U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:45 AM

315 posts, read 401,750 times
and where did you live blackbeauty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,198,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl777 View Post
i lived in prague and it's a lot better city than pittsburgh but most european cities are better than american cities so that's not really fair
I've been to Prague a couple times, and loved it. At the time the incredibly good beer was supercheap (a little more expensive the second time, but still a bargain), and the architecture is amazing. The only problem was that the food was often quite bad.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:18 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,359,736 times
Quote:
does not exist

The South Side not fun for young people? The South Side has as long a stretch of bars as I have seen anywhere. Most twenty-somethings are looking to get drunk and possibly hook up. That is their idea of fun. Even for those who do not have to drink to have fun, there are coffee houses, record stores. art galleries, countless dining and shopping options and so on. I am sorry there is no beach like South Beach and no warm weather in winter. Oh well. If I am a twenty-something, I would be pretty impressed with the South Side even If I were from NYC. Maybe a few more music venues down there would do. It is getting better, slowly but surely. Let's not be too picky.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:09 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,590,616 times
Quote:
and where did you live blackbeauty
Wow you lived in Prague - That's impressive, seeing as i've never live out side the US...But really you can't compare when the 2 cities are in different countries.

I've lived in

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
DC
and Now New York

I have visited extensively either for work or leisure:

Chicago
SF
LA
Cleveland
Baltimore
Boston
Miami
Minneapolis

Outside the US: (But again not comparing)
London
Sydney

and One thing these cities all have in common comparing to Pittsburgh is they all have at least 1 downfall where Pittsburgh excels....IMO DC and Chicago does the best against Pittsburgh where they still fail against Pittsburgh is Cost of Living.

Before leaving Pittsburgh in 1998 - I had the same mentality as most of the "The Pittsburgh Sucks" Crowd and being that I was a native fresh out of college hooked on shows like "Real World" and "Sex and the City" that made other cities look so much cool and hip then "Pittsburgh" made me want to leave Pittsburgh all the more....

Now because of my career I was able move away and travel the country to what these other cities were made of...Now being a true city girl I wanted to see what these cities really were made of outside of their CBD's alot of people judge a whole city based on its CBD.

Being from Pittsburgh (a city that lives outside its CBD) I can tell you alot of the cities that i've listed have nothing going on outside their CBDs, some more then others living in Philadelphia for 3 years and still visiting it to this day (since its so close to NY), yes Center City is AMAZING! Downtown Pittsburgh Pales in comparison...But you leave the greater Center City area and Philadelphia become another story and Quick, there are no Shadysides, Sq Hills, South Sides, Oaklands, Regent Sqs, L'villes in Philadelphia outside of Center City. Same for Miami, Cleveland, Baltimore Minneapolis, Even NY when you get outside of Manhattan a CBD in its own right, maybe certain sections of BK or Qns.

I mean you REALLY need to have lived somewhere else to REALLY put things into perspective about Pittsburgh and see it in a new light....

That's one of the Problems with Pittsburgh, besides its college residents, Pittsburgh is very un-transient compared to most of the cities I've listed. Its Fact people who live in their hometowns all their lives have more of a negative look on their native cities, Right here even in NY, I run into natives that are dying to leave NY, they cant take it anymore, for some odd reason most want to go to Chicago where they think its NY without all the glitz and glam and to an extent their Right! that really what Chicago is.

Philadelphia
Cleveland
Baltimore

are all just as NON Transient as Pittsburgh, even Minneapolis is more Tansiant then this group. IMO TTransients a healthy thing...

Sorry for the long run on folks!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
IMO DC and Chicago does the best against Pittsburgh where they still fail against Pittsburgh is Cost of Living.
We had a similar impression: we liked both of Chicago and DC when I was living there and my wife was still living in Pittsburgh, and we considered living in both places. But in addition to my wife having a job in Pittsburgh she really didn't want to give up, the difference in housing prices (and school prices in cases where public schools wouldn't have been an option) was really stark.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:54 PM

269 posts, read 711,724 times
I prefer Baltimore, DC, and Philly to Pittsburgh. It's not necessarily a city to city comparison, but a region to region comparison. I like Pittsburgh a lot - I wish I could transplant the city somewhere else. I haven't been impressed with the schools (city and county) or hospitals - which are supposed to be Pittsburgh strongest areas. I would be willing to stay if I could have Maryland schools and a better hospital system.
And while COL is higher in DC and Philly and more comparable in Baltimore, most salaries also reflect this. (not teaching positions unfortunately)

Aside: I think you have to live in a city for a while to truly appreciate the unique neighborhoods - Baltimore has a TON of great neighborhoods. My sister lived in Center City for 5 years - so I love that part of Philly (but that's all I'd know). We all know how many great ones there are in Pittsburgh, but as a visitor, I would probably never know.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorrisn View Post
And while COL is higher in DC and Philly and more comparable in Baltimore, most salaries also reflect this. (not teaching positions unfortunately).
I can only speak directly to DC, but I am fairly familiar with costs and salaries there. It is true that salaries tend to be a bit higher in DC, but they aren't nearly as much higher as they would need to be in order to make up for the housing price differential.

Of course maybe the housing bubble bursting will help lower that gap. On the other hand, prices in the central part of the DC metro area (DC itself, and close-in parts of Maryland and Virginia) don't seem to have crashed as much (at least last I knew).

Old 06-21-2009, 06:14 PM

315 posts, read 401,750 times
My main problem with Pittsburgh is that it isn't very diverse or cosmpolitan.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:29 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,590,616 times
^^^ Yea maybe Pittsburgh lacks compared to NY or Chicago, but really its not fair to compare Pittsburgh to those much bigger cities.

I beg to differ, Yes Pittsburgh comes from a Blue collard past and that is going to be resembled thru history, but if you look at the enitre East End of the city, along with now Downtown and Mt. Washington (Dining)....Pittsburgh is Very Cosmopolitan in parts....again if your wanting NY and Chicago style big, its just not going to happen here, hell you can't even find that in Philly and its twice the size of Pitt, Philly too comes from a very blue collard past.

Comparing Pittsburgh to:

Buffalo
Cleveland
Cincinnatti
St Louis
Portland
Seattle
Baltimore
Dallas
Minneapolis

and Pittsburgh is either just as good or better than this listed cities, when it comes to Cosmopolitan, Cultrual and Art.

Hell Pittsburgh can even compete with:

Boston
Philadelphia
Atlanta

in those same fields.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:39 PM

82 posts, read 192,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

Hell Pittsburgh can even compete with:

Boston
Philadelphia
Atlanta

in those same fields.
That's good to hear, since I am moving to the Pittsburgh area next week.

I've lived for decades in Atlanta and Boston, and Pittsburgh reminds me of Louisville, KY, where I lived for a few years. I hope it really is in the same ballpark as Boston, culturally speaking -- that would be terrific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh