Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:34 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times

Advertisements

Not much new stuff is being built in the Fox Chapel Area. It is pretty much an older area. Chapel Harbor is pretty nice. I know a few people that live there and they seem to like it. I don't think you have to worry about crime too much there. There is also a new development near Fox Chapel called the Reserve at Fox Chase. I don't know the pricing and it is not in the Fox Chapel School District.

Cranberry, Seven Fields and Mars are nice areas with lots of shopping. Your husband can take the turnpike to Monroeville and then the parkway to Penn Hills. I know of a guy that does this same commute. Clearly, if he wants something like his 15 minute commute this area isn't for him. Don't know much about Murrysville but it does have good schools. And commuting to Penn Hills would be pretty easy form there although not 15 minutes. I am guessing that your husband commute is going to be longer than 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 11:02 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,715 times
Oh here are some links:
Mountain Bike Club
PORC Pittsburgh Mountain Biking, Western Pennsylvania Mountain Biking

Cycling Club
Enrico's Tazza D'Oro -- Bicycling

Monthly Races and occasional runs
The Greater Pittsburgh Road Runners Club

Elite Running Club (I'm not good enough for this!)
Pittsburgh Pharaoh Hounds Distance Running Club
Less Elite Club
People Who Run Downtown - A Pittsburgh Running Group

And just an fyi - there are several halfs around here this fall - one in Pgh, one in Wexford, and one on a rail trail! I'm not sure what your preferred distances are - but the only local marathon is not until next May.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:42 AM

15 posts, read 37,971 times
Ha, yeah, I think we are spoiled right now with a 15-minute commute. Robrobrob - Do you know about how long the drive is from the Cranberry area to Penn Hills? I am going to check out that new development you mentioned in the Fox Chapel area too.

We are coming up within a month to check all these areas out, so all this info gives me great places to start. Thanks so much. )

Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 AM

Thank you tmorrisn! I love all these links...Very useful! One thing I hear about running in PBurgh is that you cannot avoid hills...which I guess is good in a way...can only make you better! )

Old 07-17-2009, 11:55 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,451 times
Check out Murrysville and Monroeville, too. Don't limit yourself to just Cranberry, and Fox Chapel may be out of your price range, and doesn't seem like the type of "suburban" you are looking for.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:56 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
Do you know about how long the drive is from the Cranberry area to Penn Hills? I am going to check out that new development you mentioned in the Fox Chapel area too.
I bet it is about 45 minutes, almost all highway, so it could be less if you are a lead foot.

When you move to the Burgh you may want to check out a shoe store called Elite Runners and Walkers in Robinson. The guy that owns it is pretty involved in organizing races around the burgh. My favorite local race is a trail race called the Buffalo Stampede in June. Also, North Park is packed with both runners and bikers. When I am training, I like to do my long runs there. It is 5 miles around the lake and has ample water.

Where in Penn Hills is your husband working? If he is close to the parkway it makes a difference.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRunner View Post
Thank you tmorrisn! I love all these links...Very useful! One thing I hear about running in PBurgh is that you cannot avoid hills...which I guess is good in a way...can only make you better! )
Wherever you end up living, make sure you check out the local trails in the area:

The Montour Trail

Friends of the Riverfront (http://www.friendsoftheriverfront.org/new_pages/heritage.htm - broken link)

Collier Friends of the Panhandle Trail - Home

They are great for a quick jog or a whole day of biking. The trails are mostly over flat terrain too with just some gentle hills.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:19 PM

Those trails (esp. the Montour) looks awesome...I love running on soft gravel trails. I am so happy to see so may great places to run/bike...and their seems to be a great sense of community with it, which is great!

The job I think is actually closer to 376 than 76. I believe it is right before you enter the limits of Monroeville.

I should say too though that we are not definitely moving yet...We are in the process of deciding if Pittsburgh is the place for us, as an opportunity has arose for us to work/live there. All this info is really great in helping make that decision!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:53 AM

14 posts, read 53,527 times
I think one of the most "active" suburbs in the city would be Mt. Lebanon. Here you will find multiple parks with tennis courts, basketballl, basektball, etc. You will see many people biking and jogging in this area on any given day. This may be a little fair out from Penn Hills, but the living environment is ideal.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,284 times
My dad has property in Ellwood City. You talk about an old fashioned small town, well if you are planning kids, this is a great place to live. People do not lock their doors and it is the village that watches the kids the same way it was when I was growing up.
People leave bushels of produce on your doorstep, as gardens are a big thing here and making their own wine. It is a very Italian town.
I was born here and you have more country roads for running and biking with NO traffic whatsoever.
Cranberry is overgrown and the housing is expensive. You can get a gorgeous house in Ellwood City.

People are starting to come here who want to have the old quaint small town from Cranberry. Rents are good as well. Geneva College is there and it is beautiful small ivy league type college. My dad went there too.
My dad has at least 1 house for sale totally redone, granite, original claw leg tub, was gutted and all new, etc. We are trying to restore his homes to keep them as historic monuments. They are well over 100 years old. I think if you live in Penn HIlls, that might be too far, although the highways and turnpikes are built and it is a short 25 min to Pittsburgh. Not sure where you would be.
FYI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh