Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:20 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,480,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It's understandable on their behalf, but again, ultimately it's the city that will lose out on another young family moving in.
You mean you don't even live in the city yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 11:30 AM

357 posts, read 885,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVYinzer View Post
I checked every school in the city. Public, charter, magnet, etc. I talked to principals, teachers and directors. I was praying for one of them to tell me something that would make me think the school was acceptable. Unfortunately, AS MUCH AS I WISH THIS WASN'T THE CASE, there is not an acceptable school within city limits.
It would be amusing if you would actually post your definition of "acceptable school" ... how long did it take you to check every school in the city anyway? Wow.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
I think she's going to find that all schools are terrible---even the best schools in the best school districts. Since she has four children, the odds are that at least one will have problems in school. She'll find out quickly that the schools won't give a damn. The most stressful part of my life was dealing with schools. It's the worst part of parenting.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:20 PM

84 posts, read 258,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp View Post
It would be amusing if you would actually post your definition of "acceptable school" ... how long did it take you to check every school in the city anyway? Wow.
By checking, I did research on all of them. I spoke with the director of Pgh Public Schools and was given a list of schools that would best fit my situation in the area's I was looking into moving.

Let me guess...you think all schools are good and acceptable. All areas of the city are perfectly safe to live in....blah blah blah. You are probably also the type that thinks owning a pitbull is ok in a family with small children. Do you even have kids? If you did, than you would know what acceptable was.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:38 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,376,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Just owning property isn't good enought. It has to truly be your primary residence. You will get caught.

It's really not fair to your children to do something like this. Your children have a right to make friends at their school. They won't ever be able to have their school friends over to your house.

It's common for parents to try to keep their children in a school district, by not informing the school when they move out of the district. Everyone I know who has done this has been caught rather quickly.

It really puts your children in a terrible situation. They won't have an opportunity to say goodbye to friends. One day, you're notified that your children are no longer permitted to come to school. The children get no closure. It's really sad, and a parent shouldn't put a child into this situation.

You really should move to the school district you want your children to attend.
Spoken like someone that was never faced with that problem. I have all 3 of my boys in 'other' schools. My good friend Dan didn't do this and his 6th grader had a box cutter pulled on him by some diversity 3rd and 4th graders for his lunch. (This can be verified). Five students were expelled permanently from the entire school district. Of course you would never allow yourself to be in a situation like that but for fun lets consider just that. If you wouldn't do whatever it took to keep your kids safe and out of an environment where they are too busy being afraid to get an education then you are a lousy father. That kind of thing is what a father does. Whether you fake an address or home school whatever it takes.
Your reasoning as to why it's really better to have your children stay in a dangerous situation is very weak. Easy for you to inflict that on someone else's kids isn't it. As far as being caught, Ive been doing this for 9 years
and with 3 children at 5 different schools. Not a problem yet. And by the way how was it that everyone you knew that did this got caught?
A coincedience?

Old 06-17-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Spoken like someone that was never faced with that problem. I have all 3 of my boys in 'other' schools. My good friend Dan didn't do this and his 6th grader had a box cutter pulled on him by some diversity 3rd and 4th graders for his lunch. (This can be verified). Five students were expelled permanently from the entire school district. Of course you would never allow yourself to be in a situation like that but for fun lets consider just that. If you wouldn't do whatever it took to keep your kids safe and out of an environment where they are too busy being afraid to get an education then you are a lousy father. That kind of thing is what a father does. Whether you fake an address or home school whatever it takes.
Your reasoning as to why it's really better to have your children stay in a dangerous situation is very weak. Easy for you to inflict that on someone else's kids isn't it. As far as being caught, Ive been doing this for 9 years
and with 3 children at 5 different schools. Not a problem yet. And by the way how was it that everyone you knew that did this got caught?
A coincedience?
Get a grip. I never said anyone should keep their children in dangerous situations.

You should move---buy a house where you want your children to attend school.

You're not making a sacrifice to protect your children. You're being financially selfish.

I also think you should be fair in admitting that you don't even live in Pennsylvania.

You don't want the OP to think it's a safe thing to do when you have no idea how things are done here.

Last edited by Hopes; 06-17-2009 at 02:06 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVYinzer View Post
By checking, I did research on all of them. I spoke with the director of Pgh Public Schools and was given a list of schools that would best fit my situation in the area's I was looking into moving.

Let me guess...you think all schools are good and acceptable. All areas of the city are perfectly safe to live in....blah blah blah. You are probably also the type that thinks owning a pitbull is ok in a family with small children. Do you even have kids? If you did, than you would know what acceptable was.
You only did an internet search? Geez. That's pretty limited to test scores, racial population and household income information.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:36 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,864,150 times
Just a small point, but pit bull terriers, if raised correctly, are actually above-average family dogs. Of course there is some small risk associated with all dogs (indeed, all pets, or just about anything in life worth doing).

Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You only did an internet search? Geez. That's pretty limited to test scores, racial population and household income information.
Did you not read? I talked to the Director then talked to the applicable Principals and some teachers.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Just a small point, but pit bull terriers, if raised correctly, are actually above-average family dogs. Of course there is some small risk associated with all dogs (indeed, all pets, or just about anything in life worth doing).
I hope you are being sarcastic. If not, I don't even know how to answer this...Anyone who would bring a pitbull into a home with young children either has to insane or completely oblivious!

Anything you say from this point on cannot even be taken seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh