who typically meet in advance of a summit meeting, and who had initially been scheduled for a G-20 assembly in September. The leaders decided in April that it would be useful for them to meet then as well for an update.""

City to host global leaders for G-20 summit in September
That's what I read too, the day after they announced it. At the last summit, they resolved to have two a year. The next one is in Pittsburgh. Or so they say.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:52 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
The mayor said federal security will cost us but that they will be "pitching in." In the same news segment they said that the city should realize about $8 million because of it.

I was skeptical about world leaders coming here until seeing Aaron's post and link to the P-G article.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:29 PM

120 posts, read 302,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLeaphorn View Post
Who mentioned November? But you are incorrect. The November 2008 meeting was the G-20 at the invitation of George W. Bush.

The G-20 is hosted by the UK in 2009. The hosting country determines when/where the summit is held, not the US. There is no mention on ANY official G-20 site of a SUMMIT in Pittsburgh.

Also, there were other G20 Deputies meetings in 2009 (in March) which were not called Summits. Only ONE was called a Summit and that was in April in London. There are no other official Summits scheduled in 2009. Perhaps they have decided to change the Deputies meetings to a Summit but if so, the official G-20 web site says nothing about it.

Don't show me the BBC. Show me an official G-20 web site which says that Pittsburgh is hosting a Summit (meaning the heads of state will be here, not simply finance ministers).

Until you can, I won't believe it.
Well, I do agree, however, it would be nice if "a" summit were actually held here.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:54 AM

371 posts, read 798,423 times
The G-20 Research Center (which is not an official G-20 site) has the following document (dated May 8):

http://www.g20.utoronto.ca/g20plans/...ders090508.pdf

which states that third G-20 Summit was to be held in the US, possibly New York, in September 2009. A separate Deputies Meeting was scheduled for September 2009. The Obama announcement appears to be stating that the two meetings will take place as a single (heads of state and Finance Ministers) Summit, in Pittsburgh.

There is still no official word of this on the G-20 site which is currently located in the UK and has not been updated since April.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:11 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta2 View Post
Well, I do agree, however, it would be nice if "a" summit were actually held here.
There is a G20 Summit being held in Pittsburgh on Sept. 25th and 26th 2009, with the leaders of the 20 largest economies expected. Also, the Earth is round.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:27 AM

120 posts, read 302,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
There is a G20 Summit being held in Pittsburgh on Sept. 25th and 26th 2009, with the leaders of the 20 largest economies expected. Also, the Earth is round.
No need to insult me. I was merely making a comment based on what appeared to be a post from someone who seemed to have more knowledge about the summit than myself. Again, I would LOVE to have a summit here - of any kind.

PS- I had no idea the earth was round! How marvelous!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:51 AM

371 posts, read 798,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
It is G-20 (with a dash). The G20 without a dash is the Group of Twenty developing nations.

It is not the worlds' 20st largest economies, rather, it is a combination of the G-7 (or G7) member countries with some of the worlds largest economies as well as other important markets and emerging economies, and the EU. All members rank within the top 31 economies in terms of GDP, though there are some members whose GDPs are below member states, in part because they are included as part of the European Union.

For example, the following are members whose GDP is less than that of the 19th largest economy (Taiwan, which is NOT a member):

Argentina (23)
Saudi Arabia (22)
South Africa (25)

The following are not members, though they are in the top 20 in terms of GDP:

Spain (12)
Iran (17)
Poland (20 or 21)
Netherlands (19 or 20)

As it has no charter, there exist no formal rules of membership. Although meetings may be open, deliberations are private and while the G-20 issues public reports, these are more about principles than actual decisions.

For this reason, many oppose the G-20 as being a self-selecting private club and some argue that US participation may be unconstitutional as the Constitution gives Congress the power to ratify treaties.

As for economic benefit, I'd rather have a Superbowl here (never happen) or a World Series (unlikely). The Washington Summit brought about 100 protestors. Even with the entourage, I'm not convinced that the projected revenue will offset the cost of law enforcement, traffic restrictions, etc.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:21 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
My understanding of the backstory is that at the closing of the April meeting, they agreed it would be a good idea to meet again in the fall, and Obama volunteered to host the event around the same time as a U.N. General Assembly meeting, since many world leaders would be in the U.S. anyway for that event. The public assumption given that backstory was that the meeting would be in New York, but Obama instead secretly arranged for the meeting in Pittsburgh.

As a final word on what I consider to be a tangential subject, I have frequently noted it often takes quite a while for various firms and organizations to update their websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh