Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:35 AM

508 posts, read 1,021,666 times

Advertisements

Hello all...

How about Perry Hilltop? good or bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 05:03 AM

119 posts, read 460,010 times
While the terms 'good' and 'bad' mean different things to different people, there definitely are still swaths of Perry Hilltop where drugs and violent crime persist. At the same time, there's some newer development with great views of the city. With the Lower North Side neighborhoods closer to downtown becoming more affluent and professional, and the city continuing to phase out residents from the Northview Heights and Allegheny Dwellings housing projects, the Hilltop and Charles St. Valley will likely persist as lower income neighborhoods, with higher incidents of crime. There's still some well-kept, quiet streets in Perry Hilltop, but its very much block to block. This coming from a North Side booster...

Old 06-09-2009, 07:33 AM

76 posts, read 273,933 times
As vtPGH said above, Perry Hilltop is a block-by-block good and bad area.
I've lived here for over twenty years. Never any serious problems, as in break-ins or property theft of any kind. Most of my neighbors are great, we watch each others properties and take care of our own. We all help out the elderly neighbors.
The City, the URA and the U. S. Attorney's office are our biggest problems, since they control the biggest slice of blighted properties, and ignore our protests of them being absentee landlords.
In the last few years I've sunk a lot of money improving my 90 year old house. I wouldn't have done that if I didn't believe that this neighborhood can be saved.
I love it right here, but three or four blocks away, I'm not so sure.
One main point about owning property up here: it sure is cheap.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:00 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,699,549 times
Oddly enough......

3 People Injured After Perry South Shooting, Crash - News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh

Old 06-10-2009, 08:08 PM

522 posts, read 1,793,637 times
Haha...I was waiting for that news story to be linked in this thread after hearing it on the news today.

If I've said it once on these boards, I've said it 100 times. If you're comparing block by block, the area is BAD. Violent crime can and does happen anywhere. I am sure we can find where murders have taken place in Fox Chapel and no crime at all has been reported in a 4 block span in Homewood. Having said that, if routine drug, gang, and otherwise negative influences persist only blocks away, it scars the general surrounding area. I would indeed call Perry Hilltop "bad" if "bad" and "good" are my only choices. It is way too iffy to discern the lines. I've often said that if your "nice" area is right next to a "bad" area, your "nice" area isn't so nice. And with housing prices being as reasonable as they are around here, there is no reason to look into such "dicey" areas when you can find more suitable, safer housing at the same price elsewhere...why wonder? Just move to the nice area, all things being equal.

I know I am in the minority on this viewpoint. Perhaps it has something to do with being a transplant and not being born and raised in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is very unique in its citizens' "block by block" reasoning...I've never seen anything like it. Other cities in which I've lived have areas to avoid and areas you don't have to. Pittsburghers deliniate it by block, and often by house...as if crime is stationary and doesn't have feet or cars. Very interesting.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:21 PM

176 posts, read 766,980 times
Well Captainobvious, you must have never lived in an Urban Enviroment before....Neighborhoods get built up and destroyed a block at a time in every major city in the US...And not nearly as quick, these same neighborhoods are rebuilding themselves a block or EVEN A SINGLE HOUSE at a time..

PerryHilltop needs smaller investors and homeowners to pick up the slack...Because no major dollars are coming into that neighborhood anytime soon...All the Northside funds are hitting the War Streets, Manchester & Brighton Heights...

Perry Hilltop has ALOT of vacant properties..And my opinion is that area can change very quickly if good people continue to buy these mini mansions on Perrysville Ave....I just viewed a property on Perrysville Ave, owned by the city and 2 doors up from the home of Old Pittsburgh Mayor Tom Murphy...Stay in the 2300 block or lower of Perrysville Ave and IMO, your investment will pay off oneday...

Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,396,319 times
For a non-local who knows the city only by the maps I've seen online, can anyone tell me where exactly Perry Hilltop is in relation to Observatory Hill, or the Mexican War Streets, or Manchester, or Fineview? Is Perry Hilltop in Perry North or Perry South or somewhere else entirely?

As for this reference of staying below the 2300 block of Perrysville Avenue, doesn't that then put Observatory Hill in the area to avoid category? That doesn't seem quite right. But again, I'm not a local, only a map viewer.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,159 times
I bought a pad in Perry Hill Top 2 years ago. I have the best view of the city bar none. I have a greenway below me so I see deer and turkey everyday. My street is quiet and thus far I love the place. This coming from a guy that moved from Sewickley. True some of the streets in back and below are still in limbo as vacancy and some crime go. That's urban living for you.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:36 AM

119 posts, read 460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
For a non-local who knows the city only by the maps I've seen online, can anyone tell me where exactly Perry Hilltop is in relation to Observatory Hill, or the Mexican War Streets, or Manchester, or Fineview? Is Perry Hilltop in Perry North or Perry South or somewhere else entirely?
Yes, Perry Hilltop is in what the city calls Perry South...
The official city names for neighborhoods are often different than what residents call their neighborhood. And within neighborhoods, there's often seperate sections...

For instance

Perry South includes...
1. Charles St. Valley (Charles St. and adjoining alleys that wind from Brighton Rd. up to Perrysville Ave.)
2. Perry Hilltop (Areas in and around Perrysville Ave from the lower Y with Federal St. up to around the Marshall Ave. intersection)

On the North Side, Observatory Hill is essentially Perry North, Brightwood is essentially Marshall-Shadeland, the Mexican War Streets are a large chunk of Central Northside, and Deustchtown is more or less East Allegheny. It's definitely confusing.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:58 PM

522 posts, read 1,793,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I bought a pad in Perry Hill Top 2 years ago. I have the best view of the city bar none. I have a greenway below me so I see deer and turkey everyday. My street is quiet and thus far I love the place. This coming from a guy that moved from Sewickley. True some of the streets in back and below are still in limbo as vacancy and some crime go. That's urban living for you.
Truer words were never spoken. Almost all photos you ever see of the city are from the overlook near Elliot or Mount Washington, but I've long said the best view of the city is from the north if you can get up high enough. The view from Allegheny General's roof is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh