Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:00 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Pittsburgh doesn't really have a thriving young singles scene, IMHO. Or at least not the kind you'd find in a bigger city. For the most part, people come here, get their degree and move on.
Gotta disagree plenty of people stick around and even more want to stay but finding a job is prettty tough here compared with the big cities so some people are forced to move on. I also feel that the people that stay do so because they can buy a house and raise a family, which doesn't help out the young single scene.

Shadyside is great place to live if you are young with some money. However, it isn't a huge neighborhood like some neighborhoods in the big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 12:08 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Look at:

South Side Flats
Lawrenceville (Butler Street)
Shadyside (East of Aiken)
Bloomfield (Liberty Ave)
The Strip (Below 28th)

Maybe
Mt. Washington
Oakland
I'd also add Downtown, Squirrel Hill in or near the commercial area (particularly along Murray), the Penn Avenue Arts Corridor (on the Friendship/Garfield border), and even my neighborhood, Regent Square (again the nearer the commercial area along Braddock the better).

Old 06-19-2009, 12:38 PM

295 posts, read 667,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Gotta disagree plenty of people stick around and even more want to stay but finding a job is prettty tough here compared with the big cities so some people are forced to move on. I also feel that the people that stay do so because they can buy a house and raise a family, which doesn't help out the young single scene.

Shadyside is great place to live if you are young with some money. However, it isn't a huge neighborhood like some neighborhoods in the big cities.
I can't argue with the experiences that you have had. But in my circles, the general goal is to move one. And that includes people that have grown up here. Young people that I know see Pittsburgh as a stepping stone to something else.

It's a GREAT place to raise a family. I don't have a statistic or anything but it seems that we have an older population that other places.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:17 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
And my experience differs from yours!

I personally know 25+ kids from "other than Allegheny County" who graduated from Duquesne, Pitt, CMU and Robert Morris in 2008 and 2009 who STAYED in the Pittsburgh area.

They all got jobs in Pittsburgh upon graduation, and they all wanted to stay in the city they grew to love.

Three more moved away upon graduation, and they are actively job-hunting to get back to Pittsburgh.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:37 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Although this is purely anecdotal, these days it seems to me like graduates from local universities who grew up here are more likely than graduates who came from other places originally to want to leave the region. In part I think of it as a "grass is greener" effect, in that I often think people from Pittsburgh are unaware of how relatively attractive it is, particularly for educated professionals. On the other hand, I would never discourage young people from seeing as much of the world for themselves as they desired before settling down somewhere (indeed, that would make me quite the hypocrite).

Old 06-19-2009, 01:46 PM

366 posts, read 944,349 times
Comment on the SS Flats may be true for west of 17th but the east/southeast section of the Flats are perfect for late 20s / early 30s. Just the right amount of chaos in my opinion...

Old 06-19-2009, 01:54 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
It sounds as if this "party" was in a perfect neighborhood but it could have been almost anywhere. It would be a fluke if someone identified it by that description.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess.

I once lived on a Street where everyone got along quite well and it was in the city on Mt Washington. Unique due to the location along Sycamore St where it used to hit the bottom (tunnel portal) there were only a four buildings (seven residents) and no one else even remotely close by. The houses were all painted smurf blue - we called it the smurf village. We all had decks over looking the city; life was good..

Finding the perfect neighborhood on your first try is asking an awful lot. Good Luck....

Old 06-19-2009, 03:28 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
I'm sorry but all this, "BIGGER CITIES ARE SO MUCH BETTER" is just not True, and only people from Pittsburgh that have NEVER left Pittsburgh would think this.......

- Very Few BIG Cities have the Unique and Lively Neighborhood Settings of Pittsburgh, most "BIG" cities once you leave their dowtowns are mostly strip malls and residental...I really didnt find this out until I left Pittsburgh....These places you have to go Downtown to do any and everything, I'm proud Pittsburgh is not as such.

- Art/Culture/Nightlife believe it or not there are cities that pale in comparision.

- After living outside of Pittsburgh now for 9 years, and seeing the Awe-inspiring change that it has made from my recent visits, if my job was to move to Pittsburgh, I would Leave NY in a minute and I love NY, and there are plenty of people in my same boat.

GOD when is Pittsburgh (more-so the suburban self-loathers) going to STOP with this "EVERYWHERE BUT PITTSBURGH is Better" NO IT's NOT, Take it from someone who knows first hand, bigger is not always better.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:39 PM

315 posts, read 665,295 times
someone find me how many people that live in city limits are in there 20's with a college education that aren't only here to attend grad/law/med school

probably like one of the lowest in the nation

i like pittsburgh and i think there's a decent amount of stuff to do here but it doesn't change the fact that the city doesn't offer a lot for its young people

Old 06-19-2009, 06:37 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
this may be random but is it me or are there a lot of relocation threds in pittsburgh in the past month or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh