Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:38 PM

255 posts, read 1,094,209 times

Advertisements

As long as you don't follow me too closely. I am a married man, after all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 12:59 PM

17 posts, read 35,110 times
Cool hi folks...

i grew up in the burgh but left about 25 years ago. i've passed through on overnight trips and can see that the city has changed tremendously.
i'm considering a move back home. i no longer have friends living there, but have been researching through the internet and it sounds as if things can be kind of tough there unless you're white collar in a stable position, or blue collar in a union. (please,don't anybody get upset with me-just going by what i've read).
here's the thing:
i'm a middle aged african amercian professional musician (lead & rhythm guitar-touring, studio, etc.). i'm very good at what i do and never have a problem getting or keeping a job.
what i'm wondering is if there's anyone who can tell me what the live music scene is like in pittsburgh and the surrounding areas? is there even one? are there many or few places to play? what styles of music are predominant?
any info anyone could give me would be appreciated.
thanks.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
You might be better off starting your own thread on the subject. It'll get more noticed, esp. if you provide specific info in the thread title.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:59 PM

206 posts, read 688,641 times
On the Bloomfield/Greenfield question, I definetely vote Bloomfield -- it has a nice coffeehouse, restaurants, etc. *plus* it is a MUCH easier walk/bike to Oakland than Greenfield, IMO. Greenfield is on the back side of the hill that makes up that part of town. Oakland is kind of the lower front side with Squirrel Hill at the top. To get to Greenfield on your bike you are going to have to bike way uphill -- probably either up Forbes to Sq Hill and down Murray to Greenfield or down to Hazelwood and up the backside of Greenfield -- either way it's a serious uphill climb both ways.

To get to Oakland from Bloomfield, on the other hand, you can take the Bloomfield Bridge, curve around on Bigelow to Craig St., then head west into Oakland on a number of streets. There will still be hills involved but nothing of the magnitude of what you'd have going to Greenfield. Biking to Greenfield will be impossible in the winter, too due to snow and ice, where Bloomfield would be doable a few more days.

This map shows you the relationship of the neighborhoods -- Pitt is located where Central and West Oakland meet. Image:Pittsburgh Pennsylvania neighborhoods.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Finally, if you only have a couple days, if you're not looking for "student" housing (read CRAPTASTIC) -- be sure to specify that to your realtor/agent. Ask them to send you digital pics or something -- you would not believe the junk they will show you.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:46 PM

67 posts, read 288,276 times
Stringergirl -

Definitely start your own thread so you can attract the music scenesters.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:16 AM

Red face ahhhhhhh........

aaahhhhh.......you have to forgive me. i'm new to this site, and i don't really know how this works. i was looking for the best place to live there, and i got sidetracked to another thought and i just wanted to throw it out there. i'll try to find my way around.
thanks.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:21 PM

okay everybody. i'm a dinosaur when it comes to the internet (this is my first computer). i'm embarrassed to ask, but can somebody tell me how to start a new thread? i'm pulling my hair out trying to get this.
thanks sooooooooooo much!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 07:52 PM

206 posts, read 688,641 times
Go here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/pittsburgh/

Then click on the blue New Thread button on the left.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
When you're in the Pittsburgh forum looking at the listing of threads, on the top left side of the screen there is a button titled "new thread."

Click on that and it will take you to a screen where you can fill in your thread title and post.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
OK, in the upper left-hand corner, look for this:

City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh

Click on "Pittsburgh." Then, in the upper left-hand corner again, look for the button-looking thing that says "New Thread"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh