Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:48 PM

15 posts, read 68,288 times

Advertisements

We're still sitting on the fence over moving to Pittsburgh because I'm not getting as many good vibes from my company about this move as I'd like so here's my question for those who have moved to Pittsburgh from either east or west coast --

As everyone knows, jobs on the east or west coast pay a higher salary (because they cost of living is so much higher, they have to). When you moved to Pittsburgh, did you keep your current salary or did you have to accept a pay a cut? (I'm not asking for a figure, mind you, just if you kept your current salary or not, or if you had to accept the cut, how much percent it was, not the real $ figure)

If you kept your salary at your "east or west coast" level, did your company pay for anything (would love some examples of for what) or did they argue that by keeping your salary at the high level compared to local Pitt salaries you are fairing well enough that you don't need, say, your moving expenses covered, etc.?

As I said, I'm a bit disappointed that even though my company (a small non profit) says they'd like me to stay with them, it looks to me like I'd have to shell out quite a bit of money and uproot my family just to keep my current job, where the alternative is that in the Boston area there might be fewer jobs open but I'm sure I could find something and take my time finding it (I'd get a nice severance package if I don't move).

Any other points that you wish you had considered before moving? Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by jodalanvista; 06-27-2009 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 03:14 PM

269 posts, read 1,054,479 times
We moved here so I could go to back to school, and my husband quit his job to move here (he worked for a hospital so it was not possible to transfer). I think most companies either pay or at least subsidize moving expenses - but if the arm of the company if closing, I'm not sure how much bargaining power you have.

My husband took a huge pay cut (he still grumbles about it since the rest of our bills are exactly the same). Housing is cheaper in Pittsburgh on average but we got lucky on our east coast house (it was cheaper than our pittsburgh house). Nothing else is cheaper (except perhaps car insurance - but ours is not cheaper). Food/gas for the car/gas/electric/phone/cable/cell/internet/sewer/water are exactly the same. Oh and property taxes could be significantly more here too.

It really depends on what % of your salary goes to pay rent/mortgage. If you're spending 30 or 40%, then Pittsburgh is a steal, if you're spending 15 -20%, you don't really notice that much. And for us, the amount is the same - so we're spending proportionally more now that our household salary is much lower.

Compared to Boston, Pittsburgh housing is ridiculously cheap, but don't forget about the taxes - they generally are around 30-40% of your mortgage payment. Our house was 150K, but we pay just under 4K in property taxes. A friend has a 400K home on which he pays 12K a year in taxes. I was shocked when I moved here, so I just try to forewarn people not to be completely fooled by the home prices.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:23 PM

58 posts, read 247,350 times
Depending on where you live, PA income tax could be 3.07% + 1% in Pittsburgh suburbs, or 3.07% + 3% within Pittsburgh city limits. MA income tax is 5.3%.

Groceries in Pittsburgh are slightly more expensive compared to Boston. Car insurance in Pittsburgh should be cheaper compared to Boston. No excise tax for cars in PA.

Depending on the industry, you may find that there are more or less job opportunities in Boston than you would find in Pittsburgh.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:28 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
I have to ask this question, is nobody on this board aware of the abatement deal going on in the city of Pittsburgh until 2017 with new residential construction? You don't pay ANY local or state property or income taxes until then. That's a pretty freaking good deal if you ask me.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:10 PM

892 posts, read 2,391,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodalanvista View Post
As everyone knows, jobs on the east or west coast pay a higher salary (because they cost of living is so much higher, they have to). When you moved to Pittsburgh, did you keep your current salary or did you have to accept a pay a cut? (I'm not asking for a figure, mind you, just if you kept your current salary or not, or if you had to accept the cut, how much percent it was, not the real $ figure)
My wife and I moved here a little over a year ago, after living in various parts of Virginia (not the parts with mountains or low costs-of-living). We actually picked this city because I wanted to retire and go back to college, and while she makes very slightly less than her position typically merits in other markets, it's nowhere near a balance - we come out way way ahead.

I don't know what the 'burbs are like here because I never go to them unless I need something from a mall, but the city itself is awesome and hilariously cheap. I can never get over how you go out at night and the regular prices for everything are what would be considered "happy hour" or "specials" anywhere east.

I know old school y'inzers insist that this is the east coast and the midwest officially starts at the Ohio state line, but trust me, in terms of getting along on your dollar, this is totally the midwest (and that rocks, IMHO).

Old 07-02-2009, 03:22 PM

5 posts, read 7,692 times
I am moving back to Pittsburgh in 2 weeks. Many generations of my family were born, raised and still reside in Pittsburgh--some in the burbs, some closer in. I can only speak from a rental perspective--it rent is less. The salaries are less for the most part depending on your occupation and education maybe lateral to other similarly sized cities. Other things being equal, Pittsburgh is great. There is a neighborhood to fit every age group and the city has history. There is a certain "charm" which to me is only something you can feel and experience when there. Let me add that it took my moving away and living in 3 different large cities to really appreciate Pittsburgh.

The only slightly negative thing I can say is--I need to rent an apartment in shadyside/squirrel hill and I have a 10 pound dog--most of the places I really like won't even consider pets. Any help or advice would be great! I will be in pittsburgh on July 8 and 9th. If anyone is looking for a great tenent, never been late on rent EVER then please let me know! I would prefer to stay at 850 or less. I only need one bedroom but don't care if they are more. thanks !

I can't wait to get back!

Old 07-03-2009, 03:01 PM

14 posts, read 40,874 times
Default moved here almost a year ago

Moving here with my husband, I took about a 7K pay cut from the west coast, while my husband got a significant salary increase. We moved here from CA, which was crazy expensive and even with the pay cut, things are cheaper here. Especially eating out, even at the spendier, trendier restaurants...Housing is much cheaper...we rented here and in CA. Now we own a house here--more money but bought a house that would have cost at least 2 -3x more in CA.

Also we live in the city, and use public transport for work, so we only use our car on weekends and spend a lot less on gas here....

We would not move back to CA, especially with the state's fiscal meltdown...

Old 07-04-2009, 09:07 PM

133 posts, read 391,700 times
Quote:
Car insurance in Pittsburgh should be cheaper compared to Boston.
I wouldn't count on it. Maybe things changed drastically when MA let the insurance companies determine their own rates, but I pay $300/year more here than I did in MA for the same car.
Most things cost pretty much the same, though supposedly it's cheaper in Pittsburgh. I don't have data, but I think the taxes are higher here than in MA because you have to pay the city, the county, and seemingly even more entities. Where it might be cheaper is that you don't have as many higher end stores to spend your money. I haven't found anything like Newton or Wellesley around here. No, I don't count Macy's or Nordstrom's as high end per se.
Consider what you like about Boston and see if the Pittsburgh area has something comparable. Visit before you decide. I know I'll get slammed for this, but Boston is MUCH more stylish and modern than Pittsburgh. I lived up there for 14 years and wish my hubby could get a job up there so we could move.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:10 PM

58 posts, read 247,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pic-chic View Post
I wouldn't count on it. Maybe things changed drastically when MA let the insurance companies determine their own rates, but I pay $300/year more here than I did in MA for the same car.
Most things cost pretty much the same, though supposedly it's cheaper in Pittsburgh. I don't have data, but I think the taxes are higher here than in MA because you have to pay the city, the county, and seemingly even more entities. Where it might be cheaper is that you don't have as many higher end stores to spend your money. I haven't found anything like Newton or Wellesley around here. No, I don't count Macy's or Nordstrom's as high end per se.
Consider what you like about Boston and see if the Pittsburgh area has something comparable. Visit before you decide. I know I'll get slammed for this, but Boston is MUCH more stylish and modern than Pittsburgh. I lived up there for 14 years and wish my hubby could get a job up there so we could move.
Here is one source regarding the ranking of auto insurance rates:
Insure.com - Best & Worst States for Auto Insurance Premiums

Pulled from the article that is dated July 10, 2008:
Washington, D.C., ranks highest in the nation for combined average annual auto insurance rates: The latest figures show an average annual combined premium of $1,342.80. In the No. 2 spot is New Jersey, followed by New York, Louisiana, Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

Personally speaking, my auto insurance rates were higher in MA compared to PA.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:52 PM

46 posts, read 131,721 times
We just moved here a week ago from upstate NY, so I can't give you a whole lot of info, but here's what I can tell you. People here seem to be nicer. We had 4 neighbors in the apartment complex introduce themselves to us the day we moved in, compared to ZERO neighbors who ever greeted us in our three moves in NY state. My husband asked for a transfer here when a position opened because his job was at risk in NY, so they didn't offer any moving expenses. However, his bosses here are also nicer, and they paid him for the two days he took off to move us out here and unpack. The suburb homes are higher than upstate NY, but we were in a very depressed area. And they talk about high property taxes here, but they are actually lower than what our NY area taxes were. And if you are on the west side of Pittsburgh, you can commute from Ohio or WV (about 45 min to an hour) and have very low property taxes (although I don't know how the income taxes would work out in that situation). So that's our experience so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh