Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:15 PM

104 posts, read 352,431 times

Advertisements

Hi--

We're relocating to Pittsburgh this July from the Boston area and looking for a good neighborhood to settle in, one that's good for our little kids and might make us some money in the long run. We're looking into some of the areas I've read about on this board, thanks!

I do also have two horses and am looking for (ideally) horse property within a 20 minute commute to the Southside (I know, that would be a miracle), OR a place to board them within that area.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 09:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,662,571 times
20 minutes from soutside? That's a tall order, but we can get you there in probably 30 to 40 minutes during rush hour.

North of Pittsburgh, check out O'Hara Township. It's part of Fox Chapel School District. You might be able to find yourself a farm there because it's still fairly rural.

Other than that, I'd say head to Washington County. You might be able to find some land in Peter's Township, but it's booming with development so it might be hard to find the type of property you're looking for. That's the best school district in Washington County---and ranks among the best in the state.

If you have to resort to boarding, check out Hampton Township. It's a great school district and there are many boarding stables in the area for you to chose.

btw, all districts (Fox Chapel, Hampton, and Peters) are all townships that hold a nice state ranking.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,040,445 times
Hopes do you think some of the "snobby" Mt. Lebanon and Upper St. Claire folk ride horses?

Surely they do.. polo and riding for leisure and all that jazz. I wonder where they store them. That is a real good question.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,662,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
Hopes do you think some of the "snobby" Mt. Lebanon and Upper St. Claire folk ride horses?
I'm just not as familiar with the south hills as I am the north hills. Mt. Lebanon is so densly populated that I can't envision any stables nearby. Upper St. Claire would be a reasonable distance to the stables in Bridgeville area. I guess people in Mt. Lebanon would also be reasonably close to the Bridgeville stables. But in Hampton, they can live right near their horses instead of driving 15 minutes.

Quote:
Surely they do.. polo and riding for leisure and all that jazz. I wonder where they store them. That is a real good question.
That is a real good question! I know just the lady who might know the answer to that question. I'll leave her a note tomorrow.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:50 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,845,999 times
Washington County.
Like Hopes says Peters Township is a great place and you can still buy horse land there. but it's getting expensive.
Depending on what your needs are (price, kids schools etc...) North Stabane township is quite a bit cheaper than Peters and has LOTs of land avail. but schools are quite as reconised as Peters. (they are good though)

Old 04-16-2007, 03:56 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,940,279 times
Default Of course we do!

Quote:
Hopes do you think some of the "snobby" Mt. Lebanon and Upper St. Claire folk ride horses
Of course we do!
Good horse storage can be had in the Cecil Township area just west of Bridgeville, or in South Park, Finleyville, Peters , or Canonsburg. Sadly these are not polo horses or fox hunting horses; just plain old commoner horses. The really classy horses are in Fox Chapel or Sewickley Heights.
If you want a simple and bucolic setting for your horse, try Rivendell Kennel at 724-941-9631. (They primarily store dogs, and as far as I know, none of them play polo either).
All the places I mentioned are a good 45+ minutes to the Southside.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:16 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,845,999 times
Rivendell Kennel at 724-941-9631

Best Kennel in the South hills!!!

Old 04-23-2007, 03:23 PM

299 posts, read 1,005,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
The really classy horses are in Fox Chapel or Sewickley Heights.
My poor West Newton Oldenburg begs to differ!

Old 04-27-2007, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,140 times
I've just recently listed my farm for sale, it's in the Cranberry area. I'd be glad to give you more information. It's a heartbreak to sell it, but job is moving the family to the east coast.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 6,769 times
There is a barn very close to the Southside. If you are still looking, let me know. It has 26 acres. I have two mares and I enjoy being so close to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh