Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:16 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,221 times

Advertisements

Toosie, I got your DM, and that short cut is NOT walkable (at least I wouldn't walk it, and I like to walk...too many motorists) and especially not from NORTH Oakland, no way. Plus, I can't give you the names of the streets, I use, in order to mapquest it, I just know the short cut off the top of my head.

Just catch the 54C or the 59U. You catch the 54C on North or South Craig Street, get off on 22nd Street in the South Side, and walk towards 27th Street to get to the South Side Works. The 59U will take you right IN South Side Works. You can catch that anywhere along Forbes Avenue in Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:43 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,889,775 times
Little Mizz Pittsburgh - I think you mean catch the buses on 5 Av, Forbes runs away from the S Side.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Little Mizz Pittsburgh - I think you mean catch the buses on 5 Av, Forbes runs away from the S Side.

You can catch the 59U, across from CMU, on Forbes, but then they'll eventually turn onto Fifth into the heart of Oakland.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,585,459 times
Thanks Little Mizz P!

BTW, I live in North Oakland near Shadyside and agree with what most of the folks here have been saying about the different sections of Oakland. I love having the medical and education centers here - and lots of public transport (for Pittsburgh) - but it's much nicer when the students aren't here LOL. Also, since the OP hasn't been here - I just thought I'd point out that the entire Oakland area is pretty small and easily walkable.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Thanks Little Mizz P!

BTW, I live in North Oakland near Shadyside and agree with what most of the folks here have been saying about the different sections of Oakland. I love having the medical and education centers here - and lots of public transport (for Pittsburgh) - but it's much nicer when the students aren't here LOL. Also, since the OP hasn't been here - I just thought I'd point out that the entire Oakland area is pretty small and easily walkable.
You can say THAT again. The buses aren't as crowded with all those book bags knocking you all upside your head..and don't have an end seat, because you will most likely get your head whacked off by a book bag...There should be a rule that states you must take off your book bag and carry it in FRONT of you before boarding the bus.

That's funny that you think the ENTIRE Oakland area is pretty small. I actually think its pretty big. You must like to walk A LOT, toosie.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:25 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
but it's much nicer when the students aren't here LOL
And you can actually go to a coffee shop and get a table--most of the time every table has one person with a laptop who sits there for hours and hours.

I was at lunch with colleagues the other day, and one of them said "this place is nice--why don't we come here more often?" And I said, "because it's usually packed with students."

Old 07-24-2009, 12:25 PM

295 posts, read 667,443 times
Thank God for summer!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:41 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,585,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
You can say THAT again. The buses aren't as crowded with all those book bags knocking you all upside your head..and don't have an end seat, because you will most likely get your head whacked off by a book bag...There should be a rule that states you must take off your book bag and carry it in FRONT of you before boarding the bus.

That's funny that you think the ENTIRE Oakland area is pretty small. I actually think its pretty big. You must like to walk A LOT, toosie.
I DO walk a lot and it probably started because of the bus situation! Don't even get me started - especially with all the older people here and the students refuse to get off their butts to offer a seat to someone who could actually use it. Grrr.

Anyway, I used to walk home from my job downtown sometimes just to avoid the crowding. Also will walk to the Poli's end of Squirrel Hill, to Trader Joes in East Liberty, mmmm to Brusters in Greenfield, or even to the Waterfront (nice walk along Beechwood Blvd). Love to walk through Schenley Park but some of the roads aren't walker friendly and my usually excellent sense of direction gets messed up in there for some reason - can make for some l-o-n-g walks by mistake!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I DO walk a lot and it probably started because of the bus situation! Don't even get me started - especially with all the older people here and the students refuse to get off their butts to offer a seat to someone who could actually use it. Grrr.

Anyway, I used to walk home from my job downtown sometimes just to avoid the crowding. Also will walk to the Poli's end of Squirrel Hill, to Trader Joes in East Liberty, mmmm to Brusters in Greenfield, or even to the Waterfront (nice walk along Beechwood Blvd). Love to walk through Schenley Park but some of the roads aren't walker friendly and my usually excellent sense of direction gets messed up in there for some reason - can make for some l-o-n-g walks by mistake!
Schenley Park is confusing while driving, so I can imagine how confusing it is by walking. I know how to get to the swimming pool, skating rink, the playground, the golf course, the David L. Grove, and a few streets around Phipps but it took me YEARS to learn how to manuever my way around that park....

You live in NORTH Oakland and you walk to all those places like that?! You go girl! I bet you are FIT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh