U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:01 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,465,406 times
While I don't know all of the towns you've mentioned on the list, the towns of Cranberry, Mars and Zelienople are nice, suburban areas, with the latter two seemingly feeling more wooded than Cranberry, but they all still have that upper class suburban feel. Cranberry to the airport is only about a 30 minute drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 01:51 PM

27 posts, read 47,791 times
I was not actually recommending Cranberry Township. In fact I consider it a characterless, soulless wasteland. I feel that way about most suburban developments. The shinier and grander they are, the worse they get. Really. Communities based solely on the automobile are not genuine communities in my very carefully considered opinion. The Pittsburgh area has long been noted for its friendliness and rich community interaction, but that does not carry over very well into the bland suburbs that surround it.

For an interesting town, how about Sewickley? Close to the airport, a real town, but yes, in Allegheny County.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:08 AM

782 posts, read 451,367 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosefolly View Post
I was not actually recommending Cranberry Township. In fact I consider it a characterless, soulless wasteland. I feel that way about most suburban developments. The shinier and grander they are, the worse they get. Really. Communities based solely on the automobile are not genuine communities in my very carefully considered opinion. The Pittsburgh area has long been noted for its friendliness and rich community interaction, but that does not carry over very well into the bland suburbs that surround it.

For an interesting town, how about Sewickley? Close to the airport, a real town, but yes, in Allegheny County.
Well, your opinion sucks... eh...

Old 04-26-2011, 10:48 AM

96 posts, read 82,012 times
Zelienople a suburb? It is one of the coolest towns in SWPA.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:03 AM

1,467 posts, read 855,839 times
I'll second the "Cranberry is a wasteland" opinion . . .

Old 04-26-2011, 11:04 AM

960 posts, read 960,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosefolly View Post

Suburbs are not based solely on the automobile. They are often based on other things such as larger home size, larger lot size, greater distance between homes, better schools, etc... People seem to rail against suburbs all the time here on this forum but don't seem to stop and look at the benefits. Yes, while not for everyone, there ARE benefits of living in the suburbs. And I am a city dweller!

That being said, I like the areas east of Cranberry more than I like Cranberry itself. In particular, I like the Mars/Valencia/Bakerstown areas. A little further from the interstate but still only 5-10 mins from 79.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:50 AM

9,879 posts, read 9,223,823 times
The thread was over a year dead. I think Rosefolly misread the date.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:15 AM

924 posts, read 720,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I'll second the "Cranberry is a wasteland" opinion . . .
Moved to Cranberry from Allegheny county 6 years ago. best thing I ever did. Don't make disparaging comments about the place when obviously all you've done is drive up & down Rt 19 or 228.

My neighborhood in Cranberry is rural. Woods, peace & quiet, very pretty. Yet I have great access to everything I need in terms of groceries, shopping for my home, auto repairs, etc. You name it, I've got it here in Cranberry. I'm 1.5 miles from I-79 on ramps, just a few more to the turnpike, 30 mins from the airport, yet when I look out my windows, I see woods & wildlife.

Funny how people who don't live here and don't know what it's like to live here are so quick to cast aspersions. Cranberry is a great place to live. If all you see is the shopping sprawl, you might think otherwise. You'd be hard pressed to find people who live in Cranberry that don't absolutely love it & find it to be a great place to live.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 AM

1,467 posts, read 855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Moved to Cranberry from Allegheny county 6 years ago. best thing I ever did. Don't make disparaging comments about the place when obviously all you've done is drive up & down Rt 19 or 228.

My neighborhood in Cranberry is rural. Woods, peace & quiet, very pretty. Yet I have great access to everything I need in terms of groceries, shopping for my home, auto repairs, etc. You name it, I've got it here in Cranberry. I'm 1.5 miles from I-79 on ramps, just a few more to the turnpike, 30 mins from the airport, yet when I look out my windows, I see woods & wildlife.

Funny how people who don't live here and don't know what it's like to live here are so quick to cast aspersions. Cranberry is a great place to live. If all you see is the shopping sprawl, you might think otherwise. You'd be hard pressed to find people who live in Cranberry that don't absolutely love it & find it to be a great place to live.

I work on Woodland Road.

I'm sure it'd be great for some people. Just not me. I've looked around at places to live there if I'd decide to move. I'd rather have a decent walkable downtown area, and that's not Cranberry.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 AM

96 posts, read 82,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I work on Woodland Road.

I'm sure it'd be great for some people. Just not me. I've looked around at places to live there if I'd decide to move. I'd rather have a decent walkable downtown area, and that's not Cranberry.
Again, there are many great walkable towns surrounding Cranberry with strong and safe communities. All within a 5-10 min drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh